ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lukepic2ua9.jpg

I thought the same thing about the head until I saw this pic.

I haven't read every post in this thread, so this may be a rehash of what has already been discussed, but it looks to me like his head is a bit too tall. I did a quick alteration in photoshop to show what I'm talking about (the altered one is on the right, obviously). It may just be the angle the photo was taken at. I think this sculpt is pretty much spot-on for Hamill aside from this possible issue.

anhluke2.jpg

I think maybe you took off too much from the top would look good. something inbetween your modification and the original.

Ah the wonders of photoshop.

Sometimes I'd rather just see a fuzzy old Polaroid and enjoy what we get when we get it...

The head sculpt looks fine.

Going by this pic, the headsculpt looks fine, hair and all.

Mark Hamill of today doesn't look goood though.

Let's not forget the motorcycle crash that almost killed him and re-arranged his face. Stuff like that is easy to cover up when you are young. But, add that to the normal wear and tear of growing older - I think he is in great shape when you consider all that.

Anyone ever watch the old TV show SeaQuest DSV? Hammil played an alien in 2 episodes of season 2, I thought he did a good job and he did have a beard and gave him an Obi-Wan Kenobi quality. If they had the season on DVD I'd get screencaps, but sadly they haven't put it out yet.

I'm really happy with the piece and even the hair paint looks better in hi-res where you can see the detailing that gets lost in the low-res shots.

Let's not forget the motorcycle crash that almost killed him and re-arranged his face. Stuff like that is easy to cover up when you are young. But, add that to the normal wear and tear of growing older - I think he is in great shape when you consider all that.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that accident happening only a few months before he started filming The Empire Strikes Back. I heard it was pretty bad, and he was lucky to have survived. I think it was when he was filming a low budget race car movie called "Corvette Summer" with actress Annie Potts. You can definitely see the difference in his face, especially during his recovery room scene after he got out of the "bacta tank" in Empire. The closeup of his face right after Leia kisses him and Chewie starts laughing. "Laugh it up fuzzball"!

Last edited:
I think everybody blows that out of proportion. And from what I've read, Hammil thinks it, too. He broke his nose (which can change the look of someone pretty drastically) and got a few scars. But people make it sound like his face was ripped off and the had to make him a new one. Put RotJ/ESB next to ANH and you can see it's the same person.

Anyone ever watch the old TV show SeaQuest DSV? Hammil played an alien in 2 episodes of season 2, I thought he did a good job and he did have a beard and gave him an Obi-Wan Kenobi quality. If they had the season on DVD I'd get screencaps, but sadly they haven't put it out yet.

I'm really happy with the piece and even the hair paint looks better in hi-res where you can see the detailing that gets lost in the low-res shots.

The second season of Seaquest is out on DVD...saw it at WalMart for $45. Can probably get it online even cheaper...
Even had Hamill listed on the back as a guest star.

His look definitely isn't radically changed by the accident, but his face doesn't have a certain indescribable difference and you can just sense something isn't the same between ESB and ANH, I'm sure a combination of aging and the accident.

Yeah, I remember hearing about that accident happening only a few months before he started filming The Empire Strikes Back. I heard it was pretty bad, and he was lucky to have survived. I think it was when he was filming a low budget race car movie called "Corvette Summer" with actress Annie Potts. You can definitely see the difference in his face, especially during his recovery room scene after he got out of the "bacta tank" in Empire. The closeup of his face right after Leia kisses him and Chewie starts laughing. "Laugh it up fuzzball"!

Just a historical clarification note.... Hamill got into his infamous car accident in January of 1977, 4 months before STAR WARS was even released.

Apparently, Hamill was driving out into the California desert locations for pick-ups and additional photography on STAR WARS, all the Tatooine stuff they didn't manage to get while filming in Tunisia. Hamill was SUPPOSED to shoot a bunch of scenes in the landspeeder, and had to miss out because of his accident. That's why all the shots of the lansdpeeder zooming across the flats are long shots; it's a Luke stand-in (sit-in?) next to Threepio in the speeder.

This info is from the MAKING OF STAR WARS book that came out last spring.

And the reports of the severity of the damage vary from year-to-year, and person-to-person.... according to the book, Hamill told SW producer Gary Kurtz that his nose was just broken and that he could still make the shoot, and Kurtz took one look at him in the hospital, and nixed the idea. So, who knows how bad the injuries were.

On a side note (dunno if someone's mentioned this before), but I always wondered if the Wampa scene in EMPIRE was written in to sort of explain Luke's slightly different look.

On a side note (dunno if someone's mentioned this before), but I always wondered if the Wampa scene in EMPIRE was written in to sort of explain Luke's slightly different look.

I've always figured that's why it's there. I don't see any other reason for having a scene of Luke getting his face rearranged by a monster.

I've heard that theory before as well, and it makes sense.

It is strange how reports about the accident vary so much from person to person. I guess it shows the difference between pop idol worship in the late 70's and today. A celebrity so much as sneezes in a funny way and its reported on ad-naseum :lol

that's a good point. i still vividly remember that scene when I was really young watching it in the theatre...his first time using a force power, i guess aside from hearing obi-wan. i'm glad it's in there...especially since he was seconds away from being swiped by the Wampa and he had to grab the lightsabre or die.

Back