Artificial Intelligence and Bot Programs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the dictionary definition, they are conscious. They aren't ALIVE, nor will they ever be, since only organic forms can be alive. Why is it that human beings don't just use an organic software system to read information from it's sensors? That's what they do. Computers process information which governs what the robot will do and the human brain is an organic computer that processes information which will govern what it does.
The only two differences between a computer and the brain is one is inorganic while the other is organic, and one has a lot less processing power than the other one. They both store memory. They both operate systems.

Dear Lord. The reason why the Reverend may never be especially rational or logically coherent is because he continues to allow fundamentally erroneous assumptions and extrapolations to augment his dogmatic view of the world. Take for example his reading of what, on the face of it, is a simple dicitonary definition: he takes words like 'understand' and 'aware' and 'knowing' and just glosses over these extremely complex and philosophical concepts like they're peripheral to the foundation of the question asked, when in actual fact, they are central to it.

Like a hormonal teenager in the company of a willing companion, the Reverend foregoes foreplay in a desperate rush for penetration. Twenty seconds later, he's happy to declare that he has 'made love', whereas the unfortunate lass would be more accurate in her assessment that they had instead simply 'had sex'.

Does my car 'understand' that it is approaching an obstacle? Do fosing's security lights 'know' when an object has entered the sensory zone? Is Devil's kettle 'aware' that the water contained within it has boiled?

Only if we frame these words in purely computational terms. That our vocabulary often lacks precision is no excuse to impose contextual constraints of our choosing onto words simply because doing so supports a presupposition.

:lecture

Computers don't process information.

Regardless of complexity of memory or monitoring capacity, a computer is just a switching machine; electrical current following circuit paths. If that's all a brain was, we'd be dead.

somehow, i doubt blackthornone gets that just made love analogy.
..and i got a strong gut feeling we will get a dose of sex ed tips to follow. LOLz

:lol

Barrel_of_Monkeys_(Yellow_Barrel)_toy.jpg

I read the first page of this thread then decided I better stop since I'm feeling pretty stupid. :lol

Listen-to-yourself.gif

so, my security lights do get unconscious. like when their lights get knocked out. LOOOLz

No, it would be unconscious when the sensor stops working. The lights aren't part of it's consciousness.
:lecture

Computers don't process information.

Regardless of complexity of memory or monitoring capacity, a computer is just a switching machine; electrical current following circuit paths. If that's all a brain was, we'd be dead.

The question is, does what a roomba does meet the dictionary's definition of consciousness or not? If not, WHY not? Don't tell me that it doesn't meet YOUR definition of consciousness. Does it meet the dictionary's definition of consciousness as it is written? Not implied or inferred, not implying something special or more than what is written. Just can it fit the definition of those words. ANY of the three definitions. It only has to meet ONE.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conscious
"con·scious
adjective \ˈkän(t)-shəs\

1: awake and able to understand what is happening around you

2: aware of something (such as a fact or feeling) : knowing that something exists or is happening

3: known or felt by yourself"
I say it meets at least definition 2 perfectly.
Since the third definition of awake is : ": to become conscious or aware of something <awoke to the possibilities>" , it also can meet definition numbers 1 and 3.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/awake

So, are you going to tell me that it doesn't meet any of those definitions? If you are, you aren't being objective. You are defining it by filtering the word through your own preconceived definition which is not correct.

Last edited:
A roomba is not aware.

It is aware enough of obstacles so as not to run into them. Therefore it has awareness. There is something for it to be aware of, and when it comes close to an obstacle, it is aware of it.

There is no ALL aware human being. Maybe The Watchers can do that...
By that definition of all awareness, that is probably the only individuals who are actually aware.
Anything less than omniscience is clearly to be unaware.

Last edited:
It is aware enough of obstacles so as not to run into them. Therefore it has awareness. There is something for it to be aware of, and when it comes close to an obstacle, it is aware of it.

There is no ALL aware human being. Maybe The Watchers can do that...
By that definition of all awareness, that is probably the only individuals who are actually aware.
Anything less than omniscience is clearly to be unaware.

You're essentially redefining "awareness" to substantiate a foolish argument. A Roomba is not aware or conscious of its existence in any way. The machine will not consciously think to itself, "this is an obstacle, therefore it's in my best interest to avoid it". A thought process on that level would be indicative of choice, in that the Roomba can either choose to, or choose not to bump into an obstacle. It would also be indicative of self-preservation, in which the Roomba would act instinctively preserve its own well-being, by not bumping into something that can damage it. But, these are hardly the cases.

Robots are programmed to preform certain tasks through repetitions and routines without deviation. In other words, they are nothing more than highly complex machines. This is not awareness of any kind.

You're essentially redefining "awareness" to substantiate a foolish argument. A Roomba is not aware or conscious of its existence in any way. The machine will not consciously think to itself, "this is an obstacle, therefore it's in my best interest to avoid it". A thought process on that level would be indicative of choice, in that the Roomba can either choose to, or choose not to bump into an obstacle. It would also be indicative of self-preservation, in which the Roomba would act instinctively preserve its own well-being, by not bumping into something that can damage it. But, these are hardly the cases.

Robots are programmed to preform certain tasks through repetitions and routines without deviation. In other words, they are nothing more than highly complex machines. This is not awareness of any kind.
Read the dictionary definition again. Consciousness of it's own existence is not required for it to be conscious.

Also, the human body is nothing more than a highly complex machine. The difference between it and a robot is it is organic and the robot is inorganic.

Last edited:
You were the one claiming that being able to distinguish between itself and other entities was a sign that a machine is conscious. But it's true that self-consciousness is not necessary to qualify as consciousness. Most conscious animals are not self-aware.

They are, however, aware (unlike a machine). Artificial Intelligence is an apt naming.

The definition of consciousness is different that the definition for conscious. It includes being self aware, but even still, a robot can meet definition b, which is "The state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact." A robot sensing a wall is conscious of an external object.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consciousness
"1
a : the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself
b : the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact
c : awareness; especially : concern for some social or political cause
: the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mind
: the totality of conscious states of an individual
: the normal state of conscious life <regained consciousness>
: the upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes "

Shut up crows. Your Down's Syndrome is showing.

The definition of consciousness is different that the definition for conscious.

No kidding. One is a verb; the other is an adjective. Self-consciousness is a subset of consciousness (neither of which a machine has, or is capable of). Solidus is pointing out that you were characterizing the Roomba as aware because it does things you think are evidence of self-awareness.

I can make this simple.

Man A is running down a hill. A tiger is running behind him.

Man B is running down another hill. A boulder is rolling behind him.

The tiger is chasing Man A. The boulder is not chasing Man B.

Do you understand?

by the way, in the gif, you are the little guy devil :lol

And you're still a ****ing retard.

Back