Are we too easily pleased?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres no real answer to this as it depends on the individual.

Some people wlill buy complete inaccurate figures like the Predators & still love them because they are still awesome figures.

Some people draw lines and circles and comparison screen shots and pics all over the place to the point it makes threads unbearable to enter.

Some people think if you spend £100+ on a figure that it should be completely perfect without a loose thread on the clothing or tiny dot of paint out of place.

I've been collecting for several years now, and the older pieces are much better than the newer ones, the paint was way better, for example the T2 battle damaged life size bust, even had a glass eye in it, but more and more, we see constant problems on these forums, and the price is going way up, but the quality way down, any statue that costs this much should be museum quality, no excuses. That wolf predator for 2K, should have been FLAWLESS !
I think we have all forgotten exactly how much 2K is, for that price a statue should like it belongs in an art gallery.

Don't agree that overall quality is going down but definitely agree that the new super high $2000 product that Sideshow is putting out should have super high end QC attached to it as well.

The Darth Maul Legendary Scale thread indicates that isn't so which does shock me. $300-400 is one thing but at $2000 this will definitely stop people pulling the trigger.

I really hate people who tear into SideShow. Especially people who create entire threads to bash a company we all should be lucky we have.

No, we are not too easily pleased!

The Obi-wan is missing a hilt but it is literally one of best statues I have ever laid my eyes upon. It would probably be my grail piece if I was a bigger Star Wars fan and if the Punisher wasn't my favorite superhero.

Go to www.spawn.com and complain to Todd MacFarlane about his PVC sports figures.

Totally agree with the OP, because he's right. Everyone on this damn board is way too easily pleased. These companies shouldn't be getting away with the crap they pull. Defect after defect. Price increase after price increase. "Collectors" just eat this **** up unfortunately.

For example,

$2000 for a 1/4 scale predator maquette with a paint job that honestly isn't that impressive.

TWO. THOUSAND. DOLLARS.

That is almost unfathomable to me. Literally. I just can't see how anyone in their right mind could approve of this and high-five Sideshow for doing "a good job", or making a collectible "worth the price". It's downright insane.

If I were to go into said collectible's thread and post this, I'd be labelled a "hater" or "troll". It's like Sideshow and these other companies have brainwashed collectors. They could sell piles of horse **** for thousands of dollars and people would buy them all in an instant.

Rant over. :wave

Totally agree with the OP, because he's right. Everyone on this damn board is way too easily pleased. These companies shouldn't be getting away with the crap they pull. Defect after defect. Price increase after price increase. "Collectors" just eat this **** up unfortunately.

For example,

$2000 for a 1/4 scale predator maquette with a paint job that honestly isn't that impressive.

TWO. THOUSAND. DOLLARS.

That is almost unfathomable to me. Literally. I just can't see how anyone in their right mind could approve of this and high-five Sideshow for doing "a good job", or making a collectible "worth the price". It's downright insane.

If I were to go into said collectible's thread and post this, I'd be labelled a "hater" or "troll". It's like Sideshow and these other companies have brainwashed collectors. They could sell piles of horse **** for thousands of dollars and people would buy them all in an instant.

8,382 posts and not a SideShow fan? Why didn't you gtfo a few thousand posts ago?

I really hate people who tear into SideShow. Especially people who create entire threads to bash a company we all should be lucky we have.

No, we are not too easily pleased!

The Obi-wan is missing a hilt but it is literally one of best statues I have ever laid my eyes upon. It would probably be my grail piece if I was a bigger Star Wars fan and if the Punisher wasn't my favorite superhero.

This is pretty much the perfect post to illustrate why QC problems will never be fixed :yess:

For example,

TWO. THOUSAND. DOLLARS.

Granted there are sometimes issues - but no where near as many or as often as the screamer trolls would have you believe.

For every person that is a complainer:

-there are 100 that are perfectly happy with the items they get.

-there are 50 people that are perfectly happy until they read a complaint on a forum and then go along with the troll herd and figure there must be something wrong.

-there are 3 or 4 people that actually bought the item and have a legitimate complaint.

8,382 posts and not a SideShow fan? Why didn't you gtfo a few thousand posts ago?
You're right. I'm not a Sideshow fan. I hate the way they run their company. However, I am an Alien and Predator fan and there's not really anywhere else to get statues from those franchises. Unless they're custom, but I've been screwed over going that route too.

By being a member here I'm able to gather extra information on various collectibles I'm interested in. Not to mention the loads of info I get from the TV/movie section.

Granted there are sometimes issues - but no where near as many or as often as the screamer trolls would have you believe.

For every person that is a complainer:

-there are 100 that are perfectly happy with the items they get.

-there are 50 people that are perfectly happy until they read a complaint on a forum and then go along with the troll herd and figure there must be something wrong.

-there are 3 or 4 people that actually bought the item and have a legitimate complaint.
I've had problems with every Sideshow collectible I've purchased. I don't pre-order anything anymore because of this. I wait for in-hand photos to make my decision.

But it's got so bad that even the collectibles that people claim to be "of Sideshow's best quality" are actually very flawed too.

I didn't want to post this in the statue's thread because I didn't want to upset anyone but anyway:

With my latest SS purchase I waited for in-hand photos and reviews, everyone whose purchased it thinks it's flawless from what I've read. I thought it looked fantastic in everyone's photos, but it wasn't until I actually received mine that I noticed all of the issues it has.

1. Tons of tiny paint chips and scrapes.
2. Lots of sloppy paintwork.
3. They didn't even paint one of his eyebrows.
4. Lightsaber hilt is slightly warped.
5. Lightsaber wielding hand won't stay in without extra assistance.
6. Statue is a bit wobbly on the base and has a slight lean.
7. The head sculpts fit in place properly, but where it connects to the back is uneven.

I can get over some issues like the lean and the loose hand, but things like the paint slop and chips will always bother me. I don't know anything about painting, but I'm trying to learn a bit so I can clean up this statue I paid $250 for. Does that honestly sound right to you?

And this isn't some special case where I'm the only one whose statue has these flaws, it's all of them. People just think this is normal and how all collectibles should be. I don't. I just don't think it's fair that the only way to have statues/figures of the characters I want is to have to "live" with these flaws.

I look at pictures online of SideShow pieces to determine if I am going to buy them (obviously).

I own 21 SideShow pieces. Pictures never do any of the pieces I own justice. That's why I get so excited once I start opening the box. Once I get to look at the piece set up on the table I have been blown away each and every time. WHY DO YOU THINK IM ADDICTED?!

Why shouldn't we have our say though or at least be realistic about it? I along with you keep the company running. I actually have bought the Obi-wan statue even with this sub par QC blunder making my own post almost poetically ironic. I have the Dark Rider on order and will most likely be up at the crack of dawn to get the Superman EX statue.

That's $2000 of my cash dropped in a blink of the eye without even seeing so much as one in hand shot (sans Obi).

It's not like I can send the stuff back easily either. I just think how awesome it would feel to be thinking on the way to the depot "this thing will be awesome "instead of " Fark, I really hope I managed to snag a good one, even if it's got bad paint that would be a good result.... "

Maybe I'm over reacting a tad. Perhaps these boards amplify bad points too much. I still feel though half of these problems seem to be easily avoidable. How can you put a spelling mistake on a $700 statue? I mean is it from the markets in Bangkok or Sideshow? How can I get a limited edition of 1200 when there are 2000 being made...? :lol

Why shouldn't we have our say though or at least be realistic about it? I along with you keep the company running. I actually have bought the Obi-wan statue even with this sub par QC blunder making my own post almost poetically ironic. I have the Dark Rider on order and will most likely be up at the crack of dawn to get the Superman EX statue.

That's $2000 of my cash dropped in a blink of the eye without even seeing so much as one in hand shot (sans Obi).

It's not like I can send the stuff back easily either. I just think how awesome it would feel to be thinking on the way to the depot "this thing will be awesome "instead of " Fark, I really hope I managed to snag a good one, even if it's got bad paint that would be a good result.... "

Maybe I'm over reacting a tad. Perhaps these boards amplify bad points too much. I still feel though half of these problems seem to be easily avoidable. How can you put a spelling mistake on a $700 statue? I mean is it from the markets in Bangkok or Sideshow? How can I get a limited edition of 1200 when there are 2000 being made...? :lol

I'm sorry, I can't relate to your feelings on SideShow arriving the mail, actually my thoughts are pretty much the opposite.

Think about this? How can the number e.g. "147/1,200" instead of "147/2,000" cause you significant dissatisfaction. The only person I know of in the world who would be troubled by that is my friend Tony who has been clinically diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder by a psychiatrist, takes medication, and has nearly been hospitalized.

I know it would bother him because we both collect Marvel comics. We get a lot. I read the digital and he reads the hard copy and doesn't care about redeeming the digital code. I offered him and suggested numerous times if we each paid $2 for a comic we could both get what we want and literally save hundreds of dollars a year. He is in debt but buys comics. He can't take off the little sticker to reveal he code because he couldn't live with the comic not being perfect. Codes expire in 6 months and go to waste.

I feel a lot of complainers here are like Tony.

Get in the real world. My friend Sean didn't like a stripe on the strap of his messenger bag so he covered it with black tape. It's not perfect but it looks like a black strap so who the **** cares?

EDIT: And I'm positive at some time in the near future SideShow will address the Obi-wan Mythos ES error.
EDIT EDIT: wait it's a $350 statue. And I'm not sure from your post if that's a significant problem to you. But yes, getting ****ed up statues in the mail does suck. Never happened to me luckily.

Last edited:
As much as these companies profit, there is no excuse for the bad QC. It's just greed. Plain and simple...

You're right. I'm not a Sideshow fan. I hate the way they run their company. However, I am an Alien and Predator fan and there's not really anywhere else to get statues from those franchises. Unless they're custom, but I've been screwed over going that route too.

By being a member here I'm able to gather extra information on various collectibles I'm interested in. Not to mention the loads of info I get from the TV/movie section.

I've had problems with every Sideshow collectible I've purchased. I don't pre-order anything anymore because of this. I wait for in-hand photos to make my decision.

But it's got so bad that even the collectibles that people claim to be "of Sideshow's best quality" are actually very flawed too.

I didn't want to post this in the statue's thread because I didn't want to upset anyone but anyway:

With my latest SS purchase I waited for in-hand photos and reviews, everyone whose purchased it thinks it's flawless from what I've read. I thought it looked fantastic in everyone's photos, but it wasn't until I actually received mine that I noticed all of the issues it has.

1. Tons of tiny paint chips and scrapes.
2. Lots of sloppy paintwork.
3. They didn't even paint one of his eyebrows.
4. Lightsaber hilt is slightly warped.
5. Lightsaber wielding hand won't stay in without extra assistance.
6. Statue is a bit wobbly on the base and has a slight lean.
7. The head sculpts fit in place properly, but where it connects to the back is uneven.

I can get over some issues like the lean and the loose hand, but things like the paint slop and chips will always bother me. I don't know anything about painting, but I'm trying to learn a bit so I can clean up this statue I paid $250 for. Does that honestly sound right to you?

And this isn't some special case where I'm the only one whose statue has these flaws, it's all of them. People just think this is normal and how all collectibles should be. I don't. I just don't think it's fair that the only way to have statues/figures of the characters I want is to have to "live" with these flaws.

So every single SS figure you buy have flaws - and yet you keep buying :slap With your standards - that SS clearly can't meet - you should stop buying anything right now.

Yo. I'm not pointing fingers but some collectors have serious OCD issues. I feel for Kathy sitting behind her desk.

"Uh, yea, there is this white spec on the back of his head. I want a new one."

"Oh, I'm very sorry. We'll fix that."

In her head, "OMFG another OCD *****. Eh. It's a paycheck and a SideShow discount. Best part :yess:

So every single SS figure you buy have flaws - and yet you keep buying :slap With your standards - that SS clearly can't meet - you should stop buying anything right now.
How does that make any sense? Oh, wait. It doesn't.

Essentially you're telling me that if I purchase anything from Sideshow (or any other company for that matter) and there's a flaw with it, rather than addressing that flaw I should simply ignore it and stop buying from them?

Do you realize how narrow-minded you sound?

I now fully know what to expect when buying Sideshow's merchandise. Unfortunately, as I've said in an earlier post, there aren't any other options. It's Sideshow or nothing. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. Does that mean I'm going to ignore Sideshow's screw-ups? Hell no. They deserve criticism. I'm a customer. I'm gonna criticize them when it's deserved.

Instead of addressing the problem and hoping for some sort of improvement, just ignore it and run away. That's the spirit.

Yo. I'm not pointing fingers but some collectors have serious OCD issues. I feel for Kathy sitting behind her desk.

"Uh, yea, there is this white spec on the back of his head. I want a new one."

"Oh, I'm very sorry. We'll fix that."

In her head, "OMFG another OCD *****. Eh. It's a paycheck and a SideShow discount. Best part :yess:
I hope your Arthas statue has a glaring white spot on the back of it's head. Not like you paid $350 for it or anything. :monkey1

How does that make any sense? Oh, wait. It doesn't.

Essentially you're telling me that if I purchase anything from Sideshow (or any other company for that matter) and there's a flaw with it, rather than addressing that flaw I should simply ignore it and stop buying from them?

Do you realize how narrow-minded you sound?

I now fully know what to expect when buying Sideshow's merchandise. Unfortunately, as I've said in an earlier post, there aren't any other options. It's Sideshow or nothing. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. Does that mean I'm going to ignore Sideshow's screw-ups? Hell no. They deserve criticism. I'm a customer. I'm gonna criticize them when it's deserved.

Instead of addressing the problem and hoping for some sort of improvement, just ignore it and run away. That's the spirit.

I hope your Arthas statue has a glaring white spot on the back of it's head. Not like you paid $350 for it or anything. :monkey1

...*head explodes*

I've had issue with some of Sideshow's stuff before, but they've always impressed me with their CS... even going the extra mile to cover stuff coming from HT. The one saving grace here is that if you're ever really unhappy with the overall aesthetic, you can always find a buyer to get you your money back and more. For everything else, SSC is pretty good at replacements. No need to get upset.

As for the "limited" mispelling, that is embarrassing but considering how mind blowing the sculpt is, I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker. It sounds like something Hulk would do anyway, lol.

His eyebrows are funky but if you pay attention during the film, you'll see that was how he was mapped to CGI.

Think about this? How can the number e.g. "147/1,200" instead of "147/2,000" cause you significant dissatisfaction. The only person I know of in the world who would be troubled by that is my friend Tony who has been clinically diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder by a psychiatrist, takes medication, and has nearly been hospitalized.

Well the answer to that is simple. How do I know I don't in fact have number 147 of 5000?

I'm no lawyer and have no clue but surely flogging "Limited Edition" statue's with incorrect numbers on the bottom has some legal loop holes somewhere down the road. Why bother making them limited at all? Lets just flog the poor buggers til we've rung them dry? Stick "Sold out" on the website then flog another 500 in a months time. :lol

What happens when you go round to your mates house to show him your number 48 of 500 Punisher statue and he's got number 48?? :slap :lol

Just so you know, it doesn't bother me if the thing goes up or down in value or it's 1 of only 10 statue's or 1 of 10,000. Just don't tell me it's 2000 and comes with a saber hilt then flog me something else once you've took my cash. Not that big of an ask surely is it?

Well the answer to that is simple. How do I know I don't in fact have number 147 of 5000?

I'm no lawyer and have no clue but surely flogging "Limited Edition" statue's with incorrect numbers on the bottom has some legal loop holes somewhere down the road. Why bother making them limited at all? Lets just flog the poor buggers til we've rung them dry? Stick "Sold out" on the website then flog another 500 in a months time. :lol

What happens when you go round to your mates house to show him your number 48 of 500 Punisher statue and he's got number 48?? :slap :lol

Just so you know, it doesn't bother me if the thing goes up or down in value or it's 1 of only 10 statue's or 1 of 10,000. Just don't tell me it's 2000 and comes with a saber hilt then flog me something else once you've took my cash. Not that big of an ask surely is it?

As I said I'm positive SideShow will release a statement about the ES issue. Idk about the hilt. Does it really bother you? Why? For me, I just look at the beautiful statue. There are LOTS and LOTS of weapons and trinkets to look at on him. One little hilt is such a small detail on such a detail rich piece I simply don't care. I get over the fact that if he has the empty hand displayed and no light saber hilt...well. I don't really care that he's missing his saber. Maybe he left it at home. Idk.

Back