ARH TARZAN PRIMAL RAGE (Tarzan vs Gorilla diorama)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quality is nice with the exception of a minor paint flaw where his stomach meets his loin cloth, the paint is just a tad sloppy there but it's minor. Otherwise the rest of the statue is pretty flawless paint wise.

The color of Tarzan skin is a bit more yellow then I would prefer but overall it's not bad.

One thing that stands out to me is the apes face, it looks like he had a stroke and the left side of his face has kind of slid down like a stroke patient. One eye is smaller then the other and his teeth are kind of warped as it comes around to the left side plus the one eye tooth is smaller then the other one. I don't know if that was the intent of the artist or maybe a casting flaw. It does seem the prototype teeth are more naturally curved instead of being twisted/warped like on my piece... but since they don't have a really good prototype picture of the front of the apes face it's hard to tell.

This is my first ARH statue, the foam box is really messy but ARH did double box it with foam corner pieces to absorb any shock, I have to give them props for that.

Overall I'm happy with the statue with the exception of the apes face. I'd give it 7/10, had the apes face been more symmetrical I would of gave it 9/10

TA%20005.jpg

TA%20006.jpg

TA%20007.jpg

TA%20001.jpg

TA%20002.jpg

TA%20003.jpg

TA%20004.jpg

IMG_4770.jpg

Strangely it looks better in theses photos to me than the prototype :)
I like the scale human to ape :)

Musculature on Tarzan looks great. Overall I think it looks good but I'm still not in love with it. I had noticed the unhinged jaw on the ape when it was still in progress. SAB is supposed to have more color added to his so that may add to a lot / just enough to really make this pop more.

I would really like to get Tarzan in my collection at some point, but I''m not sure if there will ever be anything that will top this. SSC used to do literary and historical figures, to bad they stopped. I still think Cap. Ahab would've been cool, :lol

I wonder if the stroke face thing is an optical illusion? The curled upper lip makes his upper seem more pulled to the left, and his tongue pulling right kind of makes it seem its going that way. I think its just a nitpick tho, overall looks really good.

Musculature on Tarzan looks great. Overall I think it looks good but I'm still not in love with it. I had noticed the unhinged jaw on the ape when it was still in progress. SAB is supposed to have more color added to his so that may add to a lot / just enough to really make this pop more.

I would really like to get Tarzan in my collection at some point, but I''m not sure if there will ever be anything that will top this. SSC used to do literary and historical figures, to bad they stopped. I still think Cap. Ahab would've been cool, :lol

Hopefully they'll start on mine soon!

Level52 Studios now have the Frazetta license and have confirmed they are doing 'Monster out of Time' aka Tarzan vs Croc !
Their prototype work so far on Catgirl is outstanding!

Hopefully they'll start on mine soon!

Level52 Studios now have the Frazetta license and have confirmed they are doing 'Monster out of Time' aka Tarzan vs Croc !
Their prototype work so far on Catgirl is outstanding!

Cool! Never heard of Level52, just checked out their website and subscribed to their list. Tarzan vs. Croc was what I was more interested in too. That Odin piece looks super detailed. Will be paying attention to them for any Tarzan info.

Cool! Never heard of Level52, just checked out their website and subscribed to their list. Tarzan vs. Croc was what I was more interested in too. That Odin piece looks super detailed. Will be paying attention to them for any Tarzan info.

Nice, yeah check them out in the 'general' section on Statueforum. Theyre posting there and giving updates on all their work.
I'm definitely in for this piece to sit next to ARHs Primal Rage.
A Tarzan vs lion would complete my Tarzan Wishlist ....

Nice, yeah check them out in the 'general' section on Statueforum. Theyre posting there and giving updates on all their work.
I'm definitely in for this piece to sit next to ARHs Primal Rage.
A Tarzan vs lion would complete my Tarzan Wishlist ....

Good to know, I sometimes view threads there (have an account but never used) so I'll check from time to time. Hopefully their newsletter is up to task. If they manage to pull that off it'll be something to see and probably my largest piece yet. At that point it'll be time to retire, :D

Good to know, I sometimes view threads there (have an account but never used) so I'll check from time to time. Hopefully their newsletter is up to task. If they manage to pull that off it'll be something to see and probably my largest piece yet. At that point it'll be time to retire, :D

Yeah its going to be enormous.
Appears Ehren is sculpting which is great and he's already said they're going to change some of the angles slightly (of head and tail) to reduce linear length and make it more manageable.

Received mine!
Unfortunately had to cancel the custom paint job. I didn't mind that ARH currently didn't have time and it would be a wait, but I became aware of a customs law change in Australia on Jun30th where all packages will be stopped and GST applied. I don't want packages arriving anywhere near what's going to be a giant mess of a change over period here. I don't trust customs to be carefully opening fragile packages!
ARH were very nice about it and apologised for not being able to get it done and didn't charge me any shipping balance. Was not going to turn down that offer on this giant heavy beast!!

Anyway:
The box is huge. By far the biggest I have. Way bigger than the Blitzway 1/3 Bruce Lee statues (biggest I have)
It's double packed with foam inserts between them. Impressive.
The foam on the inside is pretty cheap stuff but did it's job.

Very happy with the statue.
It fits together easily and is rock solid stable, unexpected!

Was pleasantly surprised with the paint job. The gorilla has a lot more detail (variations in black and a fair bit of grey/silver) that doesn't show in photos.
The huge volume of the gorilla doesn't show up in photos either. To the naked eye In 3D he's enormous.

Tarzan looks good and again, loin cloth colouring is more detailed than what I expected.
Was also surprised that the hair sculpt is a fair bit more complex, with a lot more individual sections than most.
Skin paint app is serviceable and looks good but not as good as say Sideshow Conan: Rage of the Undying.( .... exactly what ARH promised in the prototype pics though). Hair is way better than Conan though!
I might read up on how to apply some dirty wash and attempt it myself, hard to screw up it up too badly when the goal is 'make dirty looking'

I've bought and sold many statues over the years and I think this might be the most impressive. The presence of Tarzan leaping onto a freaking enormous gorilla definitely draws the eye away from normal pieces on their little statue bases!

Definitely can't see myself ever parting with this!

Anyway:
The box is huge. By far the biggest I have. Way bigger than the Blitzway 1/3 Bruce Lee statues

:thud:

lol man i just remember finally getting to the Bruce after removing the styro from the box, from the box, then getting stuck in the room with no place to move haha good times. They were like giant Russian nesting boxes.

Congrats man, I like the big impressive stuff. This was such a great price too. Got too much on my plate so too bad I missed out.

:thud:

lol man i just remember finally getting to the Bruce after removing the styro from the box, from the box, then getting stuck in the room with no place to move haha good times. They were like giant Russian nesting boxes.

Congrats man, I like the big impressive stuff. This was such a great price too. Got too much on my plate so too bad I missed out.

Ha yeah, and this was double boxed as well.
Once I had the inner box and the styrofoam out I did in fact get trapped in the room :)

Look like ARH have at least one more in stock due to cancelled preorders, if anyone is regretting it!

I just ordered this on Big Bad Toys. It was $559.99, yet on the ARH Website it's at $699.99? How can there be such a big price difference?

Back