Art Figures: The King

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If toy anxiety parts this out, I'll pick up the sword and scabbard. If not, meh. Don't need King Elessar in my collection. Strider is far more iconic imo.

Strange, when i saw the large, blown up photo of his face, i hated it. His face looked fat. But some photos recently look ok. I still prefer polystone statues though.

Moral of the story highlighted above. :lol

It looks brilliant, until you get to the face.

The maquette / statue is the best likeness so far in my opinion.

The only real issue with the face is that the bridge of the nose is too wide.

And I have no interest in statues. :wave

Likeness is off. Its only 1 aspect of a figure.

:lecture

Likeness is off and I don't care for the printing of the tree. Still I have to wonder if I could kit-bash this with the SSC Aragorn - sure the hair is not the same, but the likeness is better.

I do worry that the printing is gonna look like crap in-hand. Also, I hope the article of clothing it's printed on doesn't look too much like a lead dentist's vest. Faramir's "tree sirt" kinda has that problem.

If toy anxiety parts this out, I'll pick up the sword and scabbard. If not, meh. Don't need King Elessar in my collection. Strider is far more iconic imo.

:pfft: Strider is boring.

j/k Love the early introduction of the character, but I'm much more moved by Elessar.

This figure is so visually stunning, and it calls to mind the men of Numenor.

I must be missing something. Do these "Art Figure" toys feel like cracker jack toys in hand or something?

Not at all. I have the 1st Punisher figure, Art Saves and the quality is much better when compared to Sideshow GI Joes. It's very close to HT quality WITHOUT the high price point.

The likeness is awful. There's no getting around that. The bendy hands are another strike against the figure. But the rest appears to be so well done, that it's a must-get for me.

I will try to correct/replace the sculpt and replace those hands.

You really think the likeness is "awful"? Worse than Sideshow's figure?

viggoaragorn.jpg

It is inevitable that Sideshow will "share" their license with Hot Toys for the Hobbit. I have no doubt we will see a DX Aragorn at some point.

SS's Aragorn is a great sculpt that suffered a crappy paint job. ART figures tend to be the opposite: great paint jobs with terrible sculpts.

Well, LOTR is a different license so it wouldn't be under that.

Doesn't matter. They shared their Star Wars and Terminator licenses. It's inevitable Hot Toys will do Lord of the Rings and probably around the time of the Hobbit to cash in. A DX Aragorn will be amazing.

It is inevitable that Sideshow will "share" their license with Hot Toys for the Hobbit. I have no doubt we will see a DX Aragorn at some point.

:pray:

What makes you say that?

SS's Aragorn is a great sculpt that suffered a crappy paint job. ART figures tend to be the opposite: great paint jobs with terrible sculpts.

Here's the repainted Strider I have. Painted by GDB:

P1100313.jpg

P1100293.jpg

P1100324.jpg

P1100304.jpg

P1100349.jpg

P1100270.jpg

P1100266.jpg

Much better, but still doesn't look nearly as much like Viggo as the Art Figures sculpt imo. :dunno

Doesn't matter. They shared their Star Wars and Terminator licenses. It's inevitable Hot Toys will do Lord of the Rings and probably around the time of the Hobbit to cash in. A DX Aragorn will be amazing.

We don't even know if SS still has that part of the lotr license.plus I really doubt ht ever does anything related to middle-earth.

2003_the_lord_of_the_rings_the_return_of_the_king_008.jpg

art-figure-king-003_web.jpg

Bridge of nose is too wide, and he's a bit too "sad" looking, but over all a decent likeness imo.

Last edited:
We don't even know if SS still has that part of the lotr license.plus I really doubt ht ever does anything related to middle-earth.

:lol I remember people saying the same thing about Hot Toys ever getting Star Wars.

:lol I remember people saying the same thing about Hot Toys ever getting Star Wars.

They only got star wars because of sideshow. If HT wanted to do lotr figures I would imagine they could have done them by now.

They only got star wars because of sideshow. If HT wanted to do lotr figures I would imagine they could have done them by now.

:lol You've seen how backlogged Hot Toys is. They haven't even finished with the T2 license they "borrowed" from Sideshow. And they know interest will be high around the Hobbit so I'm positive we'll see something from them around it.

:lol You've seen how backlogged Hot Toys is. They haven't even finished with the T2 license they "borrowed" from Sideshow. And they know interest will be high around the Hobbit so I'm positive we'll see something from them around it.

They've shared all of their 1:6 licenses with them thus far. LOTR is inevitable. Mark my words.

I'll mark your words and hope you're right, but I am just about as sure as I can be that you are wrong.

Back