Asmus Thorin 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think im going to display this with thranduil and art figures the king and have a kings of middle earth display

I’m really looking forward to this figure! For the most part it looks amazing... but I REALLY hope they fix his hairline. His forehead seems too high compared to photos of the character (even the photo of Armitage on the provisional box art). At the moment he appears to have a bit of a “five-head”.

Again, everything else looks great, the costume, accessories, and distinguished streaky hair... all great.

I’m really looking forward to this figure! For the most part it looks amazing... but I REALLY hope they fix his hairline. His forehead seems too high compared to photos of the character (even the photo of Armitage on the provisional box art). At the moment he appears to have a bit of a “five-head”.

Again, everything else looks great, the costume, accessories, and distinguished streaky hair... all great.

Agree they could bring the hairline down slightly.

Quick 'shop job - yeah, maybe:dunno...original and slightly lowered hairline....

ASMUS_Thorin.jpg

ASMUS_Thorin_edited_hair.jpg

Not seein' a game changer here - maybe????:dunno

Then again, IMO it depends on what reference photos ASMUS is using, how that would look to-scale and effect the way the hair lays in 1/6 scale and/or the wig. Because - re the WETA Chronicles books and 'zine articles - WETA/Jackson did try to be consistent but there was some shifting in Thorin's prosthetics and hairline. WETA said they thinned Thorin's prosthetics more as the filming went on. (Also Armitage had commented on his face being CGI'd tho don't know how much). Legolas' face seemed to shift a bit through the films too.

Like, as the movies went on it seemed like Thorin had less prosthetics, a higher forehead, and the hair got more luxurious:monkey3. LOL I figured it was a side effect of weight loss from traveling combined w. royal dwarf blood:cool: (or some ****). Not sure a lot of the audiences noticed:dunno. Collectors and artists etc. would tho. Guessing ASMUS had to pick a "look" at some point for a face that morphed slightly through the films. And had less heavy prosthetics.

Thorin_bofa.jpg

Thorin_river.jpg

So yeah, maybe bring the forehead down a BIT (1/8" ??) but for me - if it's too late in production for that I'd rather ASMUS left as is because I can futz if needed, and looks like ASMUS done a stellar job with the eyes, hair, nose, expression. :clap

LOL I worry about Thorin and Bilbo a lot as a collector:panic:. E.g., my Gentle Giant bust Thorin poly has great hair but psycho bad-paint beady eyes, my WETA Thorin poly is a bit generic and the hair could be better. I need a GREAT Thorin and Thranduil was great (except wig a bit thin.)

He's up on Sideshow now. No mention of the Erebor key or his pipe. Is that a minor oversight? Or is the version Asmus is selling directly some kind of exclusive? Just curious.

He's up on Sideshow now. No mention of the Erebor key or his pipe. Is that a minor oversight? Or is the version Asmus is selling directly some kind of exclusive? Just curious.

Didn't see mention on ASMUS page either. Hope ASMUS checks in - key, pipe, and Orcrist sheath all seen at SDCC proto - maybe it's early yet.? We need those.:drool
I wouldn't object to a dwarf cloak either:monkey3

Didn't see mention on ASMUS page either. Hope ASMUS checks in - key, pipe, and Orcrist sheath all seen at SDCC proto - maybe it's early yet.? We need those.:drool
I wouldn't object to a dwarf cloak either:monkey3

Yes, yes,
the key and the pipe.
they are both in the figure set~

PS: when we making the accessories list, we usually go on the things we are 100%.
it is better to get "extra" than "less" as a consumer, right?

Yes, yes,
the key and the pipe.

PS: when we making the accessories list, we usually go on the things we are 100%.

Yes! I’d always rather have more options.

Yes, yes,
the key and the pipe.

ASMUS - THANK YOU for stopping in and commenting:)! And of course thank you! for making Thorin and these characters:clap. For me Thorin is my favorite Middle Earth character so the accessories mentioned are iconic to film scenes that IMO are beautifully done so they are important.

Plus the original film designs and aesthetics of the movies IMO were spectacular:love - WETA and designers did incredible world-building for Hobbiton, Erebor, Mirkwood, Rivendell, etc. The care you take is much appreciated. LOL of course I ordered more than one Thorin.:cool:

Good points,all, Sassafras. The hairline is not a dealbreaker for me, and my issues could possibly be addressed by futzing with the hair once I get the figure. I don’t mean to bash or be negative, I just know Asmus watches this forum, so I thought I’d throw my two cents in here, just in case the issue could be addressed (assuming others felt the same way). This is looking to be an awesome figure, whatever the case.

Thanks too, to Asmus! Great news about the pipe and the key! I remember how pleasantly surprised I was when I got Gandalf and found you had quietly included his scarf (I don’t recall it being listed among the advertised accessories!)

Good points,all, Sassafras. The hairline is not a dealbreaker for me, and my issues could possibly be addressed by futzing with the hair once I get the figure. I don’t mean to bash or be negative, I just know Asmus watches this forum, so I thought I’d throw my two cents in here, just in case the issue could be addressed (assuming others felt the same way). This is looking to be an awesome figure, whatever the case.

Thanks too, to Asmus! Great news about the pipe and the key! I remember how pleasantly surprised I was when I got Gandalf and found you had quietly included his scarf (I don’t recall it being listed among the advertised accessories!)

For sure. Srsly I noticed *slight* portrait differences during the films. If I think the hairline is too high I will futz with mine too (Sanding? Dremel? the upper portrait edge? That will depend on the hair placement too...:dunno). Tho it's better if ASMUS just QCs during production. (On the other hand I figure anyone doing Thorin as 1/6 or 1/4 had to pick a "look" re the changes that went on during filming e.g. prosthetics and/or CGI tho they weren't extreme.)

I'd really rather not make major fig changes tho:horror so hope production is stellar.

Guess I'm just relieved looks like we are getting a good Thorin-portrait. At least to me, ASMUS has gotten his features down and a good fierce, but not over-the-top, expression:clap. For me having thick rooted hair - no skimping - was critical too for this character. ASMUS already seems to do fantastic costume details - am impressed with stuff like GTG's cloak that was nice and full where a lot of other companies skimp whenever they do cloaks and robes. Also Thranduil's metal swords.:clap

no, middle earth is not as popular in Taiwan,
we debut a few other things, more Asian orientated.
LOL ASMUS...on the *American* and European side of things we luv our hobbitses and elves and dwarves...and orcs..:cool:

Asmus, do you have plans about this Thorin version? (please say yes)
8686839c28dce868abd84ab7654ee46f.jpg

Psssst Asmus -

Not a deal breaker:cool: but don't forget about the pair of the back beads or clips? that Thorin has in AUJ - seem to be large metal beads or some sort of metal wrap loosely gathering some locks of hair - or just tied in - at the base of his neck in back...Can't tell from proto pics if these were included or not.

Thorin_backhairbead_reference.jpg

Thorin_backhairbead_reference2.jpg

Not sure if these were gold or bronze:dunno - re the films sometimes they look silver - but the character does seem to have lost them in Desolation of Smaug in Mirkwood. (later the character just uses twine/leather replacing these)

Cosplay example - Blue Mountain Metalworks, red brass:

Thorin_back_hairbead_redbrass.jpg

Tho I will re-construct if I have to with either beads or some kind of soft metal. I think Thorin had an ear clip too:panic:, at least some of the time.

But for me anyway if they are not included no big deal. Will be futzing with fig anyway. :frank

Back