Asmus Toys: Eowyn in Armor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She looks perfect! Couldn't be anymore pleased with how this figure turned out. Fantastic work guys!

My honest opinion is that there is something wrong with her eyes. Her right eye is smaller than her left, and while the left eye is looking straight ahead, her right eye is looking across to the left (the right eye socket seems to be sculpted off center), making her a little cross eyed. The costume seems well made, hopefully by the time we get to Tauriel and Legolas and/or Thranduil, all these kinks are worked out.

I'm not sure of any major differences in costumes between the franchises, but I hope the Asmus Legolas is based more on LOTR than The Hobbit.

He could come with both Mirkwood and Lorien Bows and matching quivers and the Elven cloak.

He could come with the Rohan shoulder armour and sword too for the Helm's Deep look.

He could come with Orcrist to represent his Hobbit look.

I guess one figure could essentially cover his appearances in the five films he was in.

LOTR and Hobbit outfits are completely different, so it would be a smart move from Asmus to release two separates figure, the LOTR one with packed with the stuff you suggested, and the Hobbit one with the regular look:
1f0a59f0e7c09114faf4dabd604284ac.jpg

and the beautigul Mirkwood armor:
01b29591896854005eec2fd74510fd5f.jpg

(these are concepts slightly different from final clothes)

In that case, I hope they release an LOTR version - post Lothlorien - so he has the cloak and the Lorien bow and quiver. That pretty much covers his look from the end of the first film to the end of the third. Only real variant is the armour and extra sword for Helm's deep.

Well, a friend got me an early look at Eowyn...

First, the pictures (hopefully you'll stick around for the review)...

What's in the box...

Eowyn Arrives 1.jpg
Eowyn Arrives 2.jpg
Eowyn Arrives 3.jpg

Now, the figure mostly futzed...

Eowyn 5.jpg

Eowyn 7.jpg

Eowyn helmet COMP.jpg

Eowyn COMP 1.jpg

And here's a large pic so you can see the detail up close better:

Eowyn futzed for review.jpg

Eowyn Review:

HEAD: The head looks exactly like the factory pictures we saw, perhaps even better – though it may just be the excellent paintwork. The eyes are sharp (no wonky irises) and the skin tone looks soft and real. Asmus says that after 4 tries they have found a factory that they are happy with, which is fantastic news. Personally, I like the real hair although I know that many will find it difficult and frustrating. But I just can’t see how sculpted hair would have worked with this character. Tip: If you dab your fingertips lightly with gel you can shape the hair the way you like. But it does take some time and attention. All worth it when you see how the hair catches the light and compliments the gold highlights on the armor.

BODY: happily, this figure’s joints are tight and can hold up the heavy metal sword and shield. I do find the body a bit slim and lanky for Eowyn – this figure is a bit leggy, good for Arwen, but a bit tall for Eowyn (ankle pegs could be removed to shorten her a tad – I did not do this for the pictures). Also, the arms are very slender. It looks fine dressed but it does effect the gauntlets (more on that later). However, a body swap may give many pause because the torso armor is glued closed over the body. The hands on this figure held position but were easily removed (the gloves are very soft plastic). All in all though, the body works.

OUTFIT: As much as I love the face, I believe the outfit is where this figure really excels. The layered materials mesh really well together: brown leggings, green tunic, the golden chainmail and then armor with the red trim. The colors are not too bright but clearly the gold, red and green of her outfit, muted like they’ve seen battle. The chainmail on mine seems dark in hand but the pictures bring out the gold paint laid over. I think it just needs to catch the light. The gold on the thigh panels really bounce light. Once all the gear is on (belts, scabbard, shield, sword) it’s a really impressive and detailed piece – certainly Asmus’ most detailed work yet. That said, this outfit does have some drawbacks to note. First, the gauntlets are so narrow as to look unbelievably thin, and they are so tight on the forearm (I thought they may be glued at first) that they cannot be laid over the shirt sleeve, which then bunches up the sleeve at the base of the gauntlet. There is a fix for this, and you can remove them and stretch them (I used the backend of my toothbrush) so that you can tuck the shirt through, which gives a bit more girth. Second, the boots themselves are the feet, so no ankle articulation, which limits battle-stance – a shame for a warrior. However, they hold the leg firmly and no worries of wobbly ankles. Mine stands easily with a stand. Lastly, the neck is incredibly slender. Freakishly so. Fortunately, you can easily stuff the neck with cotton to help fill it out to you preference (T1 guys know this trick). So a few problems, but with fairly simple fixes. But again, once this outfit is futzed properly, it is simply outstanding.

EXTRAS: Eowyn comes with a wonderful belt + scabbard which include some real metal bits and hoops and the scabbard looks to be real leather (or at least pleather). The belts are stiff but a hairdryer will help soften it to shape. The sword is real metal – nice – with a soft plastic handle (a little odd but it works fine). She also comes with a full shield and a broken shield. Both are good, nicely painted to be part wood, part metal, but the broken one is really awesome looking, dented and splintered. I wish she could hold the half-broken shield but alas it’s a prop for the ground. I love the helmet, expertly detailed and weathered – even if a shame to cover her face. The only nit is the large non-working chin strap. I think it might be worth trimming (cutting) it more narrow. There is an included weathered and slightly frayed cape which is stiff as a board until run through water-treatment; the stiffness does help when shaping it later though. There are two stands, a regular stand and a realistic “earth” stand. But she stands fine on her own. She also comes with 4 additional hands.

OVERALL: I really love this figure. It’s a shelf popper. The detail work here is Asmus’ best to date. I think Asmus is making leaps and bounds with each release. And this new factory looks promising for future headsculpts.

Last edited:
Awesome review, Wor-Gar! Didn't know you had contacts and had no clue whatsoever that this was so close to release. Figured we had a few months, yet. Anyway, figure and accessories look really nice. Not something I want, but great to see Asmus is stepping it up for LOTR fans.

Excellent review WG!
This figure really looks like a turning point for Asmus, very happy for them and for us collectors.

Awesome review, Wor-Gar! Didn't know you had contacts and had no clue whatsoever that this was so close to release. Figured we had a few months, yet. Anyway, figure and accessories look really nice. Not something I want, but great to see Asmus is stepping it up for LOTR fans.

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the kind words!

I was told this is now an "in stock item" so expect it soon.

REPOSTING FOR OTHERS:

Well, a friend got me an early look at Eowyn...

First, the pictures (hopefully you'll stick around for the review)...

What's in the box...

View attachment 169281
View attachment 169282
View attachment 169283

Now, the figure mostly futzed...

View attachment 169285

View attachment 169286

View attachment 169287

View attachment 169284

And here's a large pic so you can see the detail up close better:

View attachment 169288

Eowyn Review:

HEAD: The head looks exactly like the factory pictures we saw, perhaps even better – though it may just be the excellent paintwork. The eyes are sharp (no wonky irises) and the skin tone looks soft and real. Asmus says that after 4 tries they have found a factory that they are happy with, which is fantastic news. Personally, I like the real hair although I know that many will find it difficult and frustrating. But I just can’t see how sculpted hair would have worked with this character. Tip: If you dab your fingertips lightly with gel you can shape the hair the way you like. But it does take some time and attention. All worth it when you see how the hair catches the light and compliments the gold highlights on the armor.

BODY: happily, this figure’s joints are tight and can hold up the heavy metal sword and shield. I do find the body a bit slim and lanky for Eowyn – this figure is a bit leggy, good for Arwen, but a bit tall for Eowyn (ankle pegs could be removed to shorten her a tad – I did not do this for the pictures). Also, the arms are very slender. It looks fine dressed but it does effect the gauntlets (more on that later). However, a body swap may give many pause because the torso armor is glued closed over the body. The hands on this figure held position but were easily removed (the gloves are very soft plastic). All in all though, the body works.

OUTFIT: As much as I love the face, I believe the outfit is where this figure really excels. The layered materials mesh really well together: brown leggings, green tunic, the golden chainmail and then armor with the red trim. The colors are not too bright but clearly the gold, red and green of her outfit, muted like they’ve seen battle. The chainmail on mine seems dark in hand but the pictures bring out the gold paint laid over. I think it just needs to catch the light. The gold on the thigh panels really bounce light. Once all the gear is on (belts, scabbard, shield, sword) it’s a really impressive and detailed piece – certainly Asmus’ most detailed work yet. That said, this outfit does have some drawbacks to note. First, the gauntlets are so narrow as to look unbelievably thin, and they are so tight on the forearm (I thought they may be glued at first) that they cannot be laid over the shirt sleeve, which then bunches up the sleeve at the base of the gauntlet. There is a fix for this, and you can remove them and stretch them (I used the backend of my toothbrush) so that you can tuck the shirt through, which gives a bit more girth. Second, the boots themselves are the feet, so no ankle articulation, which limits battle-stance – a shame for a warrior. However, they hold the leg firmly and no worries of wobbly ankles. Mine stands easily with a stand. Lastly, the neck is incredibly slender. Freakishly so. Fortunately, you can easily stuff the neck with cotton to help fill it out to you preference (T1 guys know this trick). So a few problems, but with fairly simple fixes. But again, once this outfit is futzed properly, it is simply outstanding.

EXTRAS: Eowyn comes with a wonderful belt + scabbard which include some real metal bits and hoops and the scabbard looks to be real leather (or at least pleather). The belts are stiff but a hairdryer will help soften it to shape. The sword is real metal – nice – with a soft plastic handle (a little odd but it works fine). She also comes with a full shield and a broken shield. Both are good, nicely painted to be part wood, part metal, but the broken one is really awesome looking, dented and splintered. I wish she could hold the half-broken shield but alas it’s a prop for the ground. I love the helmet, expertly detailed and weathered – even if a shame to cover her face. The only nit is the large non-working chin strap. I think it might be worth trimming (cutting) it more narrow. There is an included weathered and slightly frayed cape which is stiff as a board until run through water-treatment; the stiffness does help when shaping it later though. There are two stands, a regular stand and a realistic “earth” stand. But she stands fine on her own. She also comes with 4 additional hands.

OVERALL: I really love this figure. It’s a shelf popper. The detail work here is Asmus’ best to date. I think Asmus is making leaps and bounds with each release. And this new factory looks promising for future headsculpts.

Thanks Wor-Gar. I look forward to getting mine with the replacement Witch King body.

Hate the doll hair. If she did not have a helmet I would pass on this. Any pics of the replacement body that is supposed to ship with her?

Back