Apple??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the Ipod Nano thing ended already?

Student pricing is great though---I'm able to buy a $3,500 piece of software for $168 for a year's license with my student discount.

Uh-oh, now you've done it - opened up the can of worms that is the Mac VS PC debate! I have worked extensively with both, and it really kind of just depends on what you want to use it for (learned on a DOS system, went through all the Windows versions, then started on Mac about 3 years ago). I don't play video games, thus I VASTLY prefer my Mac over my PC - mostly I just use Office applications, surf the web and use the iLife stuff. Macs are just so much more user-friendly and 'intuitive' for me - plus iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie and iDVD rock! Not to mention that it's SUCH a nice feeling to not have to worry about bugs and viruses (virusii?) - I had all the best virus protection on my PC and I still got crappy adware and bugs - nothing major, but such a pain to deal with, not to mention having to constantly keep on top of the latest security patches from Microsoft, one of which actually did some damage to XP and forced me to clear EVERYTHING and re-install. It did get better when I starting using Firefox for web surfing though... I DETEST Internet Explorer.

The annoying thing about picking up a new system is that the buttons are always switched (I think they do that just to play with our minds)! And also, when switching to a Mac, you have to remember that once you open a program, it is always open until you phyisically hit 'quit' - the 'x' doesn't close the program, only the current window. But the little black arrows in the dock clearly show you which programs are open, so it's easy to keep track. I also LOVE the 'hot corners' app on a Mac - you can set it so that every time you move your mouse into a specific corner of the screen it shows you every single window that is open on your desktop - this works way better for me than on a PC, where they are all lined up in a row of text the bottom, as I am more visual and can choose the window I want faster when I can SEE them. It's funny when I'm on a PC I always try to do the hot corners and I'm like "WHY can't I SEE them??" :lol

Anyway, you will love love love it! It's definitely worth the extra money IMO. I wouldn't trade my PowerBook for anything.

I wish I could get a Mac though, for my graphics work I'll eventually learn it (actually I'm using it right now in my Photoshop class) but my 3D application is only on PC so I can't really switch over.

And I completely agree over Firefox---It's the best!!

Each OS has their strengths but I must say that Mac is so much more reliable--and to quote something I heard from someone else "The programs actually close when you try to close them!"

What's really cool thought is that we'll be able to now have Windows and Mac installed on the same machine so it's easy to switch over OS's by just rebooting. Which'll make my life easier.

darthviper107 said:
What's really cool thought is that we'll be able to now have Windows and Mac installed on the same machine so it's easy to switch over OS's by just rebooting. Which'll make my life easier.

yes sir!!! i bought XP (from always having to reinstall it) and totally plan on trying it out on the Mac. the widgets are really cool IMO, i have them on my PC and they dont seem as integrated as the Macs are. i guess i'll have to give Vista a shot when the time comes.

I'm on a PC and I use a Mac for work.

Macs are better than PCs in absolutely every way -- except for games. Games aren't ported over well to Macs, they cost more and they are so many fewer of them that it's not even funny.

And up until recently the Internets weren't configured for Macs either (with like only one on-line poker site for Macs). But now the Internets have caught up to Macs and now it's just the game playing thing.

Though I will add, that if/once Macs start to number up there with PCs, the virus makers will attack Macs as well. It's my understanding that there is no fool-proof protection againt the viruses. If someone wants to f' with your machine, they can. But the virus culture is money driven and the law of averages tells them to focus on PCs.

You just can't go wrong with a Mac. I've been a Mac owner for over two years now, and I've never looked back. I can't really add to what everyone else has already said, but I will say that I love having the package tracker on my Dashboard. It gets used... a lot.

alright i emailed my advisor and thursday is the day i find out if they will pay for it or not. if not then i think i'll take out a student loan to get a fully loaded Poerbook. i have yet ventured into the student loan territory (thanks for the GI Bill!!) so i dont think taking one out to buy a nice computer will hurt me too much down the road.

Gruff Old Bear said:
The matter of the Mac's freedom from viruses is, as has been pointed out, subject to the psychological obsessions of those malignant souls with nothing better to do than cause trouble for strangers. The Mac's smaller market share makes it less of an attention-getting stage for them. Apple's success with the iTunes Store and iPod could trigger their psychosis any day.
exactly.
Security Through Obscurity is for the most part a realitstic term used by many. Nobodys going to spend hours writing a virus that only affects 5% os the computer market.

I quit doing the Mac/Pc arguement years ago. But I'll never use anything other than a Mac as far as Im concerned right now.
Maybe Im swayed by the fact Ive been making living doing graphics on a Mac for almost 15yrs now.

but, its only a Macs for me.

Our new IT guy at work was amazed when I told him Ive only had maybe 1 freeze-up all year. And we do large format graphics, so files over a GB are an everyday thing.

One thing I just love about Macs is how if you accidentally click outside of the window you have open, it completely disappears from view. I don't know how many times that has happened and I have been left asking what happened to my internet browser or word processor.

My parents belong to the Cult of the Mac, but I am yet to be convinced. For example, I ask how to print on her computer, and she says, "Just hit APPLE+P. It's so much easier on a Mac!!" And I think to myself, "Sounds suspiciously like CTRL+P on a PC, but it's admittedly more fun to say."

tomandshell said:
One thing I just love about Macs is how if you accidentally click outside of the window you have open, it completely disappears from view. I don't know how many times that has happened and I have been left asking what happened to my internet browser or word processor.

My parents belong to the Cult of the Mac, but I am yet to be convinced. For example, I ask how to print on her computer, and she says, "Just hit APPLE+P. It's so much easier on a Mac!!" And I think to myself, "Sounds suspiciously like CTRL+P on a PC, but it's admittedly more fun to say."

that's what you get for getting a freaky MAC. :rotfl :rotfl PCs may suck, but at least I know how to work everything on a PC. MACs are confusing for me. there's no windows key and there's no right click on the mouse...*&^% that.

tomandshell said:

your window should only disappear from view when you click outside if whatever you clicked on under it has windows open to cover it up.
If you have a big finder window open and you accidentally click out of your window down to your desktop, you just changed apps to the finder, making the finder's windows active and on top.

The "closing the window shuts down the application" thing on a PC would drive me nuts. When working, closing a window doesnt necessarily mean Im finished with the application.

and yes, the Command(Apple) button does the same as the Control on a PC.

tomandshell said:
Yes, I do an awful lot of right clicking, and I don't think I could get that out of my system.
if theres one thing ive never understood about Macs, is why theyve clung on to the single button mouse and only recently come out with a 2button one. Im not sure Ive ever used the mouse that comes with my macs. Use an 8-button logitech at home and at work. Every button prgrammed with a shortcut.

but all in all to each their own.
Personally I wish the Mac community would stay kinda small and under the radar. Dread the day of worrying about Mac Viruses.

"Security through obscurity" is a myth. Mac OS X is built from the ground up to be more secure. Any application needs user permission to install. If it was dependent on market share you'd expect Macs to have 5% of viruses, but they actually have 0%.

Macs are just prettier to look at, plain and simple. :)

I had to buy a new computer a few months ago, and was VERY close to making the switch to Mac land... But at the last minute I decided to shop around to see what kind of PC the same $2,000 would buy me, and sure enough I was able to buy a PC with substantially more power, speed, capacity, and various other features than the Mac equivalent. Of course my computer is a shiny silver color instead of that cute little transparent-white iMac, but it's a small price to pay.

I'm currently on an HP and I love it, I've used PC's for many years without any hiccups. We used both types at a place I used to work and both camps had just as many problems as the other. Neither system is perfect, it's all a matter of preference. But Macs are prettier, and all the cool kids have 'em.

;)

p.s. The only benefit of owning a Mac over a PC that I've actually seen evidence to support, is the whole 'virus' issue. However, you could load up a PC with all the top-of-the-line virus protection until your computer was less vulnerable than the Pentagon and you'd STILL save hundreds of dollars by going with a PC.

Last edited:
Sideshow Andy said:
I was able to buy a PC with substantially more power, speed, capacity, and various other features than the Mac equivalent.
but dont forget a Mac's Processor speed rating is on a diff level than a PC's. I havent check in quite some time, but back in the day 1GHz Macs were out performing 2GHz PCs in benchmark tests.
EDIT: now that theyre on Intel chips, im not sure if what I stated above applies anymore. but prior to this year its always been like that.

and the cost isnt as far off as usually portrayed
pj-mac-pc-1.gif

can't argue with the game point. Theyre always like 2yrs behind.
But then again Id never play a serious vid game on my comp. I want to be in front of a giant TV. But thats me.

I'm not sure where that graphic above came from, but I did a LOT of shopping around and never came close to finding comparable systems that close in price. That source is either very exaggerated or published by someone who owns a lot of stock in Apple. :)

Even if it is accurate, it still projects an average savings of almost 25% for a PC over a Mac. When you're spending thousands of dollars on a system that can be a pretty big difference.

Andy Andy Andy, you've gotta stop thinking like a PC person! It's not just about specs and prices, it's the user experience. And after a few days of using a Mac, I guarantee you'll "get it"!

That's assuming you haven't used one since OS 9? Trust me, virus immunity isn't the only advantage.

And with the new Intel Macs, isn't it worth paying a little extra to get two platforms in one? You could've wet your feet in OS X while keeping your Windows security blanket.

(I'm still not convinced of the price differential either - the new Mac Pro is reportedly cheaper than a similarly configured Dell)

What made you come so close to getting a Mac anyway?

Oh I've used Macs quite a bit. I worked on one a few years ago at my old job, it was right after OS 10 came out. Don't get me wrong, I love Macs... I just don't think they're worth the extra money is all. My 'user experience' on PC's over the past several years has been just as positive as it was when I worked on a Mac, it just cost me a LOT less. :)

I didn't have a particular reason for almost getting a Mac last time. I do like them quite a bit, and had planned to dive into video editing, etc... If graphics and video editing were my profession, I probably would have gone with Mac. But I just don't use those kinds of programs frequently enough to justify spending that much more money on a system that can handle those apps *slightly* better than a comparable PC.

Maybe I'll give Macs another whirl when the time comes to upgrade again. I'm willing to give Apple a fair shot at convincing me. :)

edit: Just to clarify, the only thing that has kept me on the PC side of the fence over the years is the price. It's been a few months since I've done the homework, but if Macs really have become that close in price (and even lower) to the PC alternatives then consider me converted (as long as the PC alternative isn't a Dell ;) ). I'm not a gamer, so that issue doesn't bother me. I do love the right-click feature on PC's though, I can't stand Apple mouses. And there is a helluva lot more software and support out there for PC's (freeware, fonts, etc). But those are minor points I realize.

Last edited:
Back