Asmus LOTR Gandalf the White figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Toybiz version had rooted hair...

review_lotr12_6.jpg

MY EYES!

Sculpted beards never look great. And Gandalf is all hair and beard. Elvis' Gandalf looks amazing. I really think that's where this hobby is going if it is to evolve to the next level.

Sculpted beards never look great. And Gandalf is all hair and beard. Elvis' Gandalf looks amazing. I really think that's where this hobby is going if it is to evolve to the next level.

I disagree. I can point out several Gandalf pieces from either Weta, SS, or them together that the piece looks fantastic. That's why I'm glad I stick to statues. The hair thing is just to barbie like for me.

I disagree. I can point out several Gandalf pieces from either Weta, SS, or them together that the piece looks fantastic. That's why I'm glad I stick to statues. The hair thing is just to barbie like for me.

I get it. Statues serve different needs I think. Articulated figures seem to appeal more to those who want to "recreate" moments and have multiple characters together. In that aspect, long beards and hair can hamper articulation -- like GTG. I think even you will come around once they get faux hair to really look outstanding and realistic. There's a long way to go yet though. But its begun.

Sorry, but I can't think of a statue or bust that actually looks more like Gandalf than any of the figures. And all statues and busts are far less realistic than modern sixth scale sculpts.

I get it. Statues serve different needs I think. Articulated figures seem to appeal more to those who want to "recreate" moments and have multiple characters together. In that aspect, long beards and hair can hamper articulation -- like GTG. I think even you will come around once they get faux hair to really look outstanding and realistic. There's a long way to go yet though. But its begun.

I get ya. If they can do that I got no problem admitting I was wrong. :duff

Sorry, but I can't think of a statue or bust that actually looks more like Gandalf than any of the figures. And all statues and busts are far less realistic than modern sixth scale sculpts.

Huh? I can name at least 3-4 right now. The SSW GTW bust, SS PF of GTG, SS Statue, and Weta's Hobbit GTG are all infinitely better than any figure we've seen and it's not close.

I'd have to agree with Michael on most points about the Asmus GtW. But for the SSC vs. Asmus Gandalfs - the SSC version has better accessories/costume. I like that Asmus tried some things - the metal sword, the embroidery on the vest, etc. But some pieces are barely better than the DiD from before Sideshow. The belt, the scabbard in particular.

Besides the neck gap, this picture also shows a lack of fine details in the hair sculpting. His locks are pretty chunky.

review_asmusgandalf_5.jpg

Back