Angel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These high res images are fangtastic :lol
They really show the detail and the jacket looks awesome in these images. They seem to have the right fabric, but havent taken the reduction of scale into consideration. This may be the thickness of the real fabric but when the scale is reduced 1:4 the fabric needs to be thinner to accomodate this.

However, the eyes on the human face are superbly painted. They show so much life, and look more authentic than Spikes. These arent just one solid colour.

In my opinion, from these images particularly. The hair could be vastly improved. It doesnt look very well defined. It looks just like the one on the 12" figures, and since this is a larger scale, the hair should be more detailed.

Still, i cant wait to get this though

Wayne

Excellent photos!

I have to say though it doesn't really change my attitude towards this sculpt much.

Granted the Vamp face is goodish, but the human face should be miles better then it's turned out,

As everyone has said the wrinkles hurt this portrait a huge amount. The crossed eyes are also a constant annoyance.

The stance is daft, and the clothes silly as they don't represent the character in any way, and as someone else pointed out it would be nice to have a bit of color on him somewhere.

Imagine if you will if he'd been wearing his long coat from season 2 of buffy which was lined in red. That would have looked beautiful. A splash of color would have livened thing up no end in my opinion.

Well, i just checked my emails and i actually got a reply from them, it appears to be a real email not a generated one

Here it is, not the best news but at least they got back to me

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service Department.

I do not know if we will be making any changes to the Premium Format
Angel prototype however, I am happy to forward your comments to our
Product Development Team.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Jennifer Bigham
Customer Service

EDIT: Her email said to contact her if she could be of any further assistance. SO, i emailed her with detailed opinions and also sent her this image, to forward to the team. I explained to her that IF the team takes these changes into consideration, Fans will respect them and trust them even more, knowing that they care about the fans.

I sent her this image, which i think screams Angel. I noted the jacket, shirt and hair. I said the pose would work even better with this outfit

https://www.slayerverse.org/svggaldeluxe/details.php?image_id=20631

I also made the point of asking her if she was a fan and what she thought of the piece, after seeing the released Spike Statue.

I also said i could get full back up of atleast 50 fans (i could probably get more) to back my opinions that i stated.

I will post any replies that i get.

Wayne

Last edited:
Nice email from SS, but I think the one you sent was asking a bit much personally, about the changing the outfit and hair, let alone the wrinkles.
Its definitely to far in production to get a full outfit change and major sculpting overhaul. The wrinkles is a possibility but beyond that wouldn't be possible.
Still, they're taking note of the criticism. :D

Nice email from SS, but I think the one you sent was asking a bit much personally, about the changing the outfit and hair, let alone the wrinkles.
Its definitely to far in production to get a full outfit change and major sculpting overhaul. The wrinkles is a possibility but beyond that wouldn't be possible.
Still, they're taking note of the criticism. :D

Well, you never know, and the worse they can do is say no.

Buffys hair was changed, sure not the biggest change, but this figure definately deserves it. The took the opinions of Buffy into account, which is why i think they released the second one.

Since it hasnt even showcased at SDCC there is a chance that production hasnt even started yet, right?

Also, the email states its a prototype. SO, it could still be changed.
Also, i wouldnt be suprised if they didnt even begin manufacture until they know they have sold enough. They arent going to produce 500, very expensive statues, list them for sale, then not sell one. They would be extremely out of pocket

Wayne

I would have loved it if that was the outfit angel was wearing! That's pretty much his style during the whole series of 'angel'.

I very much doubt they will change anything at all. If we are lucky they may fix the wrinkly forehead. But there's no way they will change the outfit.

I do wonder who picks the pose/outfits for the figures. Do they even watch the show or do they just pick the first image they come across and base the figure on that. Because that's what it seems like!

I have ordered him though....i just really wish they would make some changes to it.

I would have loved it if that was the outfit angel was wearing! That's pretty much his style during the whole series of 'angel'.

I very much doubt they will change anything at all. If we are lucky they may fix the wrinkly forehead. But there's no way they will change the outfit.

I do wonder who picks the pose/outfits for the figures. Do they even watch the show or do they just pick the first image they come across and base the figure on that. Because that's what it seems like!

I have ordered him though....i just really wish they would make some changes to it.

Actually, it seems like they take one reference for the outfit and another for the head, without even considering the time variation between the two. See, if he was based soley on the Promo photo with that outfit, he would look superb, but he has an early Buffy Body and a late Angel Head.

Thats why i asked the woman if she was a fan herself and what she thought of him.

Only time will tell. They have over a week until SDCC, i would be overwhelmed if they showcased changes there

Wayne

I emailed Sideshow too and basically got the same sort of reply, only less personal. Didn't actually mention the figure at all. At least with your version they did.

Yes, it's a shame about that bloody awful coat. Looks like he's wearing it for a bet!

I'm becoming more an more convinced that the PTB at Sideshow don't look at the show, and hardly any of the publicity shots judging by some of their releases. :confused:

The outfits they pick do seem really strange choices (at least for the 2 buffy pf's and angel). I don't get why they don't use outfits that were worn in the show. There are probably hundreds to pick from, yet they put them in crappy promo photo outfits. To me that's something the actor wore, not the character.

And, yes, i know i have thought about this way too much! :eek:

Am i right to believe that they use the same sculpt as a base for the Vampire sculpt as they did for the human sculpt? Do they just use the human head and sculpt the vampire details?

If so, why did they remove the wrinkles for the vamp head, but leave them pronounced on the human sculpt?

Wayne

I think they did that.Looking at the high res shots you can see what they've done. As you say, seems weird that they 'de-wrinkled' him though, and not the human version.

DB is a very handsome man. Yes he has forehead lines, but nothing as pronounced as those.

On this picture he has forehead wrinkles and his eyebrows don't look like they're lifting? Maybe on the picture Sideshow used as reference David has forehead wrinkles

dbmq2.jpg

I think they did that.Looking at the high res shots you can see what they've done. As you say, seems weird that they 'de-wrinkled' him though, and not the human version.

DB is a very handsome man. Yes he has forehead lines, but nothing as pronounced as those.

I agree completely Sue.
They seemed to have got Davids likeness quite well in the City of, Angel Sculpt, god knows how they came to this one, after having a pretty solid one before

Having said that, i have ordered it.

And as for DB being a very handsome man. He is indeed, hes a very attractive guy, and i dont say that about many men, acually, hes probably the only man ive ever said that about. I just dont know why they make all of his figures look old? He seems very co-operative with scans and stuff. Lets just hope he hasnt approved this yet and changes have to be made?

He still looks young now, much younger than this figure, so they could have gotten a brand new scan and captured David and his looks now.

Its crazy, a very attractive guy and his figure makes him look less perfect. Shouldnt it be the other way around? The figure being too perfect? If thats possible :cool:

On this picture he has forehead wrinkles and his eyebrows don't look like they're lifting? Maybe on the picture Sideshow used as reference David has forehead wrinkles

dbmq2.jpg

Thats true, but they dont looks bad there. Sure they are still visible, but they look fine on him. Lets hope its Sideshows professional lighting that is making them stand out?

Also, at least they have got his eye colour almost, if not perfect. But i wish his eyes were larger. He has got nice big eyes and the figures released of him make him look almost squinty

Wayne

His forehead does seem too wrinkly. Buy my main issue is with the jacket. I would have preferred the full length version. I don't care that it's not leather, I just like the longer jacket better. That being said, overall I think it's good. I do like the Vampire face better on this one and the normal face better on Spike which would put me in a display dilemma. I haven't ordered Spike and am on the waitlist for the exclusive so I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

I emailed the woman who makes the clothes for the Sideshow Figures.
She was very helpful and polite
She is employed by Sideshow, has done the clothes for both Buffys and Spike AND the costume for the upcoming Angel. As well as the Buffy 12" figures!

The response i recieved was hand written, personalised and quite helpful. Heres a portion of it

Yes, I am the costumer of the new Premium Format Angel figure. The choice of costume is determined by the Sideshow development team, a group effort. I have forwarded your email to the team for consideration for a future costume request. The team always appreciates hearing what the fan base is interested in when deciding upon a new product.

Ive just replied to her. Asking her if she makes all of the costumes for this piece (or just the prototype) I asked her if she has started production of them all yet. So, if she hasnt, then there is still a chance it could change

I also said that so far, the team isnt interested in our comments...

Ill let you know of any response i get

Wayne

The team isn't interested in our comments?:confused: Thats a bit of a generalized and harsh thing to say, all the emails sent by fans have been forwarded to the team. Just because we haven't got a direct response yet saying 'were changing the outfit and wrinkles' doesn't mean they're not listening. Angels only been up for a week or so.
And really, your getting your hopes up with the outfit, its not going to change. The wrinkles maybe, but the costume specifically chosen by the team to fit that figure wont be. I dont think theres ever been a SS product that has changed beyond minor sculpting.
I really think as a collective the comments here are being so picky and bashing SS as a company. I know we all want the best product we can get but theres a point where enough is enough. Or at least tone the hatred down a little.
Btw this isnt specifically aimed at you wayne, just generally. I do think your efforts and intentions are admirable.

Last edited:
Back