Are movie pricing themselves out?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortiz344

Super Freak
Reaction score
ok saw wolfman this weekend at 5:45 showing
ticket 10-
SMALL popcorn 6-
no drink (cheapest was 4-)
no candy (cheapest was 3.50-)

now if i waited 2-3 months i could buy the dvd for 16-

these prices are so bad i simply wont go to a theater to see a movie i just am slightly interested in or not sure i'll like.

and dont get me started on the popcorn, the prices sicken me, but if im in a theater , i need it

Go to early shows and stay away from the snack bar. I usually watch a movie every week and only spend $6.

ok saw wolfman this weekend at 5:45 showing
ticket 10-
SMALL popcorn 6-
no drink (cheapest was 4-)
no candy (cheapest was 3.50-)

now if i waited 2-3 months i could buy the dvd for 16-

these prices are so bad i simply wont go to a theater to see a movie i just am slightly interested in or not sure i'll like.

and dont get me started on the popcorn, the prices sicken me, but if im in a theater , i need it

To be honest you do not NEED popcorn. However, I feel your pain. I maybe see 3 or 4 movies in the theater throughout the year. It is too damn expensive and I have a nice setup at home. But if it's a big release then yes I will go out and see it if I can't wait that long.

My wife and I only go on date nights occasionally, or if there is something that we really want to see. We end up going 3 or 4 times a year. We'd go a lot more for $5 a pop, rather than $10.

You'd think theaters would rather have people in the chairs at $5 a ticket, than riding empty seats at $10 a ticket.

SnakeDoc

I'm not sure how true it is, but theaters have always said that they make very little on the movie tickets and have to charge high prices for the concessions.

I always go to the early shows and try to stay away from concessions. I sneak nummies in once in awhile. I always have to have a drink though, but at our theater it isn't too bad.

I agree.
I still think they need to create a mass chain of high-end theaters and actually raise prices to make each trip seem actually worth it.

Maybe $18 per person ticket price, but seat you on a couch and/or recliners (not cramped) with a waiter to check on you and bring you whatever you want.

Possibly even do what a Comedy club a couple hours away from me does.
They have 2 restaurants in the building. Higher end dining top floor, and a bar and grill in the basement with the Comedy club on the main floor in the middle.
With purchase of dinner and a show ticket you get a discount..

A movie chain should come out doing something similar.

The price + atmosphere = :monkey4

Going to the theater is a chore for me. Not fun at all.

I enjoy it alot! But the theater I go to is always kept nice and they don't tolerate trouble. Only time I don't enjoy it is when the movie stinks.

I agree.
I still think they need to create a mass chain of high-end theaters and actually raise prices to make each trip seem actually worth it.

Maybe $18 per person ticket price, but seat you on a couch and/or recliners (not cramped) with a waiter to check on you and bring you whatever you want.

Possibly even do what a Comedy club a couple hours away from me.
They have 2 restaurants in the building. Higher end dining top floor, and a bar and grill in the basement with the Comedy club on the main floor in the middle.
With purchase of dinner and a show ticket you get a discount..

A movie chain should come out doing something similar.

They actually have one like that in Toledo. I think it's $18 a ticket night time. I'm at work right now and can't search for it, but I will when I get home.

I'm not sure how true it is, but theaters have always said that they make very little on the movie tickets and have to charge high prices for the concessions.

I always go to the early shows and try to stay away from concessions. I sneak nummies in once in awhile. I always have to have a drink though, but at our theater it isn't too bad.

Actually, you really don't need to sneak that stuff in. Most theaters stopped banning outside snacks a decade ago ... they just didn't really advertise that the ban was off.

SnakeDoc

i tried it, mine stoppped me from bringing in bags of popcorn and candy (i was shocked ) i dont think its right for them to monopolize the food but yet prevent you from bring ing in your own.

Its their property ... so they can monopolize whatever they want. But, it seems to me a bad practice to throw out/ lock horns with a paying customer.

That would've been the last time they ever saw my face.

SnakeDoc

My wife and I try to go to matinees most of the time...
We bring our own soda, or water... and if we buy popcorn it's a small one,
Besides, by going early we avoid annoying people, wait lines and we always find great seats.

I prefer watching movies @ a theater, the experience isn't just the same @ home, unless you have an amazing setup with a projector and amazing seats...

Recently my wife and I have begun going to more upscale movie theaters. They are more expensive but they make the experience more enjoyable IMO. The higher price also means we don't get the annoying teenagers or punks.

We skip on the stuff we can easily eat at home, popcorn, soda, candy but the theaters we go to now offer decent food. So I kinda look at it as paying $50 for a dinner and movie rather than $25 just for the movie and snacks.

We only go to the movies like 3 or 4 times a year though.

I have snuck soda and candy in, kinda hard to sneak hot popcorn with melted butter though. I just dont think i should have to. If the prices were even close to reasonable, id buy from them, its just so obvious they are gouging...

bottom line is that if you arent a blockbuster must see, its too much money to see in the theaters, 90% of the other not as big movies are killing the industry because soon noon e will bother going to theaters at all..

yeah, i don't understand how little movies or chick flix or even normal comedies make any money in the theaters. a joke isn't any less funny on a smaller screen. or an emotional scene any less emotional. i wait for the netflix on those.

but for epic huge movies I think they are must sees on the big screen.

I always go to the early shows and try to stay away from concessions. I sneak nummies in once in awhile.

Sneak food and stuff in.

20090724_3d_560x375.jpg

matinees are your friend. plus it pays to live in the artic like me so your can sneak a 4 course meal inside your giant gortex jacket. my friend used to pop his own microwave popcorn and shove the bag inside his jacket.:lol

but yeah, all the ticket sales go directly to the studios. the only way the theater makes any money is through concessions.

Back