Are your Weta pieces still precious to you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely love the pieces I have and I´m n to thinking about selling them so I don´t care about if their prices are going up or down. However the natural thing is that they increase over time.

I'm a completist, only not of the Statue line. I have all the minibeasts, all the environments except the Trolls, and all the helms except the priciest two.

Statues -- and I do have a few -- tend to run into actor likeness issues, and that was probably Weta's weakest point. I like them for the insight into the character design they offer, much like the busts (and I have quite a bit of those).

Let's not forget the crossover into fine art that the medallions and plaques offered. Nobody seems to be doing that anymore, and it was a very valiant thing to do!

Also, my ToyTracker total value increased for around $40 since yesterday. Neat! :D

Seretur said:
I'm a completist, only not of the Statue line. I have all the minibeasts, all the environments except the Trolls, and all the helms except the priciest two.

Statues -- and I do have a few -- tend to run into actor likeness issues, and that was probably Weta's weakest point. I like them for the insight into the character design they offer, much like the busts (and I have quite a bit of those).

Let's not forget the crossover into fine art that the medallions and plaques offered. Nobody seems to be doing that anymore, and it was a very valiant thing to do!

Also, my ToyTracker total value increased for around $40 since yesterday. Neat! :D

Yes.... the fine art pieces are goo.... seemed like only Weta are doing these in the market....

some of the medallions are very pricey now..

Seretur said:
Yep, so pricey that I think I'll be satisfied with just a few, in the end.

Tell me about it, I started late too.. in fact just those time, when the prices reach sky high.... i think i could saved about 4-5k if i were to start now.... but will be missing pieces like MOS, MOA, UHSS etc...

Fritz, your tribute shelf looks great, everything fits together in terms of arrangement and color, really like it and it is immediately recognizable as a LOTR shelf.

Is it disappointing that a loved hobby isn't worth more than it is, yup! But, it is a special feeling to remember how hard it is to get those pieces, both financially and going through ebay. It's hard to tell whether the collection will keep its value down the road because at no time are more and more companies making so many statues. I'm getting tired and have cut down a lot and have become very picky. Everything looks good these days. The older stuff with very limited editions will likely keep some value, probably not as much as the speculative hey day. That's true in any speculative situation. Anyway, looking for the slow climb, that is the mark of a true collectible. Quiet value.

The SS/Weta pieces have history. That is what adds to their value, for me, anyway.

I got into the line rather late as well but have managed to pick up most of the pieces that I wanted. Sure, there are pieces that have sailed to the "Unbuying Lands" but I'm ok with that.

But for me, it only takes popping in the Gollum DVD to see the special connection that these pieces have with the films, the actors and the artists. No other LOTR line can ever accomplish that again.

My Toytracker says that I'm over $1200 or so in the black. That's just gravy for me.

I'm up about $6000 on my 35 statues and busts. Not taking into consideration all the extra cave trolls, witch-kings, orthanc's, etc... I bought and later sold.
Are my Weta pieces still precious...absolutely, 1]. emotionally, 2]. as valued pieces of art, 3]. financially

My Weta pieces are still precious to me, more than ever! :)

I recently decided I wanted to complete my collection with all the statues there are and have almost achieved this goal with only 5 pieces left in transit and the last one waiting to be picked up in March. :chew

Looking at the new pieces from Sideshow and GG, I must admit that some of them look better than the Weta stuff (Lurtz PF, GG Strider bust fro example), but they will never mean the same to me.

They were made by people not involved in the making of the movies and (in GG's case) the likeness is only better through the use of digital scanning technology rather than artistic skills of sculptors (of course, the sculptors did their job as well).

First and foremost, I am a fan of LOTR and not a collector of anything.

When I started my collection, I was more interested in them as a financial investment (which they were to a lot of people at that time, it seems) than in their art and emotional value.

Over time, as I got deeper into the world of Middle-Earth and the stories of JRR Tolkien, they became more and more valuable to me as a representation of Middle-Earth and its inhabitants, and as a tribute to the fantastic movie trilogy.

That is the reason, I guess, that now I started to buy back all the pieces that I sold earlier because their emotional value was less than their financial value at the time.

(now the only problem I have will be the one finding room for everything to display... :eek: )

All of my weta pieces are very precious to me! Of all my collection, those will be the last things I'd ever sell. I am still missing few pieces but for the most part, all the ones I have are carefully chosen and very dear to me.

I love all of my WETA pieces. Fortunately, I have them all displayed and marvel at them daily. Unfortunately, the line did not continue so we didn't get our fellowship. Hence, I'm now collecting the 12" fellowship. This will be the end of the LOTR collection for me.... I'm now collecting SW PF & 12" figures.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

I don't pay much attention to what the market is. I have all of my pieces on display and just love them. I did not buy them for resale, I bought them to look at and appreciate. I don't have room to store boxes and I don't even have mine anymore so its certain that I didn't buy mine for resale.

I still want the original WETA Aragorn. I'd love to see that one drop in price so I could afford it. Its pretty rare even to find one for sale anymore.

Although I like the new pieces coming out and am ordering them, the WETA pieces have the most meaning because of their connection with the films. They are special!!

Zoomaround said:
Unfortunately, the line did not continue so we didn't get our fellowship.

Can you point me to the missing member of the Fellowship? :confused:

Felloship_02_06.jpg

goliath said:
Looking at the new pieces from Sideshow and GG, I must admit that some of them look better than the Weta stuff (Lurtz PF, GG Strider bust fro example), but they will never mean the same to me.

They were made by people not involved in the making of the movies and (in GG's case) the likeness is only better through the use of digital scanning technology rather than artistic skills of sculptors (of course, the sculptors did their job as well).

I can't really say I care one way or another as to who made what. It is nice that Weta was involved with the original line of statues, and we certainly saw some spectacular statues from them, but I will take quality and originality over a particular company's involvement every time. If that means the using of digital scanning technology as in the case of GG, then so be it. I want my statue's and bust to look just like the characters in the movies, not sorta or kinda, but as close as possible.

My love for my weta collection seems to be as strong now as when I first got them all. I was considering selling a few pieces recently to finance some pre-orders I have (selling my cave troll would cover everything!) but I just cant bring myself to do it, they are just magical and the fact they were sculpted by the people that made the films is the icing on the cake for me, theres not many collectibles you can say that about.

goliath said:
Can you point me to the missing member of the Fellowship? :confused:

Opps! Bad choice of words on my part. I was referring to "we" as in my family and I didn't get a chance to purchase the entire fellowship (@ a reasonable price, that is) since we came in late in the game. I had hoped for the continuation of WETA polystone line.

Back