Apple??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow Andy said:
Maybe I'll give Macs another whirl when the time comes to upgrade again. I'm willing to give Apple a fair shot at convincing me to convert. :)
youre gonna have to Andy. MS cant take 5yrs to develope every OS upgrade. Many are predicting a major increase in the market share in 07 for Macs.

.. but in the end I think the company who developes the best all-in-one system will be the winner in the future. Internet/PC/Gaming/Movies/Music/TV. Whoever developes the best first will win that battle.

Cool Andy, I hope you make the switch one day!

If I may address some of your points:

* Mac OS X has improved dramatically in both functionality and features since 10.0.
* It has several system-level technologies that are leveraged by third-party applications, such as Address Book, Spotlight indexing (the data version of iTunes' smart playlists), Automator scripting (eg Photoshop workflows) and Dashboard (eg in Leopard you'll be able to make a dynamically updating widget from a "clipping" of any web page)
* Lots of other cool hidden features like screen zooming, printing to PDF from any app, and dictionary lookup in any app.
* What the Mac lacks in quantity of software it more than makes up for in quality. As well as being a minority, we Mac users are a discerning bunch, so only the best-of-breed software tends to survive. And most Mac developers model their apps on Apple's, which has gotta be a plus.
* Most of the major software titles (MS Office, Adobe, Quark etc) were on the Mac first, and the Mac versions are generally still better.

This Mac-aganda piece ends...

ok, i have bad news.. i met with my VA counselor on thursday and i was denied the great new macbook that i have been wanting. soooo... im gonna take a step here and do my own kind of promotion. check out my myspace blog and let me know what you think.

I didn't think much op Apple stuff in de beginnen, but now since I have an Ipod I'm considering for Apple laptop:eek:

dunedain said:
I didn't think much op Apple stuff in de beginnen, but now since I have an Ipod I'm considering for Apple laptop:eek:
Great to see the ol' iPod "halo effect" in action. You won't be disappointed!

hey its what spreads the word of mouth. im hooked because it seems everyone at school has a Mac now. and everyone of them says they have never had a problem like they did when they had a PC

my wife is going to buy this for me! :chew

* 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
* 2GB memory
* 500GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

gallery-big-01.jpg

gallery-big-03.jpg

gallery-big-05.jpg

gallery-big-06.jpg

Welkome to the club :)

I've been using mac for 5 years now for video editing and graphic design. Even though i do not do those anymore, I will not go back to PC.

i've actually been using my work's oncall laptop (PowerBook G4) but i figure i might get something better for home use anyway. besides how can i say no if the wifey is offering to buy it for me. :D also, i'm getting this through my work's 25% employee discount + free shipping that makes it even sweeter!

It all depends on what apps and functions you want to run. If you're going to work with photos and graphics and pretty much anything multimedia design wise, Apple is phenominal and a fantastic system, and once you're used to it, the friendliest operating system around.

If you're into gaming and more office type softwares, you're better off with a PC, at least until Apple's next OS comes out which features the ability to run PC apps on it without buying $600 speciality software for your system.

If budget is concern, definitely go PC, there's just no such thing as a low-budget MAC, you're looking at like $1000 minimum for a MAC, especially one worth getting.

my primary uses for it will be

- digital pictures taken with my DSLR
- work access from home

i just love access from the shell since i do most of my job in a unix/linux environment. i recently found a tip how to follow focus with the mouse when running multiple terminals! too bad copy/paste isn't automatic like it is under linux. or maybe i just haven't found the secret incantation yet. anybody know by chance?

I use both and have leaned toward pc's more extensively due to bad experience with Apple's hardware. Motherboards and hard drives being the two major offenders. :eek:

I use both and have leaned toward pc's more extensively due to bad experience with Apple's hardware. Motherboards and hard drives being the two major offenders. :eek:

thats pretty rare.
Ive been on a Macs at home and work for over 15yrs and have only had a power supply go bad on me once.

I have both and they both have their pros and cons.
But I do laugh when some one says "security by obscurity":lol

Whatever you get, just make sure you get LOTS of RAM!

I've had a disappointing experience with the G3 ibook. I mean, it worked and everything, but because it was made back in 2002 or so, it wasn't fast enough to run OSX. :rolleyes:

But nowadays, Apple seems to have finally caught up to the PC world in speed, and if not surpassed them, especially when you factor in the whole experience. Should I reconsider the Mac? :eek:

I'll still keep my custom PC tower for gaming, which I seldom keep up with the latest trends anymore, anyway.

Back