Anyone else disappointed that Sideshow seems to be moving away from soft goods on PFs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can certainly understand that, but I can buy sculpted statues from a variety of companies. SS's PF's were always pretty unique in their use of mixed media and I'm a fan of it. I hate to see them abandon it just to be like everyone else.

f764117adea4d88c6b62efa7253279a7.jpg

Compared to

Classic-Sabretooth-Premium-Format-Figure.jpg

Nope!

I still prefer the mixed media one.

For me the whole point of a statue is admiring the sculpted details of it. When you put an cloth outfit on the statue it covers it all up. IMO My custom fully sculpted Batman PF shows so much more details then the standard SS one with the cloth on it.

Plus Mix media can sometimes make the statue look more like a toy then a statue.

I never really understood this argument. Personally, I think both mediums have their purpose. For comic characters in skin-tight suits, I think they look best fully sculpted, with a little mixed media such as a fabric cape (good example of this is the new Ben Affleck Batman, or the Bale Batman PF). For other statues, especially movie based statues such as the new Heath Ledger Joker PF, mixed media is definitely the way to go to achieve realism. It would have looked really silly if they sculpted his coat rather than use a fabric one.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, but both have their uses and it depends on the statue.

I agree it comes down to utilising fabric or sculpted for the best result. Sabretooth for me was a terrible choice to go full fabric it looks like a onesie and loses all the detail. Same for the Batman (with bonus elbow armpit) and Supes PF's etc.
Yet take the Chronicle King Conan, that piece suffers in my eyes because it's fully sculpted and a fabric cloak and fur would of knocked it out of the park.

I agree it comes down to utilising fabric or sculpted for the best result. Sabretooth for me was a terrible choice to go full fabric it looks like a onesie and loses all the detail. Same for the Batman (with bonus elbow armpit) and Supes PF's etc.
Yet take the Chronicle King Conan, that piece suffers in my eyes because it's fully sculpted and a fabric cloak and fur would of knocked it out of the park.
Cloak and leather scabbard for the first red sonja made that statue pop imo. They were more accessory pieces rather than actual costume.
I guess the lesson is that sideshow chooses it's battles and needs to be cautious with which to sculpt and which to use fabric.

Green Lantern was mentioned previously as a costume that should be sculpted. I can see why. Thematically, it's a construct of the ring so, it's an easy argument. However the costume on the 1/6 scale figure is cloth and that one looks good to my eyes. I guess it just depends how they chose to execute it.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Back