AMC's The Killing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they want to find out who killed her in an hour they should call the people over at the jeffersonian institute with Booth and Bones

Or, they could take the Delorean into the past and watch who murders her as it happens. Wouldn't even take an hour. Assuming they already had the Delorean.

I think I'm going to like this show a lot. The characters are complex and not very likable and they are creating enough threads that they'll have a lot of places to go before solving the murder. I did think of Twin Peaks - but aside from a murder taking a season to solve - it's not really related. This is much more grounded in reality.

Yeah I saw that comparison a lot but other than the show revolving around the mystery of a murdered girl, the two shows really have nothing else in common like you said.

The only problem with a show like this is:

1. With a single case to focus on it makes every episode critical. So if people miss one show, they might get lost and then lose interest.

2. I know AMC is good about supporting their shows but it would suck if the ratings tanked and the show got canceled. Which is usually the biggest risk when investing time as a viewer in a show like this (never finding out what happened).

3. It's a one trick pony. If the first season is successful, will they do a second with a single case again!? I just don't see this working twice for one show. I hope so though, because I like this show.

Yeah I saw that comparison a lot but other than the show revolving around the mystery of a murdered girl, the two shows really have nothing else in common like you said.

The only problem with a show like this is:

1. With a single case to focus on it makes every episode critical. So if people miss one show, they might get lost and then lose interest.

2. I know AMC is good about supporting their shows but it would suck if the ratings tanked and the show got canceled. Which is usually the biggest risk when investing time as a viewer in a show like this (never finding out what happened).

3. It's a one trick pony. If the first season is successful, will they do a second with a single case again!? I just don't see this working twice for one show. I hope so though, because I like this show.

I think AMC said during on of the write-ups that it was going to run the season no matter what the ratings are, I think though it will be popular enough not to even worry about it.

24 ran for what 7 seasons as a 1 trick pony, I don't see why a short series like this can't work if it's well done like it seems to be so far.

Anyone else think that Dec. Holder is a bit creepy? I sure do, maybe he did it!

Evan

I haven't quite finished off both episodes yet, but I'm enjoying it. The slow pace works here, at least for me. I think the slow pace combined with the music is what gives it the Twin Peaks vibe, but the story itself seems much more grounded.

Well I see why they aired two episodes last night instead of just the pilot. Nothing happened in the pilot. Very slow development, they don't even find the body until the end of the first episode, but I have to admit it has me hooked enough to come back for more.

The killer is her father. Ooops, wrong show. :monkey1

I think AMC said during on of the write-ups that it was going to run the season no matter what the ratings are

Good to know!

24 ran for what 7 seasons as a 1 trick pony, I don't see why a short series like this can't work if it's well done like it seems to be so far.

24 was an action/adventure series. Not a slow paced, story driven whodunit. Big difference.

I liked it. I'm not a big fan of crime dramas because they get wrapped up so fast. I like the slow pace and getting to know the characters. I'd rather see things unfold. And I'm fine with it being one season.

As far as who did it, from what I've read they've done a good job keeping you guessing (if they're sticking to the original series). That being said, it was Killer Bob.

Btw, what the hell was that thing washed up on the beach in the very beginning of the show?

I liked it. I'm not a big fan of crime dramas because they get wrapped up so fast. I like the slow pace and getting to know the characters. I'd rather see things unfold. And I'm fine with it being one season.

As far as who did it, from what I've read they've done a good job keeping you guessing (if they're sticking to the original series). That being said, it was Killer Bob.

Btw, what the hell was that thing washed up on the beach in the very beginning of the show?

Looked like a dog or pig to me.

I think it's supposed to be a reference to that mystery animal that recently washed up in South America. No one could identify it, but most assumed it was a highly decomposed dog or pig.

Her finding it is a red herring for the beginning of the show - since they intercut it with Rosie running through very similar woods.

But it's also a metaphor for the show - it's about death, but you aren't quite sure what it's supposed to be.

I had a different take on that scene. For me, it set up Sarah Linden's character and personality when it comes to her job.

She didn't freak out and showed absolutely no emotion while approaching that thing that washed up. And it was intentionally shot to look like a possible body. And again, Linden didn't freak out or panic. She took a closer look, made an assessment of what it was i.e. not human, and then looked off in the distance.

And that's essentially how she approaches her job throughout both episodes. Her partner was quick to jump to conclusions, while Linden remained reserved and calculated.

And that's a complete contrast to how she is with her son and her boyfriend. Almost like two different people.

**EDIT

Looks like The Killing made a killing in the ratings.

The premiere was AMC's second-highest original series premiere following The Walking Dead. The premiere drew 2.7 million viewers and a 2 household rating. The two encores of the premiere episode brought the ratings of the premiere up to a total of 4.6 million total viewers and a 3.7 household rating.

:clap:clap:clap

So is Linden's son not really Linden's son? Did anyone else get that as well from that scene where she meets her replacement/partner and he's asking about the dead chick in the photo and asks about what happened to her child and Linden doesn't respond?

So is Linden's son not really Linden's son? Did anyone else get that as well from that scene where she meets her replacement/partner and he's asking about the dead chick in the photo and asks about what happened to her child and Linden doesn't respond?

We'll it could be one of two things, her husband is dead ( I think), so it's either their child or maybe it was his child from a previous marriage.

Evan

Possible. But kinda iffy. She doesn't strike me as the type of person to keep an 8+ year old file on her desk involving the murder of a woman who's the biological mother of her adopted son that she's raised since age 6.

As far as her reaction and getting kinda irked that's probably due to Holder commenting "Crackhead thought she was Picasso!?" followed by the tactful "did he get iced too?" after Linden clarifies that it was the "Crackhead's 6 yr. old son" who drew the picture. :lol

Still.. it's possible.

Didn't know this before, but apparently this series is a remake of a Danish show!? Curious: has anyone read up or spoiled themselves with info from that original series?

I had a different take on that scene. For me, it set up Sarah Linden's character and personality when it comes to her job.

She didn't freak out and showed absolutely no emotion while approaching that thing that washed up. And it was intentionally shot to look like a possible body. And again, Linden didn't freak out or panic. She took a closer look, made an assessment of what it was i.e. not human, and then looked off in the distance.

And that's essentially how she approaches her job throughout both episodes. Her partner was quick to jump to conclusions, while Linden remained reserved and calculated.

And that's a complete contrast to how she is with her son and her boyfriend. Almost like two different people.

Yea, well it's that too. That's the thing about good tv - it works on multiple levels.

Back