Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any wondering about sams chimney chin.. they said they are all like that. �� who the heck thought that was a good idea?! The prototype didn’t look like that.. nor did Sam in the movies... ��

Got my heads today (both in the same envelope). The eyes of my Frodo seem to have the new paint scheme. It doesn't really bother me, though.

But my Sam also has the puzzling chin paint smudge. It's kind of pronounced, too. Noticeable from a few feet. Luckily, my Sam 1.0 head actually looks really good (better, I thought, than a lot of pictures I saw) and I think I prefer that original sculpt. So I"m gonna keep that one on the figure.

But it really is bizarre and kind of baffling. There are some shots over the course of the trilogy where Sean Astin has a little 5 o'clock shadow, but that's more of a filmmaking/make-up goof. Hobbits aren't supposed to have any facial hair at all.

Going back to an sub-par paint scheme is such an odd practice after nailing the details on the slim versions. It's almost like the head sculpt expansion packs are the left overs from a batch they didn't get right in the transition between the original Frodo figure and the slim version. Feeling the pain of those who got the new dodgy version. That would give me sleepless nights!

Got my heads today (both in the same envelope). The eyes of my Frodo seem to have the new paint scheme. It doesn't really bother me, though.

But my Sam also has the puzzling chin paint smudge. It's kind of pronounced, too. Noticeable from a few feet. Luckily, my Sam 1.0 head actually looks really good (better, I thought, than a lot of pictures I saw) and I think I prefer that original sculpt. So I"m gonna keep that one on the figure.

But it really is bizarre and kind of baffling. There are some shots over the course of the trilogy where Sean Astin has a little 5 o'clock shadow, but that's more of a filmmaking/make-up goof. Hobbits aren't supposed to have any facial hair at all.

Curious, when you got your 2 heads in the package, if the outer shipping label states both heads?

Mine arrived last night, but only came with the Frodo head, and the shipping label also only said Frodo. So, I'm still waiting on my Sam head.

I don't really remember what was on the outside of the envelope. I tossed it immediately after opening. I think it was just an envelope (not padded) with addresses and stamps. Inside were the two boxes, each wrapped in some bubble wrap. I don't remember anything on the envelope indicating what was inside. But I could be wrong. I didn't examine it very carefully as I was excited to get a look at the new heads.

Well. Not only we are getting the heads last, we are also getting those with a subpar paint. :gah: :slap
And was about to be optimistic...
Asmus, come on, show some care for your customers.

Same boat. Just got my two heads and brown star on Frodos eyes along with five o clock shadow on Sams chin. Really questioning the decision making here and neither of these two choices make any sense at all when the original batch of slims seem spot on. Very disappointed.

Curious, when you got your 2 heads in the package, if the outer shipping label states both heads?

Mine arrived last night, but only came with the Frodo head, and the shipping label also only said Frodo. So, I'm still waiting on my Sam head.

Both of mine came in one envelop. It just said adult collectible on the customs form.

So check this out. I just did a quick comparison photo of my expansion (Right photo) and my Slim Frodo (Left photo) I purchased a while back because I got tired waiting. And boy. Now I'm glad I did. Not only are the eyes a much brighter blue it appears that the Slim version has a much better skin tone paint app as well. 20180522_134207.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yea. That’s night and day. Again, the choice to change it up in mid production to a more inferior quality is baffling. Not cool.

Well yes -- this is what I've been telling everyone for the last two weeks. :lol

Your comparison really does demonstrate the difference nicely. The new Frodo is a paler version in every way -- skin, hair, and eyes. It's like they tried to mimick the desaturated nature of the film.

All I know is Frodo didn't have green eyes in the movies.

It jumped out at me and I have nothing to compare it to.... but I've seen enough pictures to know mine had something changed about it. Turns out I was the first to get the "new" paintjob.

Unfortunately, this was a choice on Asmus' part -- now that I see everyone is getting the same new paint, I cannot refute mine as a mistake. It's too bad Asmus made this change without telling anyone. If they did, I would have ordered Frodo sooner to get the last of the old paint style. I think its preferable. It look more like Frodo.

I might dare to add a little blue into the eyes myself. I just don't care for the green eyes they gave him.

It jumped out at me and I have nothing to compare it to.... but I've seen enough pictures to know mine had something changed about it. Turns out I was the first to get the "new" paintjob.

Unfortunately, this was a choice on Asmus' part -- now that I see everyone is getting the same new paint, I cannot refute mine as a mistake. It's too bad Asmus made this change without telling anyone. If they did, I would have ordered Frodo sooner to get the last of the old paint style. I think its preferable. It look more like Frodo.

I might dare to add a little blue into the eyes myself. I just don't care for the green eyes they gave him.
Well (and I know this shouldn't be something one has to do, but) you could always turn to one of the talented painters to fix him for you. I'm considering looking into it myself for this expansion head.

Well (and I know this shouldn't be something one has to do, but) you could always turn to one of the talented painters to fix him for you. I'm considering looking into it myself for this expansion head.

It can be cheaper to buy a new version.

It can be cheaper to buy a new version.
With no guarantee that you are getting the version with the better paint app. Unless it's been opened and you know it's the better version. But if you are getting it custom painted then it'll end up being better than the slim version as well.

Back