Aragorn at the Black Gates pictures!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: !

I finally realized what I think is so cartoony about this piece. Look at tomandshell's screen caps. Aragorn and the horse have totally muted colors in the film.

I think that RoboDad is absolutely correct that there was color correction involved in the post production stage, but it is really putting me off of this piece. It's not the action pose or the horse, I really like both of those a lot, but the color and Aragorn's likeness are so bad.

Look at the blown up picture of Aragorn's face on Sideshow's site to the left of the page when you order. It looks terrible!:puke Maybe Weta should hire Hulkfan or Mat Falls to do their face sculpts. Those guys have nailed the SW likenesses so far.:bow

I am very pleased with the 5000 edition size. I'm glad they have released the edition size on this one and Legolas/Gimli. Surprised they have already told us what the es is on the Mumak too.:clap

Geez.....I already didnt like the 'comic' look on Legolas/Gimli/Arod and now they've applied it to Aragorn aswell... I'm really disappointed. The colors look far too sharp and the pose is not to my liking. I'm gonna have to cancel this one. The face btw, doesnt look bad at all imho.

What is SideShow doing with the latest pieces? The colors look alot less 'real' then what they used to be. I dont want vibrant colors, I want them subdued and grubby....

What is SideShow doing with the latest pieces? The colors look alot less 'real' then what they used to be. I dont want vibrant colors, I want them subdued and grubby....

They'd look a lot less real if they used pink, yellow, aqua, etc. This looks dam real IMO. His likeness is a tad off and maybe the deal on the horse is a tad light but again they are painting the real thing so it may have bee a lot brighter. Remember the pics we've seen of the GTW costume it was much darker like the first statue than what was saw on screen. Subdued and grubby? You must have the record for most Helms Deep enviros :p

Well if you think I'm talking nonsense, take a look at these pictures:

First line of SideShow pieces:
i2230.jpg

Second line of SideShow pieces:
9331_image02.jpg

Latest line of SideShow pieces:
9344_image01.jpg

Now I'm sorry for ya but if you dont notice the huge coloration difference, then you are pretty blind! In the latest statues, the coloration just about hurts your eyes, thats how bright they are.

Good point B, Aragorn's colours are even brighter than Elven armour and thats supposed to be shiny so it should be hard to get brighter.Maybe they will darken them before production or maybe its just the photos?, who knows?.:dunno

Either way i'm getting it, I love the Horse/Rider series and think they have done an outstanding job on them all.:bow

shell
x
:toast :gimli

The photo looks a little overexposed to me. Even the black base looks bright. I think without the glare the piece will not be that bright. I am going to pull outfilm and see how he looks there.
He is a keeper for me. What could be better than Aragorn riding into battle.

Now I'm sorry for ya but if you dont notice the huge coloration difference, then you are pretty blind! In the latest statues, the coloration just about hurts your eyes, thats how bright they are.

Then I must be pretty freaking blind cause they aren't that bright! Hurts your eyes? Man, you must have to wear sun glasses in your home:lol The coloring isn't an issue for me it looks very real and you have to remember that these pics always are a tad off of what you see in the finished piece. You'll get a better idea next week.

Then I must be pretty freaking blind cause they aren't that bright! Hurts your eyes?

The best way to compare it, is when you look at the green in Theoden's skirt and then at the blue in the horse's cloak or the brown on the horse itself compared to the brown of the Ringwraith on Steed piece. These piece got a brighter paintjob. If thats to your liking, then ok. But I dont like it. It makes them look comical. I guess we'll have to wait and see some real life photo's from SDCC next week to see if it is really as bad as in these photo's or if there is indeed too much light shining on it.

I'm 110% happy with this. I daresay that Aragorns face and the colours will be adjusted as time goes on. I can't wait :rock :rock :rock

TC :bonk :eye :bonk

Thats cool. The blue may be a tad bright for some but the horse hasnt been living in Mordor it should be brighter.

Ah, people were expecting it to be reared up! But I thought people hated that because horses don't just rear up...well that was the excuse people were saying for Gandalfax.... ;)

The thing to expect with SSW is to never expect anything! Just wait....and be surprised.

And how the hell can people be saying the likeness is way off when we can't even see a close up of the face?? Wait until SDCC, and there you shall find your more detailed photos young jedis (never thought I'd say jedi in a sentence - damn ROTS for being so good), and perhaps in said photos you shall see that said pieces are not so much cartoony any more!

Ah, people were expecting it to be reared up! But I thought people hated that because horses don't just rear up...well that was the excuse people were saying for Gandalfax....

Yup ;)

This is just the artist proof piece. I wouldn't go getting all freaked out yet. Look at the artist proof pics of helms deep on the SS site and then look at the actual piece. I think SS cant be accused of painting anything to bright from evey piece I have seen so far. They probably still havent come off of the assembly line and therefore the choices of painting colors can be changed. When they start shipping and people post pics, then I will make my final judgement. Asside from that one blue color being a little bright I think this piece is great.

Jesse

And to be honest I prefer boring static statues. That's why I love RWOS. I'd rather have every character lined up together just stood there, to show the different characters, than have all kick ass statues. But Gandalfax, LegGimRod and Aragblackgate will look very nice together!

Look at the artist proof pics of helms deep on the SS site and then look at the actual piece.

That's a very good point, Jesse. Many pieces look vastly different from the SS pics on the site. The Helms Deep sculpt is fantastic, but the paint job is awful. I love the environments as much as anyone, but I sold this piece due to the paint job. I plan to get the Helms Deep giclee as a replacement.

And how the hell can people be saying the likeness is way off when we can't even see a close up of the face??

Huh? How is this not a close-up?

93446nk.jpg

That's the first image I saw of this piece, and Aragorn's horrible facial close-up is what has me really disliking this piece.

Amazing how people are already complaining about this piece. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE, it doesn't mean the finished product will look the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Weta releases pics of the prototypes just to see what reactions they get on them and then adjust based on input from the fans.

Ah,I forgot about that *close up*!
It's still not a good photo though. I'll wait for SDCC!

Amazing how people are already complaining about this piece. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE, it doesn't mean the finished product will look the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Weta releases pics of the prototypes just to see what reactions they get on them and then adjust based on input from the fans.

:lol Do you not realize how much of a contradiction your post is? You wonder why people complain, and then you say that Weta listens to complaints to make corrections!

Why do you think we're complaining? It's because we want a superior product, and we're hoping that Weta listens and makes the corrections.

I want to like this piece SO badly. I even listed it in my 4 "flagship" statues yesterday before pics were even released (the other 3 being Sauron, RWOS, and GOSF). As it stands now, this piece isn't even in my top 15-20, let alone my top 4.

I like my Strider statue and the likeness isn't good so this really doesn't bother me. Though, I don't think anyone should expect much changing on this piece to be honest that would delay it, and I doubt thats gonna happen the are probably going to ship him this year.

Back