Anyone know a good auto accident Defense Attorney?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's horse____.

It is but blame the lawmakers that allow splitting lanes OK. One of them got hit by an AMBULANCE of all things in traffic on the Bay Bridge. He got a settlement. :slap I told him it was his fault. What do you do, worlds turning into BS.

To the thread starter, are you facing any criminal charges? If you are simply facing a possible civil action by the motorcyclist (and no criminal charges), the best thing you can do is go speak to your insurer and find out if the accident comes within your liability insurance cover. If it does, then the insurer will probably exercise it's right of subrogation and defend against the civil proceedings/negotiate a settlement on your behalf.

So go talk to your insurer. If you haven't got an insurer than u will need to see a solicitor.

It is but blame the lawmakers that allow splitting lanes OK. One of them got hit by an AMBULANCE of all things in traffic on the Bay Bridge. He got a settlement. :slap I told him it was his fault. What do you do, worlds turning into BS.

Actually it is just the USA...you guys got a pretty litigious civil law culture.

Funny how the original poster asks for help, then disappears when ppl ask questions to help him. Heres the bottom line: if you dont have insurance, youre probably not worth suing. it's called being judgment proof. It would costs more to sue you than what the plaintiff would get out of you.

For example, if you make $50k a yr and have a mortgage and maybe $400 in a savings acct., you are judgment proof. No pl atty will spend $20k in time and an expert or two to get an award they can never collect on. But if you have insurance theres at least some pot of money to go after.

Thats why the insurance company hires an atty for you- to protect their interests (the policy limits) in a lawsuit.

This is only dealing with the civil side of the equation. Criminal is a different issue, but there was no mention of that and you usually have to do more than just accidentally hit someone to get the attention of the DA.

a lot of assumptions but theyre the most common things found in these situations.

If it was me I wouldnt seek out legal advice on a toy forum to begin with. :rotfl

Funny how the original poster asks for help, then disappears when ppl ask questions to help him. Heres the bottom line: if you dont have insurance, youre probably not worth suing. it's called being judgment proof. It would costs more to sue you than what the plaintiff would get out of you.

For example, if you make $50k a yr and have a mortgage and maybe $400 in a savings acct., you are judgment proof. No pl atty will spend $20k in time and an expert or two to get an award they can never collect on. But if you have insurance theres at least some pot of money to go after.

Thats why the insurance company hires an atty for you- to protect their interests (the policy limits) in a lawsuit.

This is only dealing with the civil side of the equation. Criminal is a different issue, but there was no mention of that and you usually have to do more than just accidentally hit someone to get the attention of the DA.

a lot of assumptions but theyre the most common things found in these situations.

I'm insured for the california minium 15,000. I was found to be at fault as I didn't see the motorcyclist. The motorcyclist sustained 100,000 in damages and is sueing for 1.1 million. I just need an attorney to help me negotiate a settlement that is a lot lower as I don't have 1 million, let alone 100,000 lieing around in my savings. Just hoping if anyone knows a friend or relative that can recommend an attorney in the LA area who can help. No worries if you don't. Never hurts to try though...even if it's on a toy forum. Desperate times cause for desperate measures, that's why I'm here guys. :wink1: So if anyone of you guys know of a relative or a friend who has experience with tort law or bodily injury defense please let me know.

Last edited:

If your coverage is the bare minimum, and the plaintiff is asking for a huge some of money, the attorneys they assign you may not have any incentive to do their best to help negotiate a settlement for you that is in your best interest. However, if your coverage is high, say in the 300,000 territory, then the attorneys will have an incentive to fight tooth and nail for you because there's a lot of money that the insurance company stands to lose. As it stands, since my policy limit is so low, I don't trust that their attorneys will really fight for me, which is why I'm looking for one now.

To the thread starter, are you facing any criminal charges? If you are simply facing a possible civil action by the motorcyclist (and no criminal charges), the best thing you can do is go speak to your insurer and find out if the accident comes within your liability insurance cover. If it does, then the insurer will probably exercise it's right of subrogation and defend against the civil proceedings/negotiate a settlement on your behalf.

So go talk to your insurer. If you haven't got an insurer than u will need to see a solicitor.

Actually it is just the USA...you guys got a pretty litigious civil law culture.
thanks willocrew. You are right, they must defend me as it is their ethical obligation as a member of this insurance company; however, for 15,000 I don't think they'll really try that hard to defend me. From a business standpoint, they'd much rather give up the 15,000 and then spend the least amount of lawyer fees in helping me to negotiate an affordable settlement. I'm with progressive and they have the reputation of being the worst at protecting their clients who are under insured.

I'm insured for the california minium 15,000. I was found to be at fault as I didn't see the motorcyclist. The motorcyclist sustained 100,000 in damages and is sueing for 1.1 million. I just need an attorney to help me negotiate a settlement that is a lot lower as I don't have 1 million, let alone 100,000 lieing around in my savings. Just hoping if anyone knows a friend or relative that can recommend an attorney in the LA area who can help. No worries if you don't. Never hurts to try though...even if it's on a toy forum. Desperate times cause for desperate measures, that's why I'm here guys. :wink1: So if anyone of you guys know of a relative or a friend who has experience with tort law or bodily injury defense please let me know.

start selling your dolls brah. :lol

thanks willocrew. You are right, they must defend me as it is their ethical obligation as a member of this insurance company; however, for 15,000 I don't think they'll really try that hard to defend me. From a business standpoint, they'd much rather give up the 15,000 and then spend the least amount of lawyer fees in helping me to negotiate an affordable settlement. I'm with progressive and they have the reputation of being the worst at protecting their clients who are under insured.

Well you will still need to get your lawyer to chat with the insurer. This is because insurer's usually have a right of subrogation in the insurance clause (I.e. a clause that says that if the insurer agrees to indemnify you against a liability to a 3rd party, the insurer has the right to step into your shoes and engage in proceedings with the other party).

My advice to you would be to go for the best legal representation you can afford. Do not try to cut costs. Being stingy at this point is a big mistake because things will get expensive and you really want someone who can get things sorted out fast. Legal incompetence will cost you more in the end.

You could try going to one of the community legal centers and speak to the volunteer solicitors and ask if they know of any good firms that deal with personal injury cases. No harm asking.

You would want to engage a firm that specializes in personal injury claims rather than going to one that does a little bit of everything from family law to trademarks. Cuz these folks are so familiar with personal injury stuff they can get things done efficiently.

Last edited:
Well you will still need to get your lawyer to chat with the insurer. This is because insurer's usually have a right of subrogation in the insurance clause (I.e. a clause that says that if the insurer agrees to indemnify you against a liability to a 3rd party, the insurer has the right to step into your shoes and engage in proceedings with the other party).

My advice to you would be to go for the best legal representation you can afford. Do not try to cut costs. Being stingy at this point is a big mistake because things will get expensive and you really want someone who can get things sorted out fast. Legal incompetence will cost you more in the end.

You could try going to one of the community legal centers and speak to the volunteer solicitors and ask if they know of any good firms that deal with personal injury cases. No harm asking.

You would want to engage a firm that specializes in personal injury claims rather than going to one that does a little bit of everything from family law to trademarks. Cuz these folks are so familiar with personal injury stuff they can get things done efficiently.

Problem with that is that even if he wins, he winds up with a bill almost the same size as the amount in the suit. And if he loses, he's ____ed for considerably more cash. :monkey1

If you caused $100,000 in damages (unless he's on a custom chopper) I'm guessing the large majority of that is Dr. bills and if he wants 1.1 million, on top of the obvious greed, I'm guessing he's expecting a lot of future Dr. visits. So out of morbid curiosity how bad did you ____ this guy up?

If you caused $100,000 in damages (unless he's on a custom chopper) I'm guessing the large majority of that is Dr. bills and if he wants 1.1 million, on top of the obvious greed, I'm guessing he's expecting a lot of future Dr. visits. So out of morbid curiosity how bad did you ____ this guy up?

That's what I want to know. :yess:

one in 4 motorcycle accidents end in fatality. He is not paralyzed or anything like that, but it was still pretty serious. I think he is ok and back to work now.

Last edited:

Thanks willocrew. And for those of you making the smart, witty and sarcastic comments- you guys know who you are- I still wouldn't wish what I'm going through on any of you guys. Maybe it's all fun in games right now, but when life throws you a curve ball, I only hope and prey people don't kick you while you're down. And if they do, it doesn't mean you have to do the same thing to someone else and repeat the cycle- I know deep down you guys are better than that.

For all the judgmental folks out there who maybe wondering:
"Is he asking for attention?" nah. "For sympathy?" nope. "For a soapbox to stand on?" not really. I'm just asking for what this thread title reads.

If anyone knows of a good tort/personal injury defense attorney who specializes in auto/motorcycle accidents in LA please let me know. :peace

Thanks again willocrew

Last edited:
Back