Artificial Intelligence and Bot Programs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
classy as always :wink1: :rotfl please don't change your disgusting ways Devil, way too entertaining.

funny how you always seem to resort to insults when arguing. that alone says more than a thousand words buddy :wave,

you might think you are insulting me, but if anything it says everything there is to know about you :wink1:

but like I said, don't even change your crass, awful, disgusting ways. it is always good for a laugh :lol

:lol

Awesome. You'll have to ask the Reverend. They tell him all kinds of things.

funny how you always seem to resort to insults when arguing. that alone says more than a thousand words buddy :wave,

you might think you are insulting me, but if anything it says everything there is to know about you :wink1:

but like I said, don't even change your crass, awful, disgusting ways. it is always good for a laugh :lol
You're not arguing. You're trolling. Go eat some dirt.

Oh come on bud, you can be NASTIER than that (I know you can) , I have faith in you Devil Eggs . Come on buddy, Make me day! :wave

my body is ready. :whip

Like I said, you get what you're worth.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consciousness
"1
a : the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself
b : the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact
c : awareness; especially : concern for some social or political cause
: the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mind
: the totality of conscious states of an individual
: the normal state of conscious life <regained consciousness>
: the upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes "

Something else that might help you understand is that these are enumerated examples of consciousness. To say something is aware is no different than saying it's conscious. Consciousness is an axiomatic concept; it cannot be defined in terms other than self-reference (ostensively). It is not reducible to non-conscious referents.

oh come on! i need the humiliation to be able to get off! :pray: don't leave me hanging bro!.... im almost there.

Sigh...

And all I wanted were some thoughtful, reasonable discussions out of this thread.

I can make this simple.

Man A is running down a hill. A tiger is running behind him.

Man B is running down another hill. A boulder is rolling behind him.

The tiger is chasing Man A. The boulder is not chasing Man B.

Do you understand?

Hopefully, someone understands :lol. Simple and to the point.

I can make this simple.

Man A is running down a hill. A tiger is running behind him.

Man B is running down another hill. A boulder is rolling behind him.

The tiger is chasing Man A. The boulder is not chasing Man B.

Do you understand?

A rock has no sensors and does not respond because of them and so a rock is not conscious. A plant could be considered conscious of the sunlight as it reacts to it. Rocks do not react. Robots do. Being able to react to stimuli and not react when stimuli is not present is to be conscious of that stimuli.

It is only conscious of one thing.

Last edited:
A rock has no sensors and does not respond because of them and so a rock is not conscious. A plant could be considered conscious of the sunlight as it reacts to it. Rocks do not react. Robots do. Being able to react to stimuli and not react when stimuli is not present is to be conscious of that stimuli.

My mousetrap must be conscious then.

He did not understand.

Imagination deficit, please don't panic. Help is on the way in the next paragraph.

Put sensors on the rock (we'll ignore that the rock reacted to gravity). Connect them to things that will change the direction of the rock when the target moves. So now it's conscious?

I highly doubt a plant is conscious. For one, it can't do anything about the things it would observe. For two, the actions a plant takes are caused by chemical processes. Even though the plant is designed to pursue the end which is its life, all of its means of doing so are deterministic.

Actions in conscious animals that require no consciousness to operate (heartrate, respiration, cell metabolism, etc.) are classified as vegetative processes. There's a reason for that.

As for my analogy...eh, forget it.

He did not understand.

Imagination deficit, please don't panic. Help is on the way in the next paragraph.

Put sensors on the rock (we'll ignore that the rock reacted to gravity). Connect them to things that will change the direction of the rock when the target moves. So now it's conscious?

I highly doubt a plant is conscious. For one, it can't do anything about the things it would observe. For two, the actions a plant takes are caused by chemical processes. Even though the plant is designed to pursue the end which is its life, all of its means of doing so are deterministic.

Actions in conscious animals that require no consciousness to operate (heartrate, respiration, cell metabolism, etc.) are classified as vegetative processes. There's a reason for that.

As for my analogy...eh, forget it.
Putting sensors on the rock won't do anything, because rocks cannot respond.

The kind of consciousness a roomba has is a lot like the automatic response the human body has when it touches a hot stove and you instantly pull it away. The nerves sense the pain, and the pain tells your brain to pull the hand away. Nerves are the sensors, the muscles are the motor, and the brain is the switch that turns on the muscles to pull the hand away. In that moment, the brain is conscious of the heat or the pain, just like the roomba computer is conscious of the wall.
The sensor of the roomba is just like the nerves of the hand.

Actually plants ARE conscious. In the book, The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird, they explain how plants respond to a person's mere intent to burn them with a match. They hook the plant up to sensors that measure the plants electrical response. Plants also respond to music, as they grow stronger and healthier listening to Bach, and when Led Zepplin is played, they lean away from the speaker, wither and die. Certain kinds of music will either help plants to grow better or will kill them.

A roomba is not conscious. This is crazy.

cat-on-roomba-o%2B%25281%2529.gif

roomba_arrested.gif

thread rating went avatarD real quick. :lol

Led Zep kills!? :cuckoo:

Unfortunately the plant tests show that it kills them. The plant test is the only objective test for the effect of music on organic life forms. The plants have no bias, they aren't conditioned to have beliefs, and they can't be bribed to skew the results. Put a speaker next to a plant, and play certain music constantly and watch what happens. I would like to see a rating scale for all songs based upon plant tests. Then people can know if music is really harmful or not.
That's the only way to find out the truth.

Back