Angel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't understand how he ended up with all of those forehead wrinkles when they don't match the stoic facial expression at all. It seems strange that a professional sculptor would make such a glaring mistake, and that no one else would catch it during the approval process.

I still don't understand how he ended up with all of those forehead wrinkles when they don't match the stoic facial expression at all. It seems strange that a professional sculptor would make such a glaring mistake, and that no one else would catch it during the approval process.

Well said TOM!

You can only put it down to either a poor understanding of human anatomy or poor quality control.

Either way it's ended up looking awful.

I seem to be the Devil's Advocate here but I was at my sister's house and surfed the net on her computer and looked at the Angel PF. With her computer's resolution the human head looked much better. The wrinkles looked more fluid on the forehead and there was the slightest detail of DB's measle mark. It looked good to me.

Quite right love, it does, doesn't it. :confused:

I think it's great people are ready to buy it, but that doesn't mean we, the ones who pre-ordered, aren't going to complain about the flaws of the statue that's going to cost us $250

i forgot he went up for pre order. ooops. oh well i got him on order now. i just need to decide if i want to get spike or not. because if i do i need to get the exclusive version.

I seem to be the Devil's Advocate here but I was at my sister's house and surfed the net on her computer and looked at the Angel PF. With her computer's resolution the human head looked much better. The wrinkles looked more fluid on the forehead and there was the slightest detail of DB's measle mark. It looked good to me.

Any idea what res her monitor is?

Truth be told I couldn't really tell you. When it comes to computers I just know how to surf online and word process.This does put my claim into doubt. But I know that her computer has better resolution than the computer at my house. My eyes can see it. The computer at our house is ancient. Sorry.

Here are four hi-res images:

They are quite large, each roughly 40- by 60-inches, but ImageShack will scale them by width to fit your screen. Depending on your bandwidth and your screen real estate, you may or may not want to click on the reduced image to see it full size.

It's interesting how different the sculpt can look depending on angle and lighting:

angelcmprxp9.jpg

I think Angel's looking pretty good on the left, not so much on the right. I agree that the creases in his forehead are a bit too pronounced in both portraits — and the way the figure is lighted for these photos brings them out even more — but what's really throwing the likeness off, for me, is the eyes.

Splitting the head in half emphasizes how the eyes are looking in different directions, making the eyes on the section of the head on our left appear to be looking straight ahead, while in the section of the head on the right, Angel's gaze appears to be focused slightly to our left:

angelspltwx4.jpg

Like willowswarlock and RoboDad, I couldn't resist the temptation to play with the image a bit, and I made some very slight alterations. A little Botox to soften the creases on the forehead; some blush on his right (our left) cheek to strengthen his jaw line and bring out the cheekbone; a regimen of Orthoptics to correct the amblyopia; a slight arch to the right eyebrow to match the creases in the forehead; and a little off the the hair around the temples to give him a more youthful look.

angelbaky9.gif

Very minor changes which really don't make that much of a difference. Again, I think the harsh highlights and shadows are really hurting this guy and over-emphasizing the forehead creases. I doubt they will be as pronounced under normal, ambient room lighting. Hopefully we'll see some candid shots from the display floor at SDCC that will show off the sculpt in a better light. If the factory painters can get the eyes right, I think we'll have a pretty solid portrait of Angel as he appeared in the latter seasons of his series.

Regarding the outfit, I, too, would have preferred the standard-issue leather jacket. I can understand the creative team wanting to give us something a little bit different, but choosing couture over character in this instance was probably not the best way to go. I think alternative versions of characters are fine for the 1:6 line, where you can have a variety of looks to choose from, but I think the PFs should represent their subjects as they are best known.

However, the gothic, vampire-chic look is growing on me, especially when matched with the excellent Angelus head, but the jacket needs to be more tailored to better fit the contours of the body. It's too loose-fitting now, and makes the figure appear to be very barrel-chested.

Speaking of the excellent Angelus portrait, what I especially like about it is no bared teeth. Through all the different makeups, the vamp teeth were nasty fugly, and I'm glad the decision was made not to show them. Though I prefer the leaner, more feral Angelus from the early seasons of Buffy, this Angelus has a brutish, cruel, truly inhuman look to him that perfectly captures his ferocious nature.

Like Spike, the alternate game face is what sold me on the figure and how I will display it. IMO, Angel's vampire persona is infinitely more interesting than his brooding, introspective "human" counterpart, and he'll look great with Vamp Spike, flanking the demure, yet ever-vigilant, Buffy. :stake

Thanks for those HQ pics. The wrinkles don't look as bad at a higher res but they still are too defined. The hair is not a problem for me as i'm used to it being like that with the 12" figures. The wrinkles need to be fixed. He looks betetr in your photo shopped picture (of course) and the little eyebrow adjustment isn't that noticable but does make a difference

That vampire head sculpt is just amazing. The human sculpt is irrelevant imo, game face is the only way to display this piece.

Back