• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Are offers ok now?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone brought this up to Dave to see what his reasoning is for the change? I agree that a price should be posted. It's common sense that if you really want to sell something, you'll post an asking price and THEN take offers if people feel your price is too high. By not doing so you already lose potential buyers...

I honestly don't know what an item I have for sale is worth, so if I can get an idea from the board, that helps!

Yeah, and if you have something people really want, they'll make offers. If you're talking about some random Hot Toys figure, then sure. Look on eBay and the seller/buyer know what to expect, so not listing a price seems kind of pointless. But that's not all that is sold on the forum.

I honestly don't know what an item I have for sale is worth, so if I can get an idea from the board, that helps!

I use Ebay completed auctions and then I use this calculator:

https://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html

...to figure out how much I'm actually going to make after Ebay and PayPal take their cuts. That gives me a very precise answer on how much current market value is for the item I'm trying to sell. Then I price things appropriately. This method has worked for me for years and I've never had any trouble getting things sold quickly.

If a price here looks better than Ebay's going rate, you'll definitely make a sale because people are always looking for deals on what they are after.

What if it is a very unique piece? ie: 0 results found for velvet morning brawler when I did my search? There are some options that don't work.

Not really. There are lots of custom figures that don't go up for sale very often because, unlike Hot Toys, they aren't produced in the thousands. VM, Rainman, Iminime, Serang, Betomatali, Kojun, and others all have figures of this type. I can count on one hand the number of Alex DeLarge Rainman figures I've seen for sale over the last few years.

Not really. There are lots of custom figures that don't go up for sale very often because, unlike Hot Toys, they aren't produced in the thousands. VM, Rainman, Iminime, Serang, Betomatali, Kojun, and others all have figures of this type. I can count on one hand the number of Alex DeLarge Rainman figures I've seen for sale over the last few years.

If you were replying to me, you added to my point of few and far between

What if it is a very unique piece? ie: 0 results found for velvet morning brawler when I did my search? There are some options that don't work.

True. There will always be exceptions to any method. Unique pieces I would post a price that I feel is fair for the item and then take offers from there, or I'd just go stick it on Ebay at a starting price that I was comfortable with and let the buyers market dictate whether it was worth more than my asking price or not. If it doesn't sell you aren't out anything with Ebay's 50 free listings every month and you know you priced said item too high.

Then sell it for a price that YOU would be happy with. Don't let other people dictate how much you should or should not be happy with.

Both the buyer and seller should walk away from a deal feeling like they did well. You don't need to know what someone ELSE paid for something to feel good about what you purchased - you should be responsible enough to sell (and pay) at a price that fits your budgets and how much you feel something is worth to you.

Sadly this board has lost a lot of its old luster ever since hot toy became so popular and a ton of hot toys focused people have joined. Even a couple years ago this place used to be more for discussion and making hobby friends and now it is eBay's younger brother for action figures.

Back then, most members would post fair prices and often below market prices with the expectation that everyone would do so as well. Now, every member seems to want to sell their hot toys here for absurd prices even when a particular figure is in stock for retail price. This "best offer" policy is terrible. More often than not, sellers just do it to lie or "test the market".

I don't mind offers in fact I prefer it, to the having to state a price and then keep reducing it.
So disheartning and tragic:(

In fact I prefer people just to send me an offer even if its lower than I expected.
It's a better system than ebay.
You don't have to take the offer or sell an item at a stupid price, for fear of bad feedback pulling out of the sale.
On there people including myself just watch, waiting for you to relist the item over and over untill the price is right.
Maybe I'm tight and my prices are too high to start with, or we really are in a depression.
The money I see people spending on this board I can't see it.
Everyone likes a bargain I guess even if it's not but they think it is:)

Last edited:
If you were replying to me, you added to my point of few and far between
No, I was giving one example of many as representative of this kind of niche product with market values that cannot be easily estimated. Across all his releases, you may see one Rainman full set of any kind on Ebay in an entire month.

who has time to make offers? i am not going to sit around guessing at a price...

This sucks big time.
like some said, i did not came here to find evil bay baby brother.
State a price that you are happy with, and add OBO (or best offer).
If you dont know the price of an item ask for an estimation but dont use this as an excuse to start a secret bid war.
This is not the mentality i met with when i discovered the forum.
Seriously sucks...

Back