Are these the same? If not, which is better?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jml969

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey I was just looking at the new Spiderman 3 products. I saw the Sideshow one where the black Spiderman perched on the building looking downward- very solemn. Then I saw the Master replicas version in a similar pose with a rainy background. I don't know if this topic has been brought up yet but I just wanted to get the opinions of others.

Hey j
They are definitely different though in the same scale and looking similar. The backdrop of the MR version makes me think its superior - but it really all comes down to opinion. :maul

I dunno, I think the backdrop of the MR makes it look kinda cheap. Like all these collectables, the definition of "better" varies.

I don't think anyone here can comment on quality until they get product in hand, but based on pose and pictures so far, the Sideshow one is better, imo. It really captures the inner struggle and sadness that's portrayed in the movie advertisements (and, I assume, the movie itself) whereas the MR one looks more like black Spidey out on patrol.

I also like the more gothic looking building that Spidey is crouching on in the Sideshow version as opposed to the more generic looking MR one.

All that being said, I have no idea which is "movie accurate."

I'd definitely go for Sideshow's personally.
While the backdrop is cool looking, it immediately reminds me of McFarlane stuff.

I like backdrops, but only when done creatively. The square one doesnt really work for me.
.. but thats me

Thanks for posting that Bob.

I agree with Occ, I like the Sideshow a little bit better.

Hey guys,
Thanks for your opinions. I like the backdrop but I do think that the Sideshow one looks more detailed- esp the building. I was thinking of picking one of these up as a gift for a good friend of mine.

jml969 said:
Hey guys,
Thanks for your opinions. I like the backdrop but I do think that the Sideshow one looks more detailed- esp the building. I was thinking of picking one of these up as a gift for a good friend of mine.

I like the back drop with the rain on the MR one I also like the Spidey on the MR better. Where the MR has lost though is the building it is just not cutting it and that hurt the piece as a whole.

jimmyjamesf said:
I like the back drop with the rain on the MR one I also like the Spidey on the MR better. Where the MR has lost though is the building it is just not cutting it and that hurt the piece as a whole.

I agree with the Godfather. I love the backdrop, mirrored base, and actual spiderman sculpt of the Master Replicas version. However that tower is cheap looking.

The Sideshow spiderman sculpt is looking way too downwards for my taste. I dont like the fact that when you're looking straight at him you'll be looking at the top of his head....cant even see his face and those white eyes. However the SS tower is awesome.

nash said:
I agree with the Godfather. I love the backdrop, mirrored base, and actual spiderman sculpt of the Master Replicas version. However that tower is cheap looking.

The Sideshow spiderman sculpt is looking way too downwards for my taste. I dont like the fact that when you're looking straight at him you'll be looking at the top of his head....cant even see his face and those white eyes. However the SS tower is awesome.

I agree 100% with what Nash just said. :D If only the Master Replicas version had the cool building like Sideshow's...

I prefer the MR one, mostly because it recreates the teaser poster. After much thought its the one I've decided I'm going to get. Hopefully it doesn't look cheap in person, that's my biggest concern. Sometimes it is so hard to tell from pictures.

Agent0028 said:
I prefer the MR one, mostly because it recreates the teaser poster.

Depends on which poster you're talking about:

spiderman20320posterthuvg4.jpg
poster1hugejs6.jpg

I'd say Sideshow nailed the one on the left while MR took the pose of the one on the right and gave it a stormy background similar to the one on the left.

If anything it looks like SS took the ledge from the pic on the right and imposed it on the position of the first picture. Both MR and SS seem to be in the same position, and actually MR's while not as visually appealing is more screen-accurate.

SSC's looks a hundred times better than MR's. It's way more detailed and nice looking. MR's looks very cheap and Diamond Select-ish, with a bunch of clutter. It's freaking ugly. And for that price?! :rotfl

I'd go with SS-- the extraneous stuff strikes me as tacky on the MR piece.

Sure, the building on the SS version probably is not as 'accurate' as the MR one-- but sacrificing that in favor of a more appealing design, was a good decision, not bad. After all, what is it 'accurate' to? A random building that you can barely see on a teaser poster? Does that really need to be 'accurate and authentic'.... not to me.

As for Spidey itself, I think I also prefer the SS one, but it's hard to say as I've never seen the MR one in person, and MR's photos are unflattering. The SS one isn't perfect either, but still looks a tad more refined to me.

MR's is based on the original teaser poster according to some of their reps where Sony/Columbia changed the poster a bit before release. Originally the angle was different, etc. MR's stuff went into production quite a long time ago because their initial Marvel releases were pushed back by request of Marvel due to the ramping up for SM3. MR is in the Hasbro boat where they work off a lot of early stuff. If you look at Hasbro, MR, GG, DST, SSC all of their Spider-Man 3 stuff is similar but not exact. Personally if I could take SSC's statue and slam it on top of MR's presentation I'd have the perfect piece. I've seen and held MR's though, its really, really nice....the definition is done really well with muscles in the back, etc shaded and pronounced. I like theirs a lot...

Kabukiman said:
Depends on which poster you're talking about:
I'd say Sideshow nailed the one on the left while MR took the pose of the one on the right and gave it a stormy background similar to the one on the left.
I meant the first one. The pose is slightly different, but I think that the basic point is the same.

Mike, glad to hear your input. I think I mentioned before that I was a little concerned that the background might make it look cheap, glad to hear it doesn't.

Back