Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really liking this figure, which coat are you guys gonna display it with? not sure to go with the elven one or the thicker

Gondor cape all the way. The Sideshow figure didn't have it, so all these years i felt like it was missing that big sexy cape.

Now that i have it, it's going to stay there.

Gondor cape for me too. It is so nice!
Elven one on the sculpted hair but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the Gondor cape.

really liking this figure, which coat are you guys gonna display it with? not sure to go with the elven one or the thicker

I have the lothlorien one on the rooted hair and the Gondor one on the sculpted hair. For some reason it was harder for me to get the rooted hair to sit right with the Gondor one.

This new Boromir by Asmus Toys is pretty damn awesome! Asmus have excelled again with the costuming and accessories, with beautiful use of materials and attention to detail.

The head sculpt isn't perfect, but they've definitely improved on the facial paint application and rooted hair. The likeness also looks pretty good from most angles, so I dont mind too much. All setup and displayed with the others, he looks amazing! Can't wait to complete the Fellowship with Gimli!

20180114_233923_001b.jpg

Im loving this figure on my shelf! Posed him with the cape as it’s what’s been missing all these years from my sideshow one.

Love the quality and colours of the figure. Head sculpt is decent but doesn’t blow me away. Also keen to get he sculpted head. Weren’t they going to offer that individually as a seperate piece to order?

He looks so much shorter than Legolas standing next to him though... I know in real life Orlando is 1.8m and Sean is 1.79. That’s basically the same height. And I feel like boromirs boots would make him taller. Not sure the reason what the figure would look smaller? Maybe I’m just so used to the bulk of the sideshow version it’s a trick of the brain.

I think this new Boromir by Asmus Toys turned out pretty nicely. The head sculpt isn't perfect, but it looks fantastic on display. Can't wait to finish the Fellowship this year!

20180120_144841b.jpg

Same here. I think rooted hair is getting better and better and customizers can do some unbelievable stuff with rooted hair but right now for most mass produced figures I feel that sculpted hair turns out better.

just picked mine up from post office and I am impressed, got the sculpted hair and glad I did. Looks great in person, really brings out the likeness. For those who like the rooted hair for customizing great, but to me the sculpted is the way to go on this one. Paint detail on the hair could be better (that seems to be an issue at Asmus) but that is an easy fix.

One other thing I noticed is Asmus got REALLY cheap with packaging, both the sword and dagger were loose (had to find the dagger in package), the plastic holding it together doesn't even snap together, probably saved them $0.20/figure going the cheap route. Overall plastic in packaging is really flimsy, especially compared to Hot Toys, but even three zero does a better job with that. $170+ figure and they try to save a few dollars with cheap plastics? thats stuff you do with $20-$40 figures... Hopefully the actual plastic used on the figure didn't go that route

One of the things that I did immediately with the rooted hair was to take a tiny bit of gel and get a few strands to come down the sides of his face more like what is going on with the sculpted. It instantly makes it look more like Boromir and in my opinion ultimately looks better than the clumpy sculpted hair. How the hair frames his face is important for that look that people are responding stronger too on the sculpted version.

Yes, it does take some interaction with your figure to get this but this is by no means expert futzing. They are action figures after all, not statues.

Had a futz with Boromir's hair to get it more screen accurate. Washed out the original product and liberally coated it with Dax wax to keep the hair strands together and make it easier to style. His hair moves around quite a lot in the movie depending on scene but that is how it should look :)

20180125_113900.jpg
20180125_113849.jpg
20180125_113829.jpg
moreomir-boromir-was-one-of-the-most-noble-characters-in-the-lord-of-the-rings-and-here-s-why-jp.jpg

Asmus had an accident and sent me Sam instead of Boromir :slap ... ironically I ordered Sam and Frodo earlier in the day so imagine my surprise when Sam rocks up minutes after placing the order. Hopefully I can get it sorted and don't end up with two Sams and no Boromir!

Had a futz with Boromir's hair to get it more screen accurate. Washed out the original product and liberally coated it with Dax wax to keep the hair strands together and make it easier to style. His hair moves around quite a lot in the movie depending on scene but that is how it should look :)

View attachment 389382
View attachment 389383
View attachment 389385
View attachment 389386

Nice work on the styling!

The key to Bormir is getting that hair flattened and a little bit tucked behind the ears.

I still haven't futzed my Aragorn yet. I think I'll wait till Boromir arrives and we'll all have a salon day. :lol

Nice work on the styling!

The key to Bormir is getting that hair flattened and a little bit tucked behind the ears.

I still haven't futzed my Aragorn yet. I think I'll wait till Boromir arrives and we'll all have a salon day. :lol

Cheers! Aragorn is in the barber's chair next once I've received my replacement head as my original has a chunk of hair missing.

P.s. Sorry for the side photos, not sure why my phone uploads like that!

Asmus had an accident and sent me Sam instead of Boromir :slap ... ironically I ordered Sam and Frodo earlier in the day so imagine my surprise when Sam rocks up minutes after placing the order. Hopefully I can get it sorted and don't end up with two Sams and no Boromir!

Just as an update on my earlier post, Asmus have been really quick to get back to me and it looks like Boromir should be making his way to me with Frodo very shortly (no duplicate Sam hurray). Thanks Asmus :yess:

So, I've been working on Boromir's hair over the last couple of days and have it close to where I like it. Still a little work to be done. I'm looking to get more volume under the front pieces around his face. Combed almost everything out, some cutting and Dax wax. Here's a detail of a shot I'm working on...

Arm-Yourselves-Little-Ones-detail-900.jpg

That's a great shot. :clap

The more I look at this figure, the more I love it. I've fiddled a bit with the hair and I think mine's right where I want it. I know it's really early, but this might end up being a strong contender for my Figure of the Year.

Back