Amiami and Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Amiami only has HT figures on their Japanese site now, which is kind of a bummer. They have/had some really nice discounts for figures that don't really sell. I'm pretty sure Sideshow still sell HT internationally though.

Edit: I think you being in Asia has something to do with Sideshow's restrictions.
Amiami only sells HT figures on their Japanese site now is because Sideshow probably filed a complaint against Amiami for giving discount of more than 8% on the HT figures. Sideshow accused Amiami taking away their HT sales because after Amiami discount, it is actually cheaper to buy some unpopular HT figures on Amiami than buying directly from Sideshow. I had this conversation with a Sideshow manager about 10 months ago, and she brought up this complaint.

Sounds reasonable, considering the distributional contracts that are apparently in place. Not a very free market way of thinking, but the way the relationships are set up with HT it isn't supposed to work that way.

Sounds reasonable, considering the distributional contracts that are apparently in place. Not a very free market way of thinking, but the way the relationships are set up with HT it isn't supposed to work that way.

If that is the case then distributors that are offering that kind of discount aren't getting the product through standard channels - this is the "grey" market I mentioned earlier.

Amiami only sells HT figures on their Japanese site now is because Sideshow probably filed a complaint against Amiami for giving discount of more than 8% on the HT figures. Sideshow accused Amiami taking away their HT sales because after Amiami discount, it is actually cheaper to buy some unpopular HT figures on Amiami than buying directly from Sideshow. I had this conversation with a Sideshow manager about 10 months ago, and she brought up this complaint.
That's lame. Some HT figures SSC won't even let me buy, & they (if true) are now the cause of closing an alternative place for me to order those figures. They restricted me from buying Spiderman, Maleficent, Raiden, GA Captain America ..... etc :slap

The main thing that was cool about Amiami was the discounts. I think at one point the 'Hot Toys - Metal Gear 3 - The Boss' figure went all the way down to around $60. A $60 HT figure. Crazy.

My local store might get closed in 2015 and I may be priced out of this hobby...

Thank you, Sideshow :wave

That's lame. Some HT figures SSC won't even let me buy, & they (if true) are now the cause of closing an alternative place for me to order those figures. They restricted me from buying Spiderman, Maleficent, Raiden, GA Captain America ..... etc :slap

The main thing that was cool about Amiami was the discounts. I think at one point the 'Hot Toys - Metal Gear 3 - The Boss' figure went all the way down to around $60. A $60 HT figure. Crazy.

My local store might get closed in 2015 and I may be priced out of this hobby...

Thank you, Sideshow :wave

You guys don't seem to be getting it - these stores that are offering the figures at such a deep discount aren't getting them through legitimate channels. Of course the real distributors are going to do whatever they can to shut them down.

I don't care about amiami not selling HT, but sideshow not selling HT to my part of the world is a bit of a bummer.

To be fair, I don't think amiami one of the largest if not the largest online retailer of Japanese toys and collectibles would be receiving their goods through unofficial sources. Furthermore, the only reason why some of their HT figures were on deep discount was because they weren't selling and they were taking up room. Additionally, preorders for HT figures had some discount to them, but they weren't that much cheaper than ordering them from domestic sites here in the states especially when you take in account shipping from Japan brings them back to the same price.

To be fair, I don't think amiami one of the largest if not the largest online retailer of Japanese toys and collectibles would be receiving their goods through unofficial sources. Furthermore, the only reason why some of their HT figures were on deep discount was because they weren't selling and they were taking up room. Additionally, preorders for HT figures had some discount to them, but they weren't that much cheaper than ordering them from domestic sites here in the states especially when you take in account shipping from Japan brings them back to the same price.

If they're in Japan then they should be getting the figures from HT directly. SSC wouldn't have anything to do with it.

You guys don't seem to be getting it - these stores that are offering the figures at such a deep discount aren't getting them through legitimate channels. Of course the real distributors are going to do whatever they can to shut them down.
You're guessing :lol

My theory is HT is simply now enforcing region restrictions (maybe pushed by SSC if what "chipgau" said is accurate). SSC are restricted from selling to asian regions, so maybe they feel that asian regions should be restricted from selling in the regions SSC are allowed. I usually buy from SSC anyway, even if it costs a bit more, because I like their return policies, & reward points. But I'm kinda sad to be missing out on what might be some crazy discount deals at Amiami, for figures that aren't selling well.

Of course, what you say Dave might be accurate, but we are both guessing.

I will miss their discounts too. They had Ed 209 going for $240 at one point. Also both Chitauri soldier and officer for $310. I've picked up some good deals. Plus they had points. The strange thing is, it appears this restriction doesn't apply to Hobby Link Japan. They still advertise Hot Toys items. I've bought from them as well over time. While not as great as Amiami their prices are good and they have discounts during some special occasions. Crazy discounts sometimes. Like the $1600 discount on Prime 1 Megatron... Sad I missed that...

I manage to buy 1/6 Tonto @USD110 including shipping from Amiami around a week after they implimented the HT Blackout on their English site.

I was also on their site at the moment they did the Blackout... one minute everything is there, the next 0 results returned.

I've used Amiami since 2007.....Woah... almost 7 years, how time flies...

Amazon.co.jp.... more frequently than Amiami has much better deals

You're guessing :lol

My theory is HT is simply now enforcing region restrictions (maybe pushed by SSC if what "chipgau" said is accurate). SSC are restricted from selling to asian regions, so maybe they feel that asian regions should be restricted from selling in the regions SSC are allowed. I usually buy from SSC anyway, even if it costs a bit more, because I like their return policies, & reward points. But I'm kinda sad to be missing out on what might be some crazy discount deals at Amiami, for figures that aren't selling well.

Of course, what you say Dave might be accurate, but we are both guessing.

And guess what, SSC never have distributors outside US, maybe UK or some European country but that's it, the rest of the world have to make purchase from SSC USA and pay tons on shipping.

I find that to be the case as well. Amazon is the only other US online store, off the top of my head, that has competitive shipping costs to me.

Sideshows shipping costs are the best. Specially for the larger statues. It's an amazing deal. However sometimes it doesn't make sense. For example, shipping on the 1/6 diorama of Arishkage Temple is $160 to me whereas Gladiator Hulk was only $137. I'm sure the Gladiator Hulk is heavier and bigger. Heck even Megatron from Prime 1 is priced lower at $147.

The shipping from SSC for 1/6 has always been very reasonable.

reasonable, but not as good as if they had distributors outside US & Europe, it still cost alot shipping a standalone item. they are all made in China so i don't see why they can't have some of their sales shipped from China and have to go all the way shipping it to USA then to whichever country you are in.

Back