Asmus - 1/6 Gollum/Smeagol

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man..I tell you what…Asmus does not deserve fans like you guys. I seriously feel bad for all that got screwed with this figure…and Ash...and Boromir...and Arwen…and Frodo…Im sorry if this is out of line but..I get the desire to collect a franchise or buy a figure of a favorite character even if it’s not from a big name like HT or whatever but when is it enough after so many disappointments? How much money do you have to throw at company with a mediocre/bad rep to finally realize that doing that doesn’t make them better? I’ve read up on just about every Asmus production thread, because I want to be educated about this hobby, and most are riddled with disappointment. Have they learned? No! Why? because their products continue to be bought. Asking them to do better isn’t going to make it happen. Refusing to buy their stuff will, even if their proto images look good. which they always do. I know they’ve had a few good releases but ask yourself if they were the norm or the exception.

Look. I‘m all about giving people slack or giving them the benefit of the doubt. The foot needs to be put down at some point tho. Sometimes what someone needs is to hit rock bottom and learn a hard lesson.

Again…I’m sorry if I’m stepping on toes, you all seem like great and fun people. By no means am I blaming the consumers either. I’m just saying you do have a choice.
Totally understand and I agree with what you said. (y)
I've been trying to tell people the exact same thing all this time, even some of them hardcore asmus defender labelled me as asmus hater.
Because of that, I refrained myself from saying more, but for me personally, I stopped buying their products after my disappointment with DX Arwen.
However, I'm still active commenting on asmus threads, basically trying to push them to do the right thing such as mentioning them here so they will reply to their customers who are having issues with the products, and that's what I'm doing here as well: making sure they are responsible.
Why am I doing this? because I don't want to let them walk away doing bad things to other collectors, like what they did to me.

Recently, I don't have to say much, as asmus already got hard lessons from their own doings. From Ash to Gollum and few other issues in-between, they got hit pretty hard. Do they learn from their mistakes? I hope so.
As I always said, I never want asmus to close their business. But they need to stop their shady acts and do what's right.
The consumers always have a choice, true, but one of the reasons they are still a fan of asmus is because there ain't no other company willing to make any LOTR secondary/supporting characters. Asmus is their only hope, and that's why they are still a fan and accepting asmus figures even with issues all over it.

👆 This...

This is the whole point, Asmus is following this thread, and if I were them, I would think it's 50/50 in the community of those who'll put up with their crap, and those who won't... That means they'll just keep going as they are.

I don't want to tread on anyone's toes either, but we need to stop apologizing for them or giving gentle encouragement to "do better"...
I work and save too hard to keep this hobby going and they are not living up to their side of the agreement.

It's time for a boycott.
I did that, yes. I still give them the encouragement to do better, because again, I want them to be a good company.
So I will write my hard critique on them, and call them out, but when they try to do the right thing, I will also credit them.
I do agree with you though, that they need to be given a hard lesson. Which I think they got, from their own doings (ash, etc).

As for your call for boycott, well I already did that on my end. And I'm so glad I did. :)

I know, brother, and you couldn't find a more straight up guy on here than you.
But if you had bought this figure, which I know you haven't, would you be so charitable?

I'm honestly not taking advantage of the situation but this is definitely NOT fair.
I'm genuinely really upset, I can't return it, it will cost me $100 which they won't give back.
Now this is what I keep asking to their rep here. Will they cover the shipping cost, and also the tax?
And reading your msg, knowing that they will not cover the return shipping, I think that is awful.

Basically no consumers with a defect product should lose money just to have the promised product in their hands.

Sideshow finally sent me the email that my Smeagol order with them will ship within 10 business days.

Because of the discoloration issue, I debated cancelling the order before this email arrived, but after Asmus's assurances in here that they will replace the body if it becomes discolored, I decided to keep the order in place. There were other factors, too, like how I paid for the order completely with SS reward points, I have already purchased a base to put the figure on, etc., so I'm hoping for the best!

Sideshow finally sent me the email that my Smeagol order with them will ship within 10 business days.

Because of the discoloration issue, I debated cancelling the order before this email arrived, but after Asmus's assurances in here that they will replace the body if it becomes discolored, I decided to keep the order in place. There were other factors, too, like how I paid for the order completely with SS reward points, I have already purchased a base to put the figure on, etc., so I'm hoping for the best
Worst case you can repaint.

In no way am I saying this is OK. HT and others have had issues too. The smart thing is just to eat the cost, ship out replacements. Which sux 'coz anything else will either be delayed, or stopped, to fix this. Company funds diverted. F*&^.

The whole discolouration debacle got me to crack open my Luxury set and, fortunately, my figure appears to be unaffected- so far.

I prefer the Sméagol head but did have to rip it open and peel off that weird, gummy, internal casing in order to grant his eyes the ability to look towards his nose.
Those pegs are just too long- and yes, it’s very frustrating when you move his head and the neck adaptor pushing his eyes out of place.
Definitely a figure that requires some handling time to learn and understand how to best set it up.

Only real issues I found beyond the eyes are the ankle pegs on the flexible legs having a bit too much flesh coverage so the feet pop off easily, and the fixed legs not having quite enough ankle flesh so those joints are more visible. The left ankle leg on one set of bent legs is also quite loose.
Also, the torso articulation is mostly useless as the rubber body will ping him straight back to a neutral position.

The diorama base is great though. That fish frozen in resin is a wonderful touch and, in my opinion, the base is essential to bring the best out of this figure.

I haven’t attempted to take any decent photos of this guy but he really does look a lot better in person. It’s actually strange how photographs completely fail to capture the details or texture that are present in reality.
A little desaturation is essential also.

All in all, I thought this would be my biggest Asmus regret, but I actually quite like this set.

Would certainly like those other two heads to upgrade though.

9B256D03-81A9-48DD-8899-94F47AA5AD4B.jpeg
D96C3BFF-2EC3-4BC5-ABFB-05647E3CF491.jpeg
B61AD2F0-2B97-48D5-8D62-EF3D05D2DA26.jpeg
1BE5101A-5EC4-4352-A92B-4C54BCD13BCA.jpeg
ED8E39B2-0972-4CD8-A9E1-13EF0BD50AB9.jpeg
92FE6358-2C89-411B-85E1-FE6FC548D1AF.jpeg

The whole discolouration debacle got me to crack open my Luxury set and, fortunately, my figure appears to be unaffected- so far.

I prefer the Sméagol head but did have to rip it open and peel off that weird, gummy, internal casing in order to grant his eyes the ability to look towards his nose.
Those pegs are just too long- and yes, it’s very frustrating when you move his head and the neck adaptor pushing his eyes out of place.
Definitely a figure that requires some handling time to learn and understand how to best set it up.

Only real issues I found beyond the eyes are the ankle pegs on the flexible legs having a bit too much flesh coverage so the feet pop off easily, and the fixed legs not having quite enough ankle flesh so those joints are more visible. The left ankle leg on one set of bent legs is also quite loose.
Also, the torso articulation is mostly useless as the rubber body will ping him straight back to a neutral position.

The diorama base is great though. That fish frozen in resin is a wonderful touch and, in my opinion, the base is essential to bring the best out of this figure.

I haven’t attempted to take any decent photos of this guy but he really does look a lot better in person. It’s actually strange how photographs completely fail to capture the details or texture that are present in reality.
A little desaturation is essential also.

All in all, I thought this would be my biggest Asmus regret, but I actually quite like this set.

Would certainly like those other two heads to upgrade though.

View attachment 654800View attachment 654801View attachment 654802View attachment 654803View attachment 654804View attachment 654805
Those are wonderful pics, Chopper Face!! (y)
I agree, the base is good looking, especially the fish inside the small pond.
I hope your Smeagollum body will not discolor over time. (y)
Unfortunately mine has suffered the same fate as the others. Both sets of the rubberised legs and arms have turned blue/grey. The body hasn’t as of right now…

I emailed Asmus customer service, so hopefully they can help.
Dang.. sorry to hear that!
This is the 8th case of discoloration here.
Hope you get a replacement body!

I'm guessing ASMUS will test the new replacement parts first, before sending them out:unsure:

I would hope so, but I don't think that's going to be the problem.

It makes no sense that this is only happening in a few cases, sooner or later it will be everyone.
Are they going to replace everyone's bodies with all new tooling and painting?
Even if they wanted to, that's just not going to happen.

I'm really surprised how forgiving some of us are being towards them, but this is going to be a real test for Asmus.
Either they do the right thing, or lose what little credibility they still have, and all those supporters still left will wake up.

We already know they won't issue refunds, and we have still not been given even a vague ETA on replacements.
And they've gone silent on here again as well.

It's not looking good.

Last edited:
I would hope so, but I don't think that's going to be the problem.

It makes no sense that this is only happening in a few cases, sooner or later it will be everyone.
Are they going to replace everyone's bodies with all new tooling and painting?
Even if they wanted to, that's just not going to happen.
Hopefully not, but if yes, then it's only a matter of time, and I hope asmus is still around by then.
They have to be responsible for all affected bodies, as they promised. Again, this is asmus' promise, so take it with a grain of salt.
I'm really surprised how forgiving some of us are being towards them, but this is going to be a real test for Asmus.
Either they do the right thing, or lose what little credibility they still have, and all those supporters still left will wake up.

We already know they won't issue refunds, and we have still not been given even a vague ETA on replacements.
And they've gone silent on here again as well.

It's not looking good.
Well.. I can't speak for other members here obviously, but I am not that forgiving towards them.
Most people here know that very well. But sometimes I get tired of being attacked by their loyal defenders even though I'm speaking the truth, or calling out asmus (who's been silent) to help fellow members here with an asmus related issues.
Recently, I feel like I don't have to say anything, and let the karma police do the job.
asmus got scr*wed by themselves, by their own action, and they have to accept the consequences.

So I hope the Smeagollum issue here is the final major issue from asmus, and I hope they are fully responsible.

My Smeagol is finally out for delivery for Sideshow today. I won't be able to open it up until Sunday at the earliest, but wish me luck everyone!
Good luck with your Smeagol, cbulas1!!

Back