Art Figures AF-15 Heavy Armored Special Cop - He is the Law!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Refer to my reply to Elar. When millions are at stake, you won't be so thrilled when all is said and done.

Yeah totally, but if it were my business I'd be all over the action figures, there's a clear demand for them. I do think 2000ad is missing a trick here.

While I doubt this will be released, I also doubt we'll ever see a official one.

There's a lot of idiots out there. I think it's best to lock this thread, to protect us from ourselves.

Yeah totally, but if it were my business I'd be all over the action figures, there's a clear demand for them. I do think 2000ad is missing a trick here.

While I doubt this will be released, I also doubt we'll ever see a official one.

Agreed. IMO, this figure will sell like hotcakes. The demand is there. AD should just strike a deal with AF to officially release dredd, with most of the profit going to AD since they own the license. similar to what game company capcom did with a fan made mega man vs street fighter game. They contacted the programmer and said we will officially release this, but it's a free to play game. No profit on both sides.

Well, in this case, there has to be profit.

The works been done, why the hell not?

Agreed. IMO, this figure will sell like hotcakes. The demand is there. AD should just strike a deal with AF to officially release dredd, with most of the profit going to AD since they own the license. similar to what game company capcom did with a fan made mega man vs street fighter game. They contacted the programmer and said we will officially release this, but it's a free to play game. No profit on both sides.

Well, in this case, there has to be profit.

The works been done, why the hell not?

Totally agree.

Yeah btw I know loads of 1/6 manufacturers (don't want to name them just in-case) that don't have the licenses for certain figs they produce & they still seem to be merrily pumping them out regardless.

I would say most of my non HT Enterbay figs are unlicensed.

This would be different if 2000AD had similar Dredd figures in the pipeline. But right now, this figure is all we have. So the company is basically just standing in the way of all of us being happy. Damn, I wish they would just lighten up and allow us to have this.

Is this figure happening or is it a cancel...can't order from the site.
Thanks for any advice.

This would be different if 2000AD had similar Dredd figures in the pipeline. But right now, this figure is all we have. So the company is basically just standing in the way of all of us being happy. Damn, I wish they would just lighten up and allow us to have this.

yep that's the way I see it too.

I'm pretty sure this went down the same way the unlicensed Assassin's creed figures did. Some fanboy who has no knowledge of the 1/6 world and about 1/6 third party figures that get produced that we, the usual buyers like, finds said bootleg and blabs to the the property owners twitter or Fb or whatever "hey, I saw this figure...did you guys make it?" than BAM instant figure shut down. I say again, such a shame and a waste

I saw looking for a Medicom Dredd for a custom and saw the ArtFigures one and was like YES PREORDERED!! Then I came here to find out when it will be out and then I read this...very tragic. I know a FEW sites seem to still have it up but I am leery of doing anything...I would hate for it to be cancelled and I lose my cash or something. Very sad because that Dredd was one the top of my 1/6 want list. Seeing 2000AD act like this is just hurtful. As a long time Dredd fan I have always wondered why they seemed content to only offer mugs, key chains, t-shirts, and super expensive props that only a few can afford. I say either let this fig come out or get with the programs and give us some Dredd (movie and comic) figures, props that are less than 100 bucks, and other stuff.

Why would the copyright holder of a product object to bootleggers making bank, without paying for the license to produce a figure that the copyright holder has invested considerable money and time, in developing?
:dunno

I mean come on, artists, musicians, authors, etc would just be paying their bills with that money.. the wrong 'uns!.. Everyone knows the Interwebz means everything should be copyright free.. or at worst, paid for by the Bank of Mom and Pop (ie. interest free with a 'probable no repayments' clause).. I didn't get where I am today by respecting intellectual property!
Thats the problem with these creative types, they are obsessed with money.. whatever happened to artists starving in rat infested tenements?.. look at Van Gogh, topped himself without making any money to speak of.. now that was an artist who appreciated the importance of cheap prints for art fans!
:slap

If 2000AD haven't produced a product, it will generally mean one of three things -

*1. There are copyright issues with the original author/artist or previous publisher.. since 2000AD has had a number of different owners -
"..first published by IPC Magazines in 1977, the first issue dated 26 February. IPC then shifted the title to its Fleetway comics subsidiary which was sold to Robert Maxwell in 1987 then Egmont UK in 1991. Fleetway continued to produce the title until 2000, when it was bought by Rebellion Developments." - Wikipedia

*2. No-one has offered them an attractive license fee for producing the product

*3. A film company own the licensing rights to a product from its film, rather than 2000AD.. and this would appear to be the most likely issue, regarding a 1/6 figure bootleg of Urban's Dredd.

Remember the latest Dredd film did not make a spectacular impact at the box office.. "$45m production budget.. Box Office of $41m global ($13.4 million from North America.).. Alex Garland said that a North American gross of over $50 million for Dredd would make sequels possible" (London Film and Comic Con in July 2012).. so the film seriously underperformed from a purely financial aspect.. even after adding in "..approx. $10 million in home media sales in North America". - Wikipedia

I loved the new film and would welcome more merchandise.. and the original Fiberglass 1:1 Dredd Helmets licensed by 2000AD is on my grail list.. but I am being pragmatic, there does not appear to be a high expectation of profit, from producing licensed merchandise at this point.. the fact most 2000AD licensed character merchandise ( with the possible exception of T-Shirts) has been fairly thin on the ground for decades, indicates a fairly cult license.

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I just read these comments by the admin on the "Make a DREDD Sequel" facebook page (great page btw, go like it!) on the subject of the AF Dredd figure.

"Just because it's not happened yet [an official 1/6 Dredd release] doesn't mean it was never going to happen or wasn't being worked on. Our contact at Rebellion said they've been in negotiation with two other firms for months and now those firms want to pull out of the deal because of this [bootleg 1/6 Dredd figure] - that's why it's not a good idea!"

"They've been negotiating for figures for months to make sure they're right for fans...."

Ouch.. if this bootleg figure gets released, we probably won't see an official release at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back