Artist's proof statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dns600

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was wondering if unnumbered artist's proof statues has more value than numbered ones? Or are they the same? Thanks

What's an "artist's proof" statue?:dunno

An Artist's Proof is usually the first few of piece of art that is put into production. The original artist, in this case the sculptor, will inspect the first few made for quality based on the original design.

With statues usually the first three or four made are inspected as an "artist's proof" and generally are more valuable than the rest in the production run. However I'm not sure if Sideshow does this or not. I know Bowen used to and the first three statues were usually sought after.

Yeah GG does this too. My baby doll is also an AP version. That's how I learn about this. I guess it's more sought after because it's more rare.

Is there a difference between an AP and a "prototype"?

I have no clue. I just hope the test run versions have nothing wrong with them, since they are the test versions. I heard the quality could even be better on the AP versions. I can't tell until I recieve my first AP soon.

I've heard the same thing; that is, the prototypes have better paint application than the production run since the protos are painted to perfection and then sent to China, where sometimes some of the paint app is not replicated as originally intended.

Yeah GG does this too. My baby doll is also an AP version. That's how I learn about this. I guess it's more sought after because it's more rare.

I know of it more from the art world. Generally if you do prints or card art or lithographs they let you inspect a few for quality. So you sign off on those as AP's.

I could see how doing this with a statue might be harder as art is more easily done through the mail.

Bowens "AP's" are just the unsed & unnumbered peices held back for returns

Yep, yep...:lecture

Now ARH AP's are true AP's, plus you get a little bonus making sure you know that, you have something different than EX or Reg's of the run of statues.

Back