Aragorn tribute bust completed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aragorn sculpt completed

Thanks again guys

ps. Where did that Eomer come from. Thas good too..

That was my first try at sculpting, naturally it was LOTR related :dance Had I not collected SSW, I don't think I would be sculpting(well, not this soon anyway)

Looks very cool Charles!! You can definitely push the clay around. The likeness is the closest I've seen to Viggo yet! :rock

Hey Gabber, hope you weren't offended by my last post.

After seeing the second shot posed with Eomer, it doesn't look so piggy anymore! :google . I think it's all about the angle of the shot. With the first, we're practically looking up his nose and the shadow below kinda helped to emphasise a certain stoutness to it (that probably wasn't there). The second photo (with the slightly elevated perspective) is much better, as it helps us to see the natural shape of the nose...it ain't so short after all! My fave thing about the bust, is definitely the armour and chainmail...that must have been painstaking huh?

You always take some great photos, and I think we all take that for granted. But the struggles to perfect the lighting, and having to wait til after daylight and all that hassle that goes with it is something we're lucky to not have to endure. :p

If the person commissioning you allows it, please post pics of sculpt #3.

:banana

Wow! Another excellent sculpt! :thud :rock

I want to start on my Treebeard! :bang

Anyone know an online shop in the UK were I can get some wire for a frame and what tools I should get?

I know where to get the clay but I wont need that until I ge the frame finished.

Psycho Cenobite :balrog

PS. You said this was never meant to be your 'perfect bust' but I bet no one at Weta has created a 'perfect bust'. I've not done any sculpting but I've done a lot of design and art work and I think you'll never be 100% happy with it. Even if everyone else is. It's a bit strange but I'm sure most artists are like that. There always seems to be something else to do but you just have to stop and say it's complete... or maybe I've just had a coffee and I'm rambling! :lol :rock :bliss

Yep,Talented Indeed.

Should do a Faramir,I will buy one.Lol:grouphug

Wow, that's an amazing sculpt.

I like you work.
Now you can make the new Hobbit line for WETA

Chuck,
Absolutely fabulous! And to think that I had the "honor" of sitting next to you at the Sideshow party. You are VERY talented and certainly someone should be paying you for your talent. I've been so impressed with your photography and now I find out the extent of your talent. And NO, I'm not applying to kiss your feet..

This is the final painted up version, mimicking the finish of something that would be found at the throne room or elsewhere at Minas Tirith.

The effect was that of white marble- a bit washed out in all of the light and shadow of the photo sorry, but I think you can get a pretty good feel of the striations in the base. I will apply a light gloss over the piece later to simulate the feel of polished stone.

arg92sr.jpg

23316090364.jpg

WS: No, not at all, no offense was taken believe me. As for posting photos of the commission, well I'll leave that up to the owner of the piece.

Lee: I may very well do one just for fun!

Psycho: Thanks for the very nice insight there, and I find agreement with much of it. For your question about wire frame- if you have radioshacks in the UK, you might try some of the aluminum wire, that's what I've been using.

Mirabella: Pleasure was all mine! Thank you very much, I"m glad you like it :wave

Thanks again everyone, sorry for the late response!

Chuck, I think your decision to go with the white marble effect really works for your Elessar bust.

Heh, I would really like to see it in person. These custom items are really needing to be seen face to face to appreciate how great they are. I would like to see how you have it displayed once you decide on where you will put it!

Great job Chuck. This looks fantastic. I really love the base as well, really sets the piece off.

Great work Gabber, I think this is the best homemade Sculpture I've seen from anyone so far, well done sir!:clap
I just have a couple of questions, What scale is it in and how long did it take?

I actually like this marble-effect on the bust.

Im not sure if its a conscious decision not to paint it but I think you shouldn't. We've seen many a paint job ruin an excellent sculpture (Theoden) so you probably don't want to risk it on this 1/1 limited edition.
:hat

ps. I really want to see your other commissioned work now. Is it a board member ?

CCT: No, it will not be painted in the traditional sense if you're speaking in relation to SSW items. I figure they're already doing that in the upcoming Aragorn/steed piece, so why not try something different. I cannot paint better than the painters SSW have employed, I am certain of that- as much flack as they've gotten, I'm actually quite appreciative of what we've gotten when you sit back and look at the entire line (And I definitely cannot sculpt better than Brigitte Wuest!) Even though it looks slightly grey in the photos, it is painted as a white marble piece so that in essence it is a 'statue of a statue', if that makes sense.

Gunner: This is approx 1/6 scale, and took me a long time to finish. Long story short, I started this second sculpture and basically had it all done except for the base, for the next few months I was pre-occupied with finishing a third sculpture- I did not come back and finish this until just recently. Actual sculpting time I would imagine to be a few weeks. Btw I did this in 1/6 to better practice for doing statues in that scale which is ultimately what I'm aiming for.

Rev: Thanks, it actually is painted as the marble effect was all done with paint on a base of white. The commissioned piece was for a boardmember, but I don't think they post here much anymore.

Thanks nemo and oxbeard, I will put this around the elessar statue somewhere!

It clearly looks bloody good. Were you not tempted to commission Rick to do a paint job on it?

Any new projects on the horizon?

Back