Ant-Man: The Movie is official!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you also seen BvS? Tell me more about 2016. :D
Editing my posts now? Way to abuse your powers there Khev. :lol

But since you asked in the far flung future of 2016 we refer to it as BvsS+WW+C&thatlamesaucefishdude

I like Wright fine. I enjoyed his Pegg films and Scott Pilgrim, but I didn't love them, and didn't think they were masterpieces. But I can see his style having a difficult time meshing with the pseudo-realistic Marvel Studios U. And this news doesn't really worry me, because Marvel Studios has totally earned the benefit of the doubt.

The two before that were Iron Man 3 and Thor TDW, I think we should remain worried, a little at least.
I thought they were both good. I haven't not enjoyed a Marvel Studios movie yet. But YMMV.

:lol :lol :lol

Wright isn't a huge name director but he has a following, I've seen people mention they'll see it because of him. His replacement should have a fan following as the character is a hard sell compared to others.

Last edited:
I like Wright fine. I enjoyed his Pegg films and Scott Pilgrim, but I didn't love them, and didn't think they were masterpieces. But I can see his style having a difficult time meshing with the pseudo-realistic Marvel Studios U. And this news doesn't really worry me, because Marvel Studios has totally earned the benefit of the doubt.

I thought they were both good. I haven't not enjoyed a Marvel Studios movie yet. But YMMV.

That is what I was trying to figure out since all these guys movies follow a similar comedic model I was having a hard time trying to see that fit in with the rest of the marvel movies. It is a completely different tone and I am surprised that they waited this long to dump him was not this thing in development for years now you decide to change gears and you are going to pull an director out of no where to shoot a movie that is due next summer.

...aaaaaand, it's being reported that Batman vs. Superman is grabbing it's old summer time slot.

No, it's not, but I could totally see that happening.:lol

I would guess that Marvel has control over how they want these movies to turn out. Directors and actors often want to put their own spin on things and I bet Marvel is clamping down on that...rubs people the wrong way. I'm just guessing, though...

That's true for most of the names on that list. For example, Micky Rourke was upset and running his mouth because he didn't like that Marvel made (in his opinion) Whiplash too one dimensional and was controlling how he portrayed the character. Terrance Howard wanted more money and Natalie Portman got ******** when Marvel dropped her "director" friend.

:lol :lol :lol

Wright isn't a huge name director but he has a following, I've seen people mention they'll see it because of him. His replacement should have a fan following as the character is a hard sell compared to others.

I've also seen people saying they were only going to see it because of him. Unfortunately, it's a lot of big talk from a pretty small group. His last two movies had opening weekends of $10 million and then $8 million. He was bringing talent and vision to the table, but they certainly didn't hire him to capitalize on his small fan base. People will go see this because Marvel's name is attached, not Wright (or whoever replaces him).

This was a huge opportunity for Wright to have his first big hit and become a more familiar name. I can't believe he didn't know what he was getting into. These movies are all connected and I assume he wanted to make a stand alone film outside of the MCU. They don't do that sort of thing.

That's true for most of the names on that list. For example, Micky Rourke was upset and running his mouth because he didn't like that Marvel made (in his opinion) Whiplash too one dimensional and was controlling how he portrayed the character. Terrance Howard wanted more money and Natalie Portman got ******** when Marvel dropped her "director" friend.

With the exception of Portman, all of those seem pretty valid to me. Whiplash was fairly one dimensional, and Rourke is a very talented actor.

Guy co-stars in the Expendables and complains about the simplicity of Whiplash?

To be fair, though, when you see the quality of "Iron Man," and you're just coming off a career high for "The Wrestler," as Riddick says, chances are you're expecting more from the former than you would of a movie where Stallone, Lundgren, and Statham's lead a team of action hero mercenaries.:lol

That's a shame. I think Wright is really talented and I'm sure his style would have fit in fine with the rest of the movies. I was very impressed by the action sequences in World's End, which are arguably better than some of the action sequences in many of the Marvel movies. I think his usual fun, humorous tone fits with the Iron Man movies, and perhaps with GotG.

But who knows what the root of the disagreement really was.

tumblr_n62uk6vgWT1r4dsjko1_500.png

Wrights movies were alright. None of them blew me away by any means and my faith it would be good came from the Marvel folks being involved.

Back