Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't like it, don't buy it. In the end, it's your choice.

I bought ThreeZero's Jon Snow even though it's one of the worst headsculpt i've ever seen. 3Z didn't even try to fix it and didn't care about customer feedback. So like most people, i replaced the head with a custom. I didn't want to take a guess and wait for another company to get the license eventually.

I bought the first Han Solo from Hot Toys. Same deal. It doesn't look like Ford, so i replaced the head. Wanted to buy Luke Skywalker from that line, but it's even worse and there's no option to replace the head, so screw it.

In the end, the figures were all sold out. It's going to be the same with Boromir. Then people will ASK for a second run. It's ok to be pissed, voice your opinion, but don't come back crying in a few moths because you missed the boat. You can also wait for Molecule8 to "maybe" do a Boromir in like 4-5 years.

It's your collection. It's your choice.
From my understanding Molecule8 only has the 1:4 license.

And that's the same thing I'm doing. Buying these and plans to replace the sculpts, either if Asmus does them better in their expansions or have to go custom route. Fortunately/unfortunately these are probably our only 1:6 offering we will ever see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Imagine pouring your heart and soul into creating these figures for fans and then having to reveal it on here and on Facebook. Brutal.

Agreed. Folks have really taken advantage of the fact that Asmus actually responds. Unlike Hot Toys, SS, 3zero, etc where you have no idea if you're opinion falls on def ears or if, on the slight chance, they actually tweak the sculpt. While they don't blatantly say it, most of the mentioned companies have the "Don't like it, don't buy it" mentality based on the fact that the proto is usually what you get. IMO, all of 3zero's sculpts are so far from perfect and they hardly include any accessories. Just for Jon Snow, there have been multiple custom sculpts, new custom belt (and scabbard I believe), custom better sized boots and hands. You pretty much have to buy all new pieces. yet you don't see 3Z saying "hey we realized this could use some improving, here's an opportunity to get an upgraded version" they just carry on. There's a proper way to give constructive criticism yet most of the ppl on FB have diarrhea mouth and throw manners out the window b/c they're talking online.

Yeah, my policy has always been: "Don't say anything online you wouldn't say out loud to a person's face."

I may not have a perfect track record with that, but more often than not, it usually keeps me from being a total jackwad. :lol

I'm glad to see the sculpt has ears and paint work looks better. A read of their facebook page shows that Asmus are working really hard on this sculpt and are listening to feedback to try and make it better which is really good of them.

One thing that would boost the likeness would be the hair hanging a bit more limp (not so full/less body to it - yep I sound like a shampoo ad), have a few strands hang over this face a little and have the ears poke through. Perhaps this can be achieved by futzing with the figure.

I agree regards the hair, it does need to hang limp. Asmus can only reasonably do so much, so id like to know what product is best to use to wet it down ourselves even more.

19225068_10154470966086968_7893631231149900436_n.jpg

19145885_10154470966076968_142784740149926984_n.jpg

That looks terrific! Bravo, Asmus!

(And thanks Wor-Gar for posting here for those of us who can't see Facebook at work.)

Now if they can get the rooted hair and the hair sculpt to lay really tightly to the head, this could be fantastic!

That is looking great so far, Asmus!

Thanks, Wor-Gar, for posting the pics.

I was just at the Asmus website this morning, doing yet another comparison between the molded and rooted hair sculpts. I'm definitely leaning towards rooted hair. Haven't made my pre-order yet but I should very soon. (That will be 4 preorders so far...) :rock

As disappointed as I was when they first showed pictures of Boromir, I'm slowly coming around. Boromir is my favorite Tolkein character. I've wanted to get all of the LOTR figures they've put out so far, but have been disappointed with their final product each time, as the sculpt just didn't seem up to par for me. Boromir, on the other hand, is getting better and better, and I think I'll finally, finally have the opportunity to order an Asmus figure. Huzzah!

It's a very subtle change, but I think thickening the mustache has made a big difference. Sean Bean has a somewhat tall upper lip area and the mustache on the earlier paint-up was a little narrow.

I think this looks fantastic!

Back