ANH Busts: Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan & Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ANH Bust Project: Luke, Leia, Han & Obi Wan.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and yes Lovepumper, I do paint these myself!
The Obi Wan Kenobi bust is finished and painted and what a mission it was! I'm really happy with the results and it is definitely one of those pieces where I had to raise my game and use some different techniques to resolve it properly. Feels kinda cool to have learned something about sculpting and painting while working on a sculpture of old Ben!
Here are some pics of the finished Obi Wan.....and for those who feel there's a little too much Rebel presence in this thread, I'm about to bring the Empire in, as Grand Moff Tarkin is the next bust on the list.....so stay tuned!

DSCF1932_zpscxpwtmt3.jpg

DSCF2231_zpslmekwn7f.jpg

DSCF2233_zps0loqv4ag.jpg

DSCF2241_zpszean3cae.jpg

DSCF2257_zpsbwjchwrv.jpg

Wow, these are all incredible! I would love to see these down in a bronzed finish too, I think they'd look spectacular like that.

most impressive work.:clap

Yeah I actually think these work best as traditional unpainted or bronzed busts myself. There's no real need for them to be fully painted (although your paintjobs are all still really good). :)

Agreed. It is rare to see a sculpt work just as well painted as unpainted. They are fantastic either way.

Thanks Everyone for the comments! In regard to finishing these pieces with more traditional approach, die and davejames, you've given me something to think about. The bronze look might work really well with these busts, so I may do a few tests with some finishes of that type when these are all completed! If I do have any success with that, I'll post the results. I must admit I was eager to put some paint on these busts, mainly to see if the likenesses really were on or not. Even the coloring of these characters is so iconic, so once those colors were on the busts I knew that would help to be a final way of gauging how close these sculpts actually are to being accurate.
Here are current progress pics of Moff Tarkin....

DSCF2853_zpsjw8ide8u.jpg

DSCF2857_zpslcvqbfe1.jpg

DSCF2860_zpsy43h1dxx.jpg

DSCF2863_zpsxccly3xj.jpg

I'm still amazed at how fast you work and how well you capture not only the likeness, but the feel of the character as well, which is a very difficult thing to do.

Excellent work! You've not only created a beautiful series of busts, but they have such a nice style that looks like it stepped right out of 1977. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Too Much Garlic....I have tried to keep not only the accuracy but also the 'feel' of each character showing through in the finished pieces. Keeping that present and not whittling it all away during the refining and detailing process is the most challenging part.
Thanks for the comment galactiboy! It's good to know that these busts look like they are of that time.
Here's the latest Moff Tarkin pics...

Thanks Fan, I will be taking a few pictures of some of these busts together soon so I will post the results. It's not been as fast as I'd like due to a few other sculpts going on but I've made some good progress on this bust. Here are latest pics of Tarkin...

Fantastic work. That Tarkin is still my favorite, but damn, the other busts are awesome too. So clean and stylish.

Back