Asmus Morgul Lord unbox !

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, been meaning to ask this and no disrespect to Asmus but besides the scale and swap out weapons is that that much different than the Toy Biz line in terms of finish? I am looking at my Sauron, also plastic, black and silver metal with some attached weathered black clothing and can't quite see how one is 10 bucks and the other is 160.

I think the articulation alone along with a PROVEN winner of a base figure warrants some expense. Plus, factor in the licensing and such, plus the fact that this has some detailed clothing, multiple weapons, switch-out hands, AND to top it off, a METAL helm. Yeah...maybe $160 is a bit high, but that is today's 1/6th market. At least is isn't $225 or higher like most of the HT figures.

Personally, I think the $160 is a solid price considering what other 1:5 figures cost today.

No Josh I don't. Its bigger. Its plastic. It has black wrinkled cloth hanging from it. Is the helmet real metal? I don't see this looking much different than Sauron, sorry.

Its gangly like most 1:6 figures are because all that articulation, while making it possible to do so many poses, often means its darn near impossible to get all the joints right. It looks nice but I find this premium 1:6 pricing is really meant for insane details on soft goods and insane facial likenesses with awesome paint jobs. We aren't getting tailoring here. The paint looks nice but the same basic black and silver. There is no facial likeness here.

No Josh I don't. Its bigger. Its plastic. It has black wrinkled cloth hanging from it. Is the helmet real metal? I don't see this looking much different than Sauron, sorry.

Yes, the helmet is metal. If you don't see this looking better and more worth the money than a $10 Sauron I don't know what to say. :dunno:lol

Better yeah, 140 dollars better. Nah.This looks like a Halloween lawn decoration. Its not that Asmus did a poor job its an awful choice of a character. Show us some tailored soft goods on a hobbit or Fellowship human with a Hot Toys like face sculpt and paint and then I can see 200 dollars.

It was a long tortuous road but I knew I could get Josh to say something less than glowing about a LOTR collectible.

The sculpted parts look very nice. Unfortunately, the tattered clothing doesn't. The huge threads hanging hurts the scale effect. A finer weaved material would have looked significantly better.

I think it's still a sharp looking initial release for this company and I'm definitely looking forward to their line.

Because these companies take something, dress it up in a fancy box and charge crazy amounts for it and people eat it up because it seems like a fair price for what you get. This is an action figure. The morgul lord doesn't deserve this level of attention to detail because the character simply lacks that detail to make it worthwhile. Like I said before, take a human character where companies often have trouble hitting the likeness in sculpt and paint and I can see the prices charged. I still made a valid point about the display quality here. And thanks for reminding me I didn't have to buy this. I almost forgot.

The sculpted parts look very nice. Unfortunately, the tattered clothing doesn't. The huge threads hanging hurts the scale effect. A finer weaved material would have looked significantly better.

I think it's still a sharp looking initial release for this company and I'm definitely looking forward to their line.

Mixed media like this rarely does work when the clothing isn't tailored. It looks like what it is, some black rags hanging from a figure.

Because these companies take something, dress it up in a fancy box and charge crazy amounts for it and people eat it up because it seems like a fair price for what you get. This is an action figure. The morgul lord doesn't deserve this level of attention to detail because the character simply lacks that detail to make it worthwhile. Like I said before, take a human character where companies often have trouble hitting the likeness in sculpt and paint and I can see the prices charged. I still made a valid point about the display quality here. And thanks for reminding me I didn't have to buy this. I almost forgot.

Thing is many of us feel the opposite. It's great you're looking out for us but it frankly isn't something any of us are gonna consider when we buy something. So it's cool you don't think it's worth the money but a fair amount of us do.

Back