Anyone else leaving the batteries in the arms?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoruptData

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the hobby and reading this forum, I saw some people voice concerns over leaving the batteries inside of the figures. At first it made sense, but then I started thinking of everything I have used batteries for over my life and I can only remember one thing that leaked and it was something shoved in a closet for years. These pieces are something I see everyday, they have a feature I payed for, I want to be able to show it off. So I'm leaving them in. Am I alone? Is it that big of a risk?

Take em out or wire them for AC power. These are very cheap batteries and they all leak no matter what eventually. The problem is you'll never know it until it starts leaching on the finish. Or you can periodically check them.

I also take the batteries out. I don't use the light up features very often.

I always take em out just for safety sake. I've had them leak before and its true all batteries either corrode or leak at some point.

I leave them in when they are displayed. If they go back in the back after changing a display, I take them out.

Im not using the light up arms at all but i never leave batteries in. If you do buy better batteries than what is supplied.

All batteries are removed from my figures. I never turn on any lights, aside from opening and playing with the features upon first arrival, better safe than sorry. These buggers are just to expensive to risk it.

Take them out. It makes lighting them more of an event... Which it is, because I seldom use the feature.

All batteries are removed from my figures. I never turn on any lights, aside from opening and playing with the features upon first arrival, better safe than sorry. These buggers are just to expensive to risk it.

I also take the batteries out. I don't use the light up features very often.

My sentiments as well. Too much of a risk just so I can show guests for all of 20 seconds that it lights up. I just simply tell them that it has the option to light up if I want it to.

I recently purchased a replacement Vader belt that arrived today and the batteries were already installed in the belt boxes for my convenience. I summarily took them out before putting the new belt on the figure.

Take em out or wire them for AC power. These are very cheap batteries and they all leak no matter what eventually. The problem is you'll never know it until it starts leaching on the finish. Or you can periodically check them.

What would be required to do this?

My Tony Stark Iron Man 3 figure has had it's batteries in it since 2014, and they still work fine. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to open up hot toys figures. They use smaller than average screws on their figures.

I figure I'll get a screwdriver eventually and take them out just to be safe though.

My Tony Stark Iron Man 3 figure has had it's batteries in it since 2014, and they still work fine. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to open up hot toys figures. They use smaller than average screws on their figures.

I figure I'll get a screwdriver eventually and take them out just to be safe though.

Eyeglass repair kits have everything you'll ever need. Cheap too.

I'm leaving mine in for now since I use the light up features. Long term I'm going to look into the Soap Studios stuff to see if it can work with these. I'd rather have a clean professional wired up system than batteries, but for now I mess with them often enough that I'd be able to catch any leaks before it did serious harm.

What would be required to do this?

A working knowledge of simple circuits. Teaching myself how to do this is on my 'to-do' list. From the little I understand about electronics it can't be difficult if you have the right tools and materials and take a little care.

On the leaking issue, I take a 'better safe than sorry' approach. It takes little effort to remove batteries, it takes a whole lot of effort to clean up the mess.

The only figure I still have batteries in is R2, the rest are taken out. I've had quite a few batteries leak after extended periods of non-use, and it doesn't take long for it to happen. I have a Darth Vader Force FX lightsaber that I put in storage for a summer. I forgot to take the batteries out, and one of them was leaking when I opened it backup 3 months later (these were fresh batteries before I put it in storage). I'm sure it has a lot to do with the quality of the batteries, and length of inactivity. These were cheap Meijer batteries. For collectibles I switched to the more expensive name brands.

I guarantee the batteries these figures come with are the absolute cheapest around, so it's a good idea to replace them right away whether you plan on keeping batteries in or not.

I leave in batteries as long as the figure is displayed if its a feature I'll actually turn on once and a while. Afterwards, I take them out. Right now both Vader & Kylo have batteries in their lightsaber arms (and Vader in the belt boxes as well) but otherwise everything else I have on display is battery-less. Though I am considering dropping them in my Wesker figures again... at least for a little while.

The small cell batteries that come with most if not all collectibles are simply crap. I still have a couple items having bigger cell batteries in them but I use Renata model which is also used for Rolex watches. Sometimes AA or AAA good batteries can leak too, and even some known brands Duracell, Energizer, GP Powerbank or Varta. So better be careful. That's why I most of the time prefer collectibles without light and sound powered by batteries.

Back