Anyone Else Alone in the Collecting World?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom used to encourage me to put my money to better use, but she gave up. However when I do get something new she does ask me the one question that gives me the biggest problem..."where are you going to put that?" :lol

Thats the second question, the first is always, "how much did that cost".

I now have a standard reply, $3.50....

You are born alone, and you'll die alone. Why not collect figures to ease the lonliness. It's only for a short while, then you'll be dead. Everyone happy.

well my family doesnt care cuz i never talk to em. other people cant tell me to spend my money more wisely because i already have the big necessities in life. new car and house. those are the 2 things ive been saving for my whole life and i got em. not really interested in marriage or a family. i dont travel a lot so i spend my cash on collectibles.*shrugs* big deal. i know people who spend more on cigarettes in a month than i do on collectibles. i spend money on what makes me happy. right now action figures make me happy. maybe in the future i wont like em anymore. then i'll find another hobby that makes me happy i guess. dont let other people tell you how to live your life man. seriously. be your own man or woman.

CJK, I remember you saying something similar to, "I want to buy shelves to display my stuff, but I just end up buying more figures." Or something to that effect. If that is indeed the case, I would take a small break, get some shelves, display your best stuff, and then see what is said.

If all your friends/family can see is pretty looking boxes, they probably don't understand how great this stuff is. If it was on display, you could help show them your passion for it. Plus, it will help you see exactly what your display capabilities are, and to buy more than that just to keep in boxes in storage may be a bit silly. But trust me, I completely know where you are coming from.

I had some friends see all my SSW LOTR boxes against the wall and I was a little embarassed. I didn't have them on display so they couldn't see how great the detail was and how artistic the pieces were. I've since changed that and they are now on display. I'm somewhat looking forward to showing those pieces off now.

Edit:

A grown up adult(mentally) should know better than giving you ^^^^,they should know that whatever you spend money on,its worth it because its YOUR joy in life,not them.

You wouldnt criticise your buddy that got a new fancy car,same goes for him,he should respect your toy hobby,bottom line is,whatever it is you like...ITS YOUR JOY IN LIFE,no one should take that away from ya.

But yeah, agree with Rock83, no need to justify anything to anyone. As long as you are taking care of whatever responsiblities you have, you can do whatever the hell you want and anyone that doesn't like it, tell 'em to piss off.

Last edited:
A grown up adult(mentally) should know better than giving you ^^^^,they should know that whatever you spend money on,its worth it because its YOUR joy in life,not them.

You wouldnt criticise your buddy that got a new fancy car,same goes for him,he should respect your toy hobby,bottom line is,whatever it is you like...ITS YOUR JOY IN LIFE,no one should take that away from ya.

One here. Besides this forum. In my living world, there is no one I can talk to as long as my Star Wars interest is concern.:(

It's sad that people can't see past the 'dolly' aspect of this hobby. I think people see these figures and assume that I go home and play soldiers with them on the living room floor. What they fail to see is the level of detail that goes into these collectables.

At the end of the day if it's your money, and if you can still pay the bills/rent etc and then still have some spare to 'waste' then it's really nothing to do with anyone else.

My wife teases me about my 'dollies' sometimes, but I think she likes looking at them as well.:rolleyes:

Same here, my mom nag me about it, standard respond "If you have so much money lying around might as well give some to me." And half of whatever I earn on average goes to the household. I guess they would just rather me give her every single cent I earn.

My dad only ask me to hide any new purchase well so she won't notice.

My friend give me a hard time about this all the time. Each time he visits me and sees something new it will be the standard "Why are you spending all your money on this crap?"

He on the other hand spends thousands on sex trips all over Asia each month and that man has a gf for god sakes!!!, I pity the gf as she doesn't know. She is under the impression that it was just business trips.

At the end of the day, I look at collecting figure as collecting works of art. These stuff will retain their value and even go up in value over time and that will always be better than spending money on pros, drugs, cigs, or alcohol.

Well, it seems that I'm alone in this whole collecting thing. My mother and practically everyone else ridicule me for it. They say that I should spend my money on something more important...
Ask them if they prefer that you use that money to fuel a Drugs, Booze, Gambling and Prostitution habit...wait...those are all awesome things!! :rock :D

Seriously, do and buy what you like, who cares what anybody else thinks as long as you're happy. :)

My wife is supportive but one of her friends always thinks it's a funny hobby...until I point out that her dopey Loegenberger Baskets are no less silly.

well my family doesnt care cuz i never talk to em. other people cant tell me to spend my money more wisely because i already have the big necessities in life. new car and house. those are the 2 things ive been saving for my whole life and i got em. not really interested in marriage or a family. i dont travel a lot so i spend my cash on collectibles.*shrugs* big deal. i know people who spend more on cigarettes in a month than i do on collectibles. i spend money on what makes me happy. right now action figures make me happy. maybe in the future i wont like em anymore. then i'll find another hobby that makes me happy i guess. dont let other people tell you how to live your life man. seriously. be your own man or woman.

amen to that brother!!!!!! with you 100%!!!!

It is a social stigma. Silly rabbit toys are for kids :D

We all have different outlets that make us happy. Don't allow others to influence what you enjoy, life is too short. Enjoy, have fun and love often.........:peace

Yeah no one else I know collects...my work mates admire the accuracy of sculpts like the Enterbay 24 figures,or the new Joker,but I do it on my own.And I'd have it no other way.That's what this board is for.

I'm all alone too...but its cool, I'd rather have this for a hobby then cross dressing and getting someone to take photos of me while posing on top of a dumpster (a mate of mine does that) :dunno

Ask them if they prefer that you use that money to fuel a Drugs, Booze, Gambling and Prostitution habit...wait...those are all awesome things!! :rock :D

Seriously, do and buy what you like, who cares what anybody else thinks as long as you're happy. :)

but you do all them as well? :rotfl

Back