Anybody use MoviePass or Sinemia?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
​Anyone still holding the 30 movies a month passes, now you can't see the same movie twice. I don't look for them to be around much longer.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's always been. I signed up months ago, and was aware of the caveats, understanding that I could only see a movie once for free.

I'm starting to think that all of the bad press about MoviePass is being funded by the movie theatre chains or the studios trying to cut the legs out from under these guys.

AFAIK the 4 movies a month thing is for new subscribers. As of now original members can still see a movie a day. It will undoubtedly change though as it is non sustaining. From the start you couldn't see the same movie more than once. It will most likely end. Honestly it is a piss poor business plan.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's always been. I signed up months ago, and was aware of the caveats, understanding that I could only see a movie once for free.

I'm starting to think that all of the bad press about MoviePass is being funded by the movie theatre chains or the studios trying to cut the legs out from under these guys.
AMC doesn't like it and I don't understand why. They are getting the full price for the ticket. Movie pass is bringing people back to the theaters where they may buy concessions. That is where they make their money. Honestly the theaters should only charge movie pass half price or something to keep the program going.

According to people on Facebook, you could see a movie more than once, just not on the same day. They didn't warn anyone about the change, just changed their ToS.

MoviePass is now back to the way it was before, sans viewing movies more than once. I think a person would be hard pressed to find 30 movies to watch in a month that way.

Anyhow, I'd be nervous signing up for it right now anyway.

Apparently MoviePass is going to introduce a new "Bring a Friend" feature which as the name implies lets you bring another viewer. The price is going to remain the same.

I like having a MoviePass. It definitely gives me an opportunity to check out things I’m interested in, but would otherwise be too cheap to actually see. If anything, I think it’s probably helping theaters.:lol

​I don't see how it doesn't help the theaters. That's why I don't understand why some aren't embracing it. Like AMC.

Brings bodies into the theater and increase chances of concessions being purchased. Large drink and popcorn is prolly 98% profit for them.

Yea you would think the theaters would work with movie pass. Maybe give them discounted prices or something. It doesn't matter if the theater if full or empty. They are going to show the movie anyway. May as well try to get people in the theaters and hope they buy concessions.

The theater gets money either way, unless there's something i'm unaware of. As a matter of fact, movie pass should remove the one time per movie limit. Get the tickets subsidized by the theater or studios and not only do they increase concession sales, but increase the number of tickets sold for those films, making the movies at least appear to be an even bigger success, which would generate even more interest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MoviePass rocks. Seeing much more movies now days. We have 4 total passes for the family. Totally worth it, go at least once a week now.

Hope they stay around and figure out a way to make money. Their stock fell from $25 to .32 a share. Sucks

The theater gets money either way, unless there's something i'm unaware of. As a matter of fact, movie pass should remove the one time per movie limit. Get the tickets subsidized by the theater or studios and not only do they increase concession sales, but increase the number of tickets sold for those films, making the movies at least appear to be an even bigger success, which would generate even more interest.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would assume it works the same way as medical insurance does - there's an agreement to a cap on billing prices. For instance, my recent office visit would have costed me $157 but my insurance covered the cost at a cap adjustment of $102.19. It seems that MoviePass would currently have a similar agreement of reducing the charged ticket amounts in exchange for more bodies in seats to increase concession sales, no?

MoviePass rocks. Seeing much more movies now days. We have 4 total passes for the family. Totally worth it, go at least once a week now.

Hope they stay around and figure out a way to make money. Their stock fell from $25 to .32 a share. Sucks

How do you make it work with a minor? I was reading you need a phone for each person... but with a 7 year old that's not something we want her to have or need :lol Although it seems like even if we have 2 passes, paying for one ticket is not so bad either.

How do you make it work with a minor? I was reading you need a phone for each person... but with a 7 year old that's not something we want her to have or need :lol Although it seems like even if we have 2 passes, paying for one ticket is not so bad either.

​MoviePass is coming out with a family plan soon. Also, add ons for IMAX and 3D.

Edit:

I found this on my Facebook page:

MoviePass

· 3 hrs ·

A Message To Our Members:
The revolution is happening now, and it is all thanks to you. In less than a year, three million pioneers joined us on our journey to see more great movies at an unbeatable price. And we want to thank you, our community, for your steadfast support of our company and growth.
In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing.
... In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.
Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!
Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.
Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.
These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.
Our aim is to create the most flexible and cost-efficient product, so that we don’t have to simply raise the price on the subscription. We appreciate your flexibility as we evolve our service to keep MoviePass at a low cost. We can’t express how much we value all of you for being part of that vision.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
The MoviePass Team

Last edited:
I didn't mind too much in regards to them cutting the unlimited movie plan down to three movies a month as it's still a good deal but I'm thinking about cancelling MoviePass - the movie schedule sucks. Trying to schedule your day to see your preferred movie doesn't seem viable for the consumer. Having said that, Crazy Rich Asians is on the schedule today yet the MoviePass app doesn't have the movie listed at my theater - just Alpha 3D, Pandas 3D and The Meg 3D with the message, "This premium screening is not supported."

Anyone else thinking about axing the subscription?

Back