Anybody see the MAce QTVR?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiftlikessharpthings

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looks awesome. Could be my fav figure based on the pictures alone.
Of course I'm hoping these are all of stellar quality-- so far I don't think there's a 'Faith' to be had with this line...

I'd have to agree.... Mace looks phenomenal in the turnaround. The sculpt, despite all the photshopping and complaints, is one of the best in the line.

It'll be a gem once it's displayed on the shelf, and NO ONE will complain then. Outstanding sculpt IMO, and some of the best costuming for the line... It's nice to get a better look at it, so that we may really begin to appreciate it's greatness. :D

I think Mace Windu has the worst likeness so far. Aside from the figure being a bald,black guy,I don't see Samuel L Jackson at all in the likeness and I'm glad I passed on this one.

bcm77 said:
and I'm glad I passed on this one.

You say that untill he is shipping and everyone is posting pics of them and how kewl he is and you'll be sitting their kicking youself and paying 75 bucks off ebay to catch up. :chew

I definitely didnt pass on it, but right now, he doesnt look like the actor. Has SS done any African American likenesses that actually LOOK like the actor? Ive only really seen the Jinx or Linx or whoever Halle Berry was, and that one was "like" her, but then again it wasn't. I know they dont get every one spot on, but skin tone plays a big part, and that is what I thought was really wrong with the Jinx. Could be the same with Mace.

Lets see... Here is a pic of SLJ as Mace:
newmace.jpg

Cute.
He doesnt look like him. Skin tone too dark and it's just off. My opinion. No need to be all over me about it. I just believe that most toy/collectible sculptors have not captured the subtleties of the African American portrait. That's all Im saying. I believe Mace suffers this same fate. I hope the production piece is better.
Plus his arms are too long!:monkey5

DCFett said:
Cute.
He doesnt look like him. Skin tone too dark and it's just off. My opinion. No need to be all over me about it. I just believe that most toy/collectible sculptors have not captured the subtleties of the African American portrait. That's all Im saying. I believe Mace suffers this same fate. I hope the production piece is better.
Plus his arms are too long!:monkey5

Interesting. Exactly what subtleties would those be? (I really am interested by the way, not jumping down your throat or anything ;) ) The first time I saw Dave Myatt's shots from Toy Fair I thought: "Man, those could be photos of SLJ if I didn't know better."

If they missed the subtleties, they definately hit the broad strokes. Looks good to me.

pixletwin said:
Interesting. Exactly what subtleties would those be? (I really am interested by the way, not jumping down your throat or anything ;) ) The first time I saw Dave Myatt's shots from Toy Fair I thought: "Man, those could be photos of SLJ if I didn't know better."

Looking at your side/by/side photos (thank you) the sculpt seems to be very very good to me. But I think there is something about the brow and the eyes that seem off. Sort of what everyone was complaining about the Han, which I think is spot on, go figure. But that's not what I mean by "subtleties".
I think what is really missing is the different color tones in black skin. If you look at your photo carefully, you'll see that in SLJ's brow and around his eyes and nose and lips, there are a myriad of different "hues" of color, not just one like the 12" figure depicts. SS does a great job at hitting the major color differences in the white skin of most of thier pieces, but I havent seen the same level of detail and care taken with the AA pieces. It just looks like a modified Hasbro, one layer spray-on face color. That's why I say "Generica Bald Black Man" b/c it does look generic to me. I understand they have to limit paint ops for cost reasons, but I just dont even think the overall color is right?

Darth Rage said:
If they missed the subtleties, they definately hit the broad strokes. Looks good to me.

Well, I think with the Luke, they hit the broad strokes, but there was just that little je ne sais pas identified him as Mark Hamill and not "middle aged white guy Luke", like what you get with Hasbro. The Mace figure needs that subtle particular that will make it SMJ. Right now, it's not. IMHO

I sort of look at it like the way CustomMikey does the Hasbro stuff; when you see it and all the little color variation changes he makes to the Hasbro sculpts, it makes you go WOW, I never knew all that could be brought out of the portrait with subtle paint changes!

DC, when you get your Mace are you going to do a custom paint job on it? If you are you should post pics. Then people can see what you mean better. :D

Back