Are the new superhero movies ok for kids?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should clarify; if there were even the slightest chance of a crying kid, there's no way I'm taking him. Nor is talking allowed. We always sit in the aisle so we can make a quick exit if need be. Discussion always happens outside during bathroom breaks or after the movie. I can't stand going to movie theaters anymore for the same reasons you stated (I've found teenagers and barely 20-somethings to be much more disruptive though). I go for the early Sunday matinee to avoid the crowds. If it weren't for my kid wanting to go, I wouldn't go to movie theaters period.

Sounds like you do it right, I applaud you for that.

I hate going to an early show and see people bringing kids in a stroller or even babies wrapped up in blankets into the theaters. I don't know how they can even enjoy the movie because of the loud noises startling their kids and they start crying. You are also right about teenagers but you can put them in their place and not feel bad about it.

The funny thing, the last three midnight showings I've caught there were 6 and 7 year olds fully awake or amazingly cranky and crying and whining throughout the whole movie. I believe the last Harry Potter I had to see it twice because so much was missed going then. I applaud any parent that take these precautions because its so sorely missing from society.

Yeah, take your kids to see Speed Racer. Probably the best.

But as for kids going to the moives, there was a theater when I was in Va Beach, VA that wouldn't let kids in to certain shows during the 9PM and later shows! It was so amazing! I think you even had to be like 18 and above or something. It was just for adults. Best theater ever!! And it was one of those diner theaters, so you could get a pitcher of beer and some food while you watched your movie!

Are the new superhero movies appropriate for kids under 10? My son is 9 and he wants to see Iron Man, the Dark Knight, HellBoy II etc. What is your opinion on these movies for kids?

I am the screener for my nieces and nephews. My sister asks me my opinion before she lets them see most movies. I remember when the first Spiderman came out and my nephew really wanted to see it, but it had some gruesome scenes between Spidey and the Goblin. I let him watch parts of it when it came out on DVD. Spidey 2, on the other hand, was much more tame, so I took him to see it.

I think Dark Knight might be a little too intense for any kid below 6th or 7th grade. Hellboy could go either way. Iron Man looks to be the closest all ages movie.

Are the new superhero movies appropriate for kids under 10? My son is 9 and he wants to see Iron Man, the Dark Knight, HellBoy II etc. What is your opinion on these movies for kids?

A good rule of thumb is to always check it out yourself in advance if you are concerned. My son is six and really wants to see Iron Man. I am going to see it first, and then take him afterwards. I did the same with Ghost Rider, and was able to have him close his eyes during parts I knew were coming up that would scare him. I will take him to PG movies without seeing it in advance, but generally not PG-13. Don't want him to have nightmares!

We will see Speed Racer together without a preview.

Back