Apple??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
anyone here a apple user?? im tired of my PC's getting infected all the time. i spent a good two hours today at the local apple store and decided to buy a macbook come the first of the month when i get my financial aid. right now i built one of the new black macbook with 2gb of ram and 100gb hard drive, office for Macs and after my student discount its only about $1800. what do you guys think?? any recommendations for people crossing over?? after that im probably gonna get their airport express and the wireless mouse they have now.

Make the switch, MACs are just better! And now with macbooks, you can have windows installed if that's what you're used to. But all around you won't be getting any virus pop-ups you always get on PC's. Buy the extended Apple Care, it may cost $150 but it's good for an extra 2 years, if ANYTHING happens to it while you're under Apple Care, it's covered.

I've been on Macs forever, and absolutely love them. I use PC's at school and they just seem so frustrating compared to Macs. I can't think of anything you aughta know, sounds like you've got it all figured out. If you have any particular question, feel free to ask I might be able to help you out.

thanks guys, yeah i've been playing around on the apple website for a couple weeks now and wrote down everything i had questions about. the people at the apple store are really helpful too. im just a little frustrated that its gonna cost a little more than a regular laptop would cost. either way im really excited because it looks really sweet and the Tiger OS seems really cool. im glad there is a store within 30 mins. of me. i'm also gonna spend $100 to get the ProCare so i can have them give me some 1on1 time with an expert.

I just switched about 9 months ago and will never be without an apple in my house ever again. ILife is better than anything that will come installed on any other system. I bought a referb 20" G5 IMac with applecare and I'm glad I did. I called two days ago and they're sending me a new dvd drive. I laugh when I hear my friends talk about spyware and whatnot.

Rocktonix said:
I laugh when I hear my friends talk about spyware and whatnot.

yeah so did i when the apple guy explained how the apple's dont have the problem. especially when he showed me Safari and how you can enable ghost browsing or something like that. thats pretty much what sold me...once i found that they have Office for mac i was 100% since i plan on using it for school and work.

Been on Macs since '87 and would never use anything else. Though I don't think I'll ever appreciate them as much as PC users who finally discover what they've been missing.

It's great when they discover the hidden tricks in the Mac OS (eg built-in dictionary lookup, printing to PDF in any application, screen zooming etc).

I've used both extensively and PCs are the only way to go. If you have protection there's no problem with viruses.

i'm a powerbook G4 user. I'm always on the go so powerbook laptop is a must for me. Also, I use it extensively for my film projects and what not. I have never had a virus or had to reboot or wait a long time for my computer to start up. Great pick Mark. U will not regret it at all.

macs.jpg

By Ctrl Alt Del - great comic.

LordAzrael said:
macs.jpg

By Ctrl Alt Del - great comic.

lol.. thats so funny. i have all kinds of virus protection, but last month i downloaded a stargate atlantis episode, scanned it, and still got some crazy virus that i couldnt get off my computer no matter what i did. so after two weeks of updating all 3 virus protection and registry scans that i have i eventually had to reformat my C drive. im still gonna keep my gaming rig desktop, but for my laptop "workhorse" its time for something new.

I really dont know crap about computers, so I dont get all the non-virus Mac talk. Do they have superior defence or what?!?! Can someone please explain. I am getting a new computer in December and would like a little advise, before I do.

For me it's Mac al the way! Since the late 80ties! Make the switch! As for viruses, never had any problems. People say, that there are so little Mac users, that it is not a profitable target for the bad virus breading community. Don't know if it's true though.

King Darkness said:
I really dont know crap about computers, so I dont get all the non-virus Mac talk. Do they have superior defence or what?!?! Can someone please explain. I am getting a new computer in December and would like a little advise, before I do.

A virus is simply a program. PC programs don't run on Macs. Therefore - virus's written to attack PC's just don't work on Macs. Got nothing to do with better virus protection. As funny as the cartoon I posted is - its basically true.

they explained it to me. bascially viruses find a way to install themselves on PCs if they can get around the protection that's being used. apple's OS is setup to only allow programs to install if you choose them to. which is good because most people dont know how to setup the advanced settings for the ports (me included) so they are left opened.

I made the switch to the Mac platform a number of years ago when it was the only way left to upgrade my machine. I'd begun on a DOS-only 286, graduated to a 486 and a Pentium and to Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98, and I'd built my last PC from components. My daughter still uses (and prefers) that machine, which I upgrade for her once a year. I've replaced processor and motherboard many times. She's using Windows XP Home, and though I haven't kept up my Windows under-the-hood smarts, I've got a pretty good sense of the difference for a user.

I will never go back to a PC, even though the Windows platform is keeping up nicely with the Mac's functionality and all the heavy-duty graphic apps (starting with Photoshop) now have excellent Windows versions. I know of only one Mac application that seriously trails its Windows sibling, but it may be an important one to you: it's Quicken.

The matter of the Mac's freedom from viruses is, as has been pointed out, subject to the psychological obsessions of those malignant souls with nothing better to do than cause trouble for strangers. The Mac's smaller market share makes it less of an attention-getting stage for them. Apple's success with the iTunes Store and iPod could trigger their psychosis any day.

But as I was setting up my daughter's PC in her college apartment last week, it froze and refused to start Windows for a while. After a few puzzled moments, I got it to reboot correctly, but what struck me was my daughter's blase response. To her, computers freeze every now and then. After several years using Mac OS 8, 9, and now X, I just shake my head in disbelief.

Once a user becomes accustomed to an interface, they tend to defend it vigorously and to denounce the other platform -- which ought to tell you they don't call it an interface for nothing. You do become engaged with it. But functionally the interfaces are so similar it's a snap to switch from one to the other and you'll wonder what all the disagreement is over; about all you have to remember is that the buttons at the top of any window are reversed, and when you close a Windows window you also close the program, freeing up RAM. When you close a window in OS X, that's all you've done -- the application is still residing in memory.

Aesthetically, it's another story for me. I find Apple's designers to be among the best in any industry, and looking at the Apple interface is pleasurable for me to the same degree that using utilities to tinker with Windows used to be. The difference is that now I don't spend time working on the computer's own software to make it run better (which provided a very satisfying feeling); I spend it getting things done.

New Macs are equipped with Boot Camp, which will allow you to run your Windows applications when you need to. Boot Camp must be looking good; Microsoft has dropped Virtual PC, the heretofore Windows-emulation app of choice. I used Virtual PC when I made the switch. You just get Mac versions whenever you would normally upgrade, so you don't have to run out and buy all new apps at once.

You'll find an amazing shareware and freeware community online. And though there are many more PC applications available, you'll be able to find everything you need.

Take advantage of educational rates for software while you're a student, particularly with programs that allow you to upgrade later (some don't).

I think you'll just feel better and better about having made the switch. And the best part is, those smug Apple users won't bug you any more, because you'll know what they're all grinning about...

Oh, one last thing: when my wife's work was burglarized a few years ago and some laptops were stolen, a laptop was fenced through a pawnshop in another state and the buyer tried to register it. Apple Customer Care notified the police. Pretty good customer service.

Macs are really nice and stable, I think there is like 1 virus ever made for a Mac and it's easily avoidable.

But seriously, you don't get viruses if you are careful, I haven't gotten any viruses in I don't know how long just because I'm careful. The real threat is Adware and Spyware, you can get those anywhere, not just from bad sites, but sometimes regular sites also. One problem I have with Macs is the price, for much less (probably half what it costs for a mac) I can get the same thing in a PC and have a cooler looking case, and be able to use any piece of software. So it's more advantageous to use a PC for me.

The only downside to PC is the issues with the OS. Although some of those will be fixed with Windows Vista--which by the way is very cool, I just got it installed on my second hard drive and I must say it is a pretty good OS. I do have some issues though, like the regular Windows Security stuff, it is the same function that was in the Windows XP SP2 that asks you questions to allow programs to run which is extremely annoying, and then plagues you when you disable the program ("Security has been disabled, your computer may be at risk"/not) But unfortunately I can't disable it here in Vista, so every time I install a program it asks me if I really want to install the program, and then it has a message every time I load windows telling me programs have been disabled in startup but doesn't allow me to enable them. And sometimes it freezes when using 3ds Max. But beyond that, it runs very well, there are some great new features, the look of the OS is very nice. I've only had a few program issues, just with some older programs that can't install because of the new file structure (documents and settings is now called Users) and some other changes. But most of my programs do work fine. There is actually a speed increase--very small, like 1%, but it's nice to know it runs faster than XP.

thanks for the feedback guys. im not jumping ship or anythying because im still keeping my desktop. but for me the macbook seems like the right thing to do and i can have the best of both worlds. right now is the time to buy too... students get the discout, there is a rebate for a free HP printer, students get an ipod nano for free with purchase of any apple computer, and im getting it all reimbursed from my Vocational Rehabilitation. only thing is i have to pay for all the extra software and stuff which to me is no big deal.

go for it. You wouldn't be dissapointed. ...ahh, I must add. There's not a lot of games available for Macs and if so, they are expensive.

Back