As prices go up do you start to change?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm basically done collecting. Prices are too crazy for these toys. I'll still get some stuff. But screw HT's. For $300 I rather get two hookers. I got my avengers set. No need for anything else. I don't need 5 of every figure. Too much milking.

I bet they'd be ugly, nasty and full of diseases at that price though.

If a person feels that a figure costs too much, they should not buy it. If they buy it, they should not complain that it costs too much.
+1

So tired of reading the bitter "Thanks, SSC/HT, you priced me out of this totally superfluous hobby!" posts.

...BTW, I also don't understand why someone would sell off their collection if they stop collecting. Why not enjoy what you do have? Maybe just trim the fat, but surely there must be a few figures in there that still mean something you the collector...
Not sure if it's the case here (especially since the OP felt this thread had to exist but strangely doesn't post in it), but most times I've read a quit/sell post it's meant as some sort of 'take that!' to the companies the collector feels are responsible for pricing them out.

I'm basically done collecting. Prices are too crazy for these toys. I'll still get some stuff. But screw HT's. For $300 I rather get two hookers.

tumblr_lek6cmlBfk1qakx30.gif

If you are patient and wait for the right figure to appear at the right price, you'll enjoy the hobby a lot more. I have only started collecting Hot Toys for a year, but I've been very selective and careful what I pay for them. I used to collect transformers, and many times on ebay, I was suckered into bidding over my maximum, not realising that there are people who bid well above what the item is worth, and have no intentions to pay for it. Searching ebay for what the prices went for is also meaningless, and misleading, as many bidders just do not pay up.
I have learnt that collecting Hot Toys is not an investment, and when a new improved figure comes out, you can expect the old version to plummet in price. Just look at the price of the DX01 when the DX11 come out. The same thing will happen with the Darth Vader figures, when the new Sideshow Darth Vader Deluxe comes out in January. So start selling your old Darth Vader to newbies!

I'm buying selectively and also only on sales.

If not, I would just buy parts and do it myself. Re painting a headsculpt isn't that hard as I had experience with scale modelling before.

I have been selective about what I collect for years. I cannot have everything out there so I go only for the items I really enjoy. Focusing will help your budget and your display space.

I'm basically done collecting. Prices are too crazy for these toys. I'll still get some stuff. But screw HT's. For $300 I rather get two hookers. I got my avengers set. No need for anything else. I don't need 5 of every figure. Too much milking.

you can get a russian mail order bride with that price. no english, cant cook and will most likely rob and kill you if they have a chance. :yess:

I'm running out of stuff that interests me so it's perfect. I only really go for nostalgia. Could careless about new licenses and properties.

Well since Sideshow decided that the Conan Rage PF should be $460, everything else seems like a bargain !

Clever move, Sideshow ...clever move.

I'm running out of stuff that interests me so it's perfect. I only really go for nostalgia. Could careless about new licenses and properties.

So, So agree with that. Its nostalgia for me.

Prices won't go down till people stop paying tho. *****ing and then buying means you are ok with the price.

I just got into this stuff and yes, nostalgia was the driving force. I couldn't resist pre-ordering the 66 Batman and Robin. At about $200/each the price did seem quite steep but the memories/emotions it brings back are priceless. I've never really purchased higher-end figures so I thought $200-$300 was the norm. I also have a couple of Enterbay Jordans and just pre-ordered the Batman Armory w/Batman. I'll stick to just the figures that interest me and be very selective.

Just a thought but while it seems prices have gone up (as someone who has observed these type of figures at every SD Comic-Con in past years) I've noticed a definite increase in level of detail. Some of these head sculpts are amazing and it's one of the main reasons I was dragged into collecting some of these.

Just a thought but while it seems prices have gone up (as someone who has observed these type of figures at every SD Comic-Con in past years) I've noticed a definite increase in level of detail. Some of these head sculpts are amazing and it's one of the main reasons I was dragged into collecting some of these.

Agreed. I'm not really a 1/6 collector, I'm a movie buff, and the Godfather was what pulled me in. It actually came to the point where what was on my shelf bore more than a slight passing resemblance in a dark room to what was on-screen. I have to admit, I now have most of what I want. Crow's incoming, Robo and ED are coming soon, and I have the Iminime GBU trio on order.

After that, barring any unforeseen (and exciting) announcements, such as Beetlejuice (especially) a HT Barbossa, a new and excellent T-800 endoskeleton, or an Indiana Jones that actually looks like Harrison Ford there's not a lot out there that catches my fancy. I would upgrade any pieces I have were they to be re-released, and substantially improved, but apart from that....

I've changed a great deal in collecting as prices have gone up. Some companies have priced me right out ie: Gentle Giant and Hasbro were the first ones I've dropped with a few exceptions. Not sure what's next. I used to get one of everything i collected, not that way anymore.

It could be that you're just bored with the hobby and using price as an excuse. Main thing that gives that suggestion is talking about selling off your collection. I've sold off smaller figure collections because they bore me now compared to HT and SS. Sure I can buy 20 small figs a year compared to maybe one HT, but that one HT looks much better! I will say I've also sold some statues in the past due to hard times, and while I still love them, I can't really find any that I like anymore to spend $400 on when they used to be less than $300. Only one I got on order is PF Harley Quinn cause she's awesome, and J.Scott Cambell Spider-man because he is my favorite hero and I want that Spider-Man centerpiece if you will.

Price increases are helping me focus on the licenses that I am really a fan of. I have also made the decision to branch into statues, specifically the Mythos Star Wars line (I have Obi, Fett and Vader); as the prices of 1:6 creep north to the price of a larger format/statue, my purchases have slowed somewhat.

Back