As prices go up do you start to change?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I only purchased three Hot Toys (DX Joker 2.0, Scar Predator and DX 13 BD Terminator). It was a "lean" and "strict" year. This is a direct result of increase prices. There was a handful of figures that I thought "were cool" and considered purchasing (i.e.Barney Ross, Avatar etc.) but in the end I knew that those funds should be saved and put towards a figure I would really be excited about.

I have have accumulated funds that I have saved for Batman Returns figures which I do not want to touch or use. When they get released we know that prices will be much higher than when the original launch date was mentioned (late 2012). So as a result I keep adding funds into there. Infact rather than touching those funds I sold my Tracker Predator to make additional funds for DX13 (and I was OK with it).

My forecast purchase for 2014 is SS Darth Vader which I have put money aside for (clear of my BR funds). And HT Elder Predator in which I plan on selling my Berserker Predator to make funds (again not touching my BR funds)

I am starting to shift out of 1/6 right now and move into another hobby. I don't think I'll ever be out 100% but I have started to skip a lot of PO's.

When I first started collecting HT they were expensive but you got your money's worth. Now they are just expensive and are giving you less and less value.

I have to agree with the comment of "if it's too expensive don't but it" I skipped Vader because of price point and that was the start of the end for me.

Also keep the stuff you already have. I spent a lot on my collection and I damn well plan on keeping it and enjoying it for many years to come. Just because you aren't buying doesn't mean you have sell everything :)

I am starting to shift out of 1/6 right now and move into another hobby. I don't think I'll ever be out 100% but I have started to skip a lot of PO's.

When I first started collecting HT they were expensive but you got your money's worth. Now they are just expensive and are giving you less and less value.

I have to agree with the comment of "if it's too expensive don't but it" I skipped Vader because of price point and that was the start of the end for me.

Also keep the stuff you already have. I spent a lot on my collection and I damn well plan on keeping it and enjoying it for many years to come. Just because you aren't buying doesn't mean you have sell everything :)

:exactly: I plan on keeping what have for a very very long time, that is part of the reason i am very picky about what I buy.

I am starting to look carefully these days. Even more so for me in New Zealand as have to consider postage as well especially on the bigger items.
Still the odd deal to be had on ebay and other such sites but getting harder to find.

Most definitely. Like most you really focus on what "matters" unless you have bottomless pockets. Right now I rotate my stuff due to lack of space, if I haven't had something on display for a while and I have no attachment to it I'll sell it. I'm not trying to collect boxes. The sale of one will facilitate the purchase of another, but with prices at what they are now, I definitely have to be more discriminating on what I get.

I've relatively new to this, and I came from a couple more expensive hobbies (knife collecting, shooting). But yeah, right now I'm definitely putting more thought behind purchases. It also doesn't help having an interest in discontinued items that have 200-300% secondary market markups - which is encouraging me to find good substitutes.

The strategy have changed, before I used to buy 3 or 4 figures/statues a month.
Now I barely can buy 2 because of the prices, so I became more picky and started to spread out my purchases.

Prices have made me quit certain licences altogether and sell off everything that doesn't belong to my 'main lines'. Good decision in the end, can't say I regret seeing them go.

Back