Anyone Else Alone in the Collecting World?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjk1000000

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, it seems that I'm alone in this whole collecting thing. My mother and practically everyone else ridicule me for it. They say that I should spend my money on something more important, but I dont have anything more important other than gas. By the way, gas is the reason which I havent gotten anything new in the past two months. Just curious of if anyone else is going through this problem?

-CJK

Last edited:
Who doesn't hear this from a family member or friend? I get it all the time from mostly my mother and girlfriend. They tell me to save my money and how to manage it. I just flip something on them, like why do they spend so much money on clothes, etc...that usually shuts them up.

Actually my girlfriend is very supportive. It's kind of weird when I think about it. She even bought the Tumbler for me (pre-ordered) on my birthday. All the while she really has no interest in collecting herself. I think there's something wrong with her...In a good way...I think...or something.

My mom complains about it and rolls her eyes everytime a new box shows up on the doorstep but it doesn't bother me that much. It's funny to see some parents look at you while your searching for a figure. My gf wasn't supportive of it for a while but now she helps me out and when car has been down she would let me use her car to go.

It's what you enjoy doing. I collect 1/6 figures and various old horror comics while my wife "collects" that home interior/candles stuff. She used to collect beanie babies, and yea we have about 4 large tubs full of worthless beanie babies in the atic.

Who doesn't hear this from a family member or friend? I get it all the time from mostly my mother and girlfriend. They tell me to save my money and how to manage it. I just flip something on them, like why do they spend so much money on clothes, etc...that usually shuts them up.

ahh, yes, the "Mother probem".

"Why on earth would you want that."
"Not another one, I thought you were going to stop."
"You really need to stop wasting your money."

The only time you can spend money is if you happen to spend it on them, then thats OK.

Unfortunately I don't really have a flip option, she doesn't spend money on clothes, or very much at all really.

Basic upshot CJK1, no, your not alone.

My mom used to encourage me to put my money to better use, but she gave up. However when I do get something new she does ask me the one question that gives me the biggest problem..."where are you going to put that?" :lol

Both of my parents were collectors of different things throughout the years, so they really never gave me a hard time when I started. My dad actually really likes them and always wants to see pics of my latest purchase. My mom doesn't quite get it, but then she collected porcelain birds, so she probably wouldn't. :lol I'm also 37 so really, there isn't anything they can say to me at this point about how I spend my money since I don't ever ask them for help unlike my brother. In time they will realize that these things make you happy and will hopefully come to accept that and will actually be happy that you are happy. :)

When I show stuff to my father he always asks the same thing: So how much are you going to get on ebay for it.:D

My dad has a Medicom Jack Bauer figure on his book shelf and a McFarlane Bauer action figure on his desk. Every time I visit him (once a month or so) the Medicom Jack is in a different pose!

When I showed him the new Enterbay Bauer and Palmer sculpt, he went nuts. :D

It's great when your family understands how great it feels to collect stuff from things you love.

I would't say Im alone... but whenever I show somethin to my friends they usually say "why did you waste money on that?". I tell them im not wasting money. And i tell em to "shut the hell up" because they're not into this awesome hobby.
Collect for Life :rock

...since I don't ever ask them for help unlike my brother...

I gotta sister like that, I think that's one of the things that made my mom lay off me. She realized I'm waaay more fiscally responsible than my ne'er-do-well sister.

When I show stuff to my father he always asks the same thing: So how much are you going to get on ebay for it.:D

I made the mistake of justifying my collecting to my dad by saying how much I could get for some of my stuff, now he just asks me when I'm going to sell it.

Jeez families can be a pain, eh?

Thats why we have this site my friend,to share what we have in common right? :)
Besides,you make friends here easily because of this hobby...

No one i know of my closest support me on this,but they have gotten used to it so i dont hear it from them anymore.

My dad has a Medicom Jack Bauer figure on his book shelf and a McFarlane Bauer action figure on his desk. Every time I visit him (once a month or so) the Medicom Jack is in a different pose!

When I showed him the new Enterbay Bauer and Palmer sculpt, he went nuts. :D

It's great when your family understands how great it feels to collect stuff from things you love.

coolest dad on this earth...:lol

Back