Aragorn upon Brego: New Photos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOTRFan said:
There is a large difference between "actor worship," and the FILMS that these pieces are based on. This is an OLD debate, but if we don't judge the likeness from the film representations what do we use as our guide?

Insert "essence" posts below .....

:peace

I guess "actor worship" wasn't what I really meant. After reading the posts I can understand why some folks want the statues to look like the actors in the movie. For me, I had my own imagination stoked by be the books long before the movies were made (Even before Bakshi's 1978 attempt). Although Elijah Wood's "Frodo" came very close to hitting the bull's eye for what I imagined from the books, Viggo's "Aragorn" missed the mark by many leagues. I am not questioning Viggo's acting abitlities, he is very good. I am questioning the casting of him as Aragorn. To me, Aragorn was much larger and rougher around the edges in the book than Viggo's movie version. Although not perfect, I feel that Sean Bean would have been a better Aragorn (my version) than Viggo was. Just musing and rambling here but these are the reason's I like my Aragorn statue, because it looks like a rougher, dirtier individual than Viggo did in the films. Again, sorry about the actor worship comment....I see both sides.:peace

Gondor59 said:
Although Elijah Wood's "Frodo" came very close to hitting the bull's eye for what I imagined from the books,

A Fifty year old slightly tubby Elijah Wood maybe :naughty

I have the original prototype photo on my site, it looks the same as the updated pics on Sideshow's site. As to likeness, I think Elessar looks the most like Viggo. Although the Black gates statue does not look very much like Viggo, the Horse, Armor and Gondorian details are incredible. I think this is a great statue, anyone know when it is scheduled to ship?

Original Sideshow Pic:

Aragorn at the Black Gates Prototype

Corwin said:
A Fifty year old slightly tubby Elijah Wood maybe :naughty

LOL exactly, having read the books before the films ... Frodo always appeared MUCH too young. :peace

I think EW played Frodo about as perfectly as anyone could. He might look a little young for the part but this is an area where I didn't get bothered with PJ.

jlcmsu said:
I think EW played Frodo about as perfectly as anyone could. He might look a little young for the part but this is an area where I didn't get bothered with PJ.

A little? Frodo was supposed to be fifty when he begins his journey!

LOTRFan said:
A little? Frodo was supposed to be fifty when he begins his journey!

I know. I've read the book. They really couldnt go with someone who was supposed to look 50. I just don't think the non-readers would have bought it.

PJ would have needed to take the time to explain that Hobbits have longer life spans and don't come of age until they are 33. (Although audiences could have figured out something close to that since Bilbo was celebrating his 111th birthday.)

tomandshell said:
PJ would have needed to take the time to explain that Hobbits have longer life spans and don't come of age until they are 33. (Although audiences could have figured out something close to that since Bilbo was celebrating his 111th birthday.)

Exactly:peace It would have eaten time up that really didn't need to be eaten up. We know the general publics attention span is about as long as a TV Commerical.

jlcmsu said:
I know. I've read the book. They really couldnt go with someone who was supposed to look 50. I just don't think the non-readers would have bought it.

That's right. Goes to show that not everything from a book can be translated into an other reality!

Also, they movie doesn't say that Frodo isn't 50. Maybe it just so happens that a remarkably well preserved 50 year old hobbit happens to look quite a lot like Elijah Wood.

I am kind of glad that PJ compressed the time frame of the book for the film version, so that we don't have to wait almost 18 years between Bilbo's birthday party and Frodo setting out with the ring. Again, the movie doesn't contradict the book, it just moves right along without mentioning the timeframe. Book readers know what is going on and how much time is really passing when Gandalf rides off to Minas Tirith and then back to Hobbiton and then off to Orthanc in the space of a few minutes of screen time.

tomandshell said:
Also, they movie doesn't say that Frodo isn't 50. Maybe it just so happens that a remarkably well preserved 50 year old hobbit happens to look quite a lot like Elijah Wood.

Yup, kind of my thoughts.

tomandshell said:
I am kind of glad that PJ compressed the time frame of the book for the film version, so that we don't have to wait almost 18 years between Bilbo's birthday party and Frodo setting out with the ring. Again, the movie doesn't contradict the book, it just moves right along without mentioning the timeframe. Book readers know what is going on and how much time is really passing when Gandalf rides off to Minas Tirith and then back to Hobbiton and then off to Orthanc in the space of a few minutes of screen time.

Ditto.

Gondor59 said:
I am not questioning Viggo's acting abitlities, he is very good. I am questioning the casting of him as Aragorn. To me, Aragorn was much larger and rougher around the edges in the book than Viggo's movie version. Although not perfect, I feel that Sean Bean would have been a better Aragorn (my version) than Viggo was. Just musing and rambling here but these are the reason's I like my Aragorn statue, because it looks like a rougher, dirtier individual than Viggo did in the films. Again, sorry about the actor worship comment....I see both sides.:peace

Viggo looks almost identical to how I pictured Aragorn. This shot of him in Bree is the EXACT image I had of Strider when I read the book:

breearagorn1xs.jpg

Would you prefer Stuart Townsend? The decision to fire him after a few days was a good one, IMO. I've actually never seen any pics of Townsend dressed as Aragorn. Do any exist?

Here is a pic of Townsend with long hair that I Googled. It is probably somewhat close to what his Aragorn looked like:

jeanclaude3sz.jpg

The casting of E. Wood is the only one that I really question, but he did an excellent job. It is LOTR "Hollywood style", but it works. Frodo should have been older, but I can overlook it. The other 3 hobbits should have been older also, but we all that would kill the important teen demographic.

My biggest problem with the films is Arwen's involvement. I HATED how the put her in the "Flight to the Ford" scene. Thank goodness they took her out of Helms Deep.

Like most others here, I read the Hobbit and LOTR before the films came out. I need to read them again to see how the films change the way I think about the books.

Yeah, I think ST would have sucked as Aragorn. We will never know though.

The movies only enhanced the way I look at the books.

Anybody else remember that Bernard Hill was not originally cast as Theoden?

"Kevin Conway will not be participating in the Trilogy as Theoden due to scheduling demands."

One of the greatest sentences I read during all of pre-production. LINK

I also remember being let down when Mike Deluca confirmed that Ethan Hawke was "out" and no longer being courted to play Faramir. Turns out that wasn't such a bad thing... LINK

Summer of 2000 seems like such a long time ago!!!

It's funny, because I can never picture anyone else playing Aragorn other then Viggo.

He was great as Aragorn, and is my favorite character in the LOTR Trilogy.

Call me in the minority, but, I am very happy with the likeness to Viggo on the Aragorn @ The Black Gates piece.

I hope it comes in soon.

:)

tomandshell said:
Anybody else remember that Bernard Hill was not originally cast as Theoden?

"Kevin Conway will not be participating in the Trilogy as Theoden due to scheduling demands."

One of the greatest sentences I read during all of pre-production. LINK

I also remember being let down when Mike Deluca confirmed that Ethan Hawke was "out" and no longer being courted to play Faramir. Turns out that wasn't such a bad thing... LINK

Summer of 2000 seems like such a long time ago!!!

Thanks for the Info Tom!! I don't remember seeing those but I'm glad neither of them worked out.

Back