Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'd prefer hover chair at this point because I have all the 90s X-Men PFs. Preferably a PF from SS, not an XM statue, because SS's will cost less, lol.

But eventually we'll probably get a Phoenix and Nightcrawler PF and they'll go best with the current Wolverine and Storm PFs keeping with the 70s/80s costumes. At that point I'll wish there was a wheelchair Xavier PF.

I think Ink just doesn't want to invest quite yet in XM being a somewhat unproven commodity. I have faith and Wolverine is too awesome for me to pass up. Either way XM is great for collectors regardless of whether you buy their stuff or not.

Honestly, I think I'm in the same boat. I love the attention to detail, the concept design, and the display options that XM have provided so far with their statues. I would love to have at least one of their statues in my collection. But there's too much of a risk for me at the moment. I want to see how everyone's transactions turn out, especially with the people who ordered Magneto. I need to see what their experiences are in dealing with whoever they ordered from before I'm willing to jump on.

Hopefully by then the X-Men issues will be resolved and XM will announce their versions of Jean/Phoenix, Cyke, Archangel, or Juggernaut. Maybe even obtain the license for DC as well.

With the recent talk with variants regarding SS, I would love it if they were able to retool this statue to Marvel Girl (with a different base), and perhaps redo Cyclops to go along with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad half XM's license is on hold :lol

Half is exaggerating. Avengers have been the priority for a while now at Marvel even before this Fox feud came to a head. X-Men has already been taking a back seat for years, since Schism. There's a lot of options for Avengers and GoTG for XM without the immediate need for more X-Men support beyond the 2 characters they managed to get done. They're in the same boat as SS with X-Men.

And even though SS has had the X-Men license...well, I enjoy what I have but let's be realistic about the usage of that license... There's Rogue, and just saying her name is enough... but Psylocke had cracking paint, Apocalypse is hit or miss with his various common problems, lackluster Emma and Jean are not well received by many, and while I like the Cyclops PF overall, the EX was a solid idea that is ugly in execution... I wouldn't laugh at XM right about now.

Half is exaggerating. Avengers have been the priority for a while now at Marvel even before this Fox feud came to a head. X-Men has already been taking a back seat for years, since Schism. There's a lot of options for Avengers and GoTG for XM without the immediate need for more X-Men support beyond the 2 characters they managed to get done. They're in the same boat as SS with X-Men.

And even though SS has had the X-Men license...well, I enjoy what I have but let's be realistic about the usage of that license... There's Rogue, and just saying her name is enough... but Psylocke had cracking paint, Apocalypse is hit or miss with his various common problems, lackluster Emma and Jean are not well received by many, and while I like the Cyclops PF overall, the EX was a solid idea that is ugly in execution... I wouldn't laugh at XM right about now.

I agree. I have my fair share of things I do not like about XM statues, but let there be no mistake... they are forming up to be a legitimate competitor.

With that being said, Sideshow still controls the market do to ease of access with the larger purchasing areas. More licenses. And currently lower prices.

My opinion has been documented pretty well on the topic of XM. XM is two steps away from going neck to neck with sideshow for market domination. Haha

I agree. I have my fair share of things I do not like about XM statues, but let there be no mistake... they are forming up to be a legitimate competitor.

With that being said, Sideshow still controls the market do to ease of access with the larger purchasing areas. More licenses. And currently lower prices.

My opinion has been documented pretty well on the topic of XM. XM is two steps away from going neck to neck with sideshow for market domination. Haha

For me personally, the price is the ONLY thing SSC has over XM right now. The fact that XM pieces cost a pretty penny for international customers is what keeps me on a short leash. I can only cherry pick my absolute favorite characters from XM because of this. I can say with absolute certainty that if the cost of XM pieces was anywhere near what I pay for SSC pieces...SSC would be losing A LOT of my business. Especially with the Marvel line. SSC just doesn't seem to put as much thought or effort into their Marvel license as XM does. I will say that when SSC nails a piece, they knock it out of the park. But when they miss, it can get ugly.

How is XM going to pay back the licensing fee if they're only putting out stuff from one line

For me personally, the price is the ONLY thing SSC has over XM right now. The fact that XM pieces cost a pretty penny for international customers is what keeps me on a short leash. I can only cherry pick my absolute favorite characters from XM because of this. I can say with absolute certainty that if the cost of XM pieces was anywhere near what I pay for SSC pieces...SSC would be losing A LOT of my business. Especially with the Marvel line. SSC just doesn't seem to put as much thought or effort into their Marvel license as XM does. I will say that when SSC nails a piece, they knock it out of the park. But when they miss, it can get ugly.

I completely agree. I would get thanos, hawkeye, thanos, mags, BlackWidow, wolverine and the majority of the statues they have teased if the shipping didn't murder costs for me. But the best think about sideshow is that I absolutely love the mixed media! I can't wait to be able to display them properly. Haha

The way the cloth brings the statues to life (most of the time) is amazing. But mistake have been made.

But I couldn't agree with you more overall. I'm hoping XM's company grows so that they may decrease their profit margin per piece in exchange for selling more pieces. As an example, if the XM cap sold at 399.99 like sideshow, and I payed 150-200 for shipping on top of that, I would consider them more. The cheapest I have personally seen is $660.00 plus 50+ tax! plus 50+ shipping.

Direct from Singapore, I was quoted about $820

I completely agree. I would get thanos, hawkeye, thanos, mags, BlackWidow, wolverine and the majority of the statues they have teased if the shipping didn't murder costs for me. But the best think about sideshow is that I absolutely love the mixed media! I can't wait to be able to display them properly. Haha

The way the cloth brings the statues to life (most of the time) is amazing. But mistake have been made.

But I couldn't agree with you more overall. I'm hoping XM's company grows so that they may decrease their profit margin per piece in exchange for selling more pieces. As an example, if the XM cap sold at 399.99 like sideshow, and I payed 150-200 for shipping on top of that, I would consider them more. The cheapest I have personally seen is $660.00 plus 50+ tax! plus 50+ shipping.

Direct from Singapore, I was quoted about $820

Yep, those shipping costs are brutal. That's why I'm reduced to cherry picking my faves with XM. I actually don't mind the retail prices on their pieces. Look at what you get for them. SOLID statues with AMAZING QC! I don't mind paying a little extra for that. The shipping costs are what hurt international customers as far as overall costs are concerned.

Honestly, I was always a fan of fully sculpted pieces. SSC has won me over a bit with a few of their mixed media pieces of late. However, I almost always prefer fully sculpted pieces to mixed media ones any day of the week. That's another HUGE selling point for me with XM merch. To this day, I'm shocked SSC hasn't formed a fully sculpted 1/4 line of their own. They could easily double dip. Peeps that like mixed media would have their PFs and peeps that only want fully sculpted pieces wouldn't spend as much of their dollars on XM merch if SSC gave collectors a 1/4 fully sculpted option. Instead, SSC insists on giving us the occasional 1/5 COM when they themselves even admitted that COMs as a whole don't sell very well.

Oh well, I'll just spend my money on the pieces I think look best regardless of who makes them. However, I'm very happy that XM gives us a 1/4 scale fully sculpted option. I've been waiting a LONG time for that.

How is XM going to pay back the licensing fee if they're only putting out stuff from one line

Because their "one" line is completely sold out. Every single statue that XM makes is technically sold out before it ever releases. XM was able to negotiate licensing rights to distribute in Europe. There is more demand for their product then supply. Retailers aren't getting nearly as many orders as they would like to take. Just watch as the POs take place on Hawkeye, Wolverine, Thanos, etc.... Every single statue moving forward is gone on day 1. This is a guarentee. I respect the hell out of you Ink. I think your truly a good dude. Eventually though your going to have to admit that XM is SSs only real competitor. If your as close as i think you are to SS and privy to the inside scoop per say, then you already know that SS is scared of what's to come in future years. Will they ever lose their fan base/customers? Of course not. They will always have a large portion of the customer base in this hobby. They are losing business though.. alot of business and when the new lines are officially announced by XM they are going to lose more. For most people buying an XM statue means cancelling or never pursuing two SS orders. It's already happening. Just ask SS bro

Back