Are movie pricing themselves out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love movies but I've pretty much stopped going to the theater because of the high prices and generally poor theater-going experience. Now I only go maybe 3 or 4 times a year for something that needs to be seen on the big screen, or for a date night with the wife. I end up Netflixing most movies and there's only been a small handful that I regret not having seen on the big screen first.

to see the 3D movies in the UK it costs £18 for 2 which is around $28 then your talking another £10 ( $15.5) for a drink and popcorn so total of £28 - $42.12 , sooooo if its a realy bad move you feel like you have been robbed .

ok saw wolfman this weekend at 5:45 showing
ticket 10-
SMALL popcorn 6-
no drink (cheapest was 4-)
no candy (cheapest was 3.50-)

now if i waited 2-3 months i could buy the dvd for 16-

these prices are so bad i simply wont go to a theater to see a movie i just am slightly interested in or not sure i'll like.

and dont get me started on the popcorn, the prices sicken me, but if im in a theater , i need it

Does anyone else find it amusing that a $300 Wolfman Premium Format is acceptable but 10 bucks to see him in action is not? ;)

I agree.
I still think they need to create a mass chain of high-end theaters and actually raise prices to make each trip seem actually worth it.

Maybe $18 per person ticket price, but seat you on a couch and/or recliners (not cramped) with a waiter to check on you and bring you whatever you want.

A movie chain should come out doing something similar.

The company I work for in Vegas is building this exact thing actually; nice meals with a wine list and all of it, well that is, if the economy gets out of the ____ter. :sick

Movies are only going to be more expensive now that Avatar has shown the studios the revenues possible from 3D tickets. :horror

Actually, you really don't need to sneak that stuff in. Most theaters stopped banning outside snacks a decade ago ... they just didn't really advertise that the ban was off.

SnakeDoc

Every theater I have been to does not let you bring anything in. Of course it is smart and very easy to simply put a drink and some food in your jacket or elsewhere. And even at that, who is going to stop you if you walk in holding a drink in your hand? The person taking tickets? They need better things to worry about.

Even if theaters started allowing folks to bring in their own stuff, while they would lose some money, a lot of people won't bring their own stuff and still spend money at the concession stand.

If movie theaters don't want to 'allow' outside food to be brought in, then they should lower their prices.

as long as they can find poor saps that are willing to pay 4x more than the item is worth they are willing to let 3 people pass the item and just sell to the 4th person. its actually cheaper to do that than to hire enough people to handle higher sales or to restock inventory. Imagine the lines to get stuff if it was cheap!

I usally only go to the movies with my girlfriend so I end up spending $20 on tickets alone. So we usally dont go unless its something we really want to see or if there is another movie we can slip in and see afterwards.

I go twice a week, to be honest, I don't really know how much it costs, but I think I paid about $17 for a matinee of Avatar in 3D.

my wife and i try to go a couple times a month, and it's not too bad. however, we sneak in our own drinks and candy... and share a medium popcorn.

I wish I had more time to go to the movies. For me there's still nothing like sitting in a dark theater watching a movie on the big screen. I don't need popcorn or a soda to enjoy the experience.
matinees are your friend.

They certainly are. :lecture

Actually, you really don't need to sneak that stuff in. Most theaters stopped banning outside snacks a decade ago ... they just didn't really advertise that the ban was off.

SnakeDoc

There's signs in our theaters saying no outside food. What they would do if they actually caught you with it though, I don't know.

20090724_3d_560x375.jpg

That's King when he snuck his pizza in to see Avatar. He's gonna try to get a whole ham in when he sees a movie over Easter.

I wish I had more time to go to the movies. For me there's still nothing like sitting in a dark theater watching a movie on the big screen. I don't need popcorn or a soda to enjoy the experience.

They certainly are. :lecture

i guess manatees used to be called mermaids or something by lonely sailors...so yeah i guess they could be friendly.

Back