Statue Arwen Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why in someways trying to make some of these changes is better left to not doing them. The statue as is looks fantastic so sometimes things are better left alone.

I do hope thought we don't start getting a ton of Photoshop efforts in this line or section now. Its bad enough that everytime a HT figure comes out we get pages and pages of that. What you did did look nice so I hope you understand this isn't a shot at you.

I got off one further e-mail to Sideshow while I was on a roll the other day in this regard.

"The Arwen maquette being previewed at the moment is one which I would very much like to purchase, but am on the fence so far as regards the likeness to Liv Tyler as she appeared in the trilogy.

It is of course difficult to make a definitive judgment without the piece in hand, but from the many photos I've seen taken by Comic Con visitors the paint application to the face seems flat. I believe its appearance would be right on the money if her complexion was made a bit rosier. Adding a little blush to her cheeks and a bit of red to her lips would really bring her to life.

Thanks for incorporating our opinions as collectors into the excellent work you do!"

The customer rep passed the suggestion on as with the others. This is probably a good one to suggest since paint applications come last in the process and even if the piece exhibited at Comic Con looked pretty good, this is the best way to ensure that the development team knows that this is an important aspect to make the piece a really top-notch representation.

Premature it may be, but who has started emailing SS about this in the hopes it can get corrected before she ships (even though that is a ways out)?

I sent this off the other day just to emphasize this point regarding how important this aspect is to re-creating Ms. Tyler's look. However, I can see the wisdom in making the changes subtle since too much is just as bad, if not worse, than too little. In any case, I think it's a good thing to suggest that Sideshow pay very close attention to the paint apps on this one. More than with other figures, this can't really make or break its appeal. I can see this one being sent out by many buyers for repainting if it doesn't come through just right. As usual, Trevor's head sculpt work is right on and the figure itself is excellent so if the painting is less than optimal a slight rework would be the icing on this particular cake.

What you did did look nice so I hope you understand this isn't a shot at you.

Not at all. Arwen is the only piece from the maquette line that's given me a moment's hesitation because even the best shots (your own) didn't seem quite right. The sculpt is 100% there; it's just a few paint apps (principally the eyes) that give me pause.

I agree that overdoing any makeup effects would be worse than just leaving it be.

I think the minor photoshop efforts look nice, but the shots that Josh posted from SDCC look great as well. I am not nervous about this at all, they have delivered on the previoius pieces and I'm confident they'll deliver on this.

Not at all. Arwen is the only piece from the maquette line that's given me a moment's hesitation because even the best shots (your own) didn't seem quite right. The sculpt is 100% there; it's just a few paint apps (principally the eyes) that give me pause.

I agree that overdoing any makeup effects would be worse than just leaving it be.

Actually i don't mind the Photoshops at all because you get folks who do a quick Photoshop adjustment to try to make it look better...and then there are those who use Photoshop to ridicule the sculpt as well. Both makes these boards interesting so personally I don't mind too much.

Cool! Just wanted to make sure. :duff

This reminds me of one of the really positive things about the PFs - the cost to have an expert painter redo the hands and feet should be much lower than a full blown maquette repaint.

Thats why in someways trying to make some of these changes is better left to not doing them. The statue as is looks fantastic so sometimes things are better left alone.

I do hope thought we don't start getting a ton of Photoshop efforts in this line or section now. Its bad enough that everytime a HT figure comes out we get pages and pages of that. What you did did look nice so I hope you understand this isn't a shot at you.

Nah I think TripleCP did a great job with the photoshop, just shows how great manips and true fans go together!

Last edited:
Nah I think TripleP did a great job with the photoshop, just shows how great manips and true fans go together!

I said he did a nice job. :dunno Its just something people do to death and something thats gotten to the point most folks I think are kind of tired of. Not really sure where you're trying to go with the true fans comment. :lol Trust me you miss me on the short list of "true" fans of LOTR if thats what you mean.

I said he did a nice job. :dunno Its just something people do to death and something thats gotten to the point most folks I think are kind of tired of. Not really sure where you're trying to go with the true fans comment. :lol Trust me you miss me on the short list of "true" fans of LOTR if thats what you mean.

I love how people do manips and it's nice to see true fans do it and appreciate it. Hope we see more of that kind of display of talent in this forum and shows what alternate paint jobs can bring to these sculpts. He did a great job so no point stopping there! : )

I love how people do manips and it's nice to see true fans do it and appreciate it. Hope we see more of that kind of display of talent in this forum and shows what alternate paint jobs can bring to these sculpts. He did a great job so no point stopping there! : )

Well, you'd be one of the few I'd venture to guess who love seeing manips. Sometimes they're helpful but most of the time its by overly ____ folks who think they can do better than those in charge of the items. You need to go sit in any HT thread and you'll get your fill of them if you like them that much. :lol

I'm curious to get your definition of a true fan?

Well, you'd be one of the few I'd venture to guess who love seeing manips. Sometimes they're helpful but most of the time its by overly ____ folks who think they can do better than those in charge of the items. You need to go sit in any HT thread and you'll get your fill of them if you like them that much. :lol

I'm curious to get your definition of a true fan?

Like tripleCP seem to be a true fan who took the time to express himself.

Nah I like them most of the time, even if you don't like them it's good to see a nice display of talent and a different artistic take on everything. It's nice to see people with different perpectives and not pigeonholed into a one track sort of thinking. Like any form of art and expression PS manips are great!

I don't collect HT that much, I may just get a few toys for my kid to play with later.

Last edited:
Like tripleP seem to be a true fan who took the time to express himself.

Nah, I like them most of the time, even if you don't like them it's good to see a nice display of talent and a different artistic take on everything. It's nice to see people with different perspectives and not pigeonholed into a one track sort of thinking. Like any form of art and expression PS manips are great!

I don't collect HT that much, I may just get a few toys for my kid to play with later.

He was very respectful in how he went about it. That was cool because a lot of folks do it in a way to try and be jerks about it. Guess thats what rubs folks the wrong way. Though, I would disagree that doing these has anything to do with being a true fan (that term gets tossed around a bit too much IMO).

You're an really nice parent then buying $200 plus figures for kids to beat up on. :lol

Why not? He took the time to do it, so he's obviously a true fan.

Just because you photoshop something doesn't make you a fan. I'm sure he is but in general doing so doesn't necessarily make you a fan as I said. I just think the term "true fan" gets tossed around far too much or it seems that way being involved with high end collecting for 8 years.

Though, I would disagree that doing these has anything to do with being a true fan (that term gets tossed around a bit too much IMO).

Just because you photoshop something doesn't make you a fan. I'm sure he is but in general doing so doesn't necessarily make you a fan as I said. I just think the term "true fan" gets tossed around far too much or it seems that way being involved with high end collecting for 8 years.

:lol:lol:lol Yep he sure is, that's what I said. So him doing it does has something to do with him being a true fan, because he actually took the time to do it.

I think you're tossing around, the words 'tossing around' too much : P

Last edited:
Personally, I don't mind the photoshop suggestions and stuff as long as it's done respectfully as TripleCP has done. That could be because I don't hang around the hot toys, marvel or star wars threads though. :lol It doesn't seem to happen that much in the the LotR section.

Back