AMC Goodfellas TV Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meth head

Super Freak
Reaction score
Goodfellas_movie_image-2.jpg

We first heard about the possibility of a Goodfellas TV series in October of 2010, but since then, no more solid details have surfaced. Now some great news for those anticipating a TV adaptation of Martin Scorsese‘s classic mafia drama comes from Deadline who reveals that AMC is behind the development of the series with the film’s writer, Nicholas Pileggi, and producer Irwin Winkler, along with his son David Winkler, are executive producing the series along with writer/producer Jorge Zamacona (Homicide: Life on the Street).

The 1990 film chronicled the rise and fall of Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) who got caught up in the sweet life of the mob without thinking about the repercussions. It’s not clear what the series adaptation will focus on, but with AMC at the helm of a period mob drama series, I’m hoping to see the mafia with some Mad Men flare. The question is whether or not the network could wrangle Martin Scorsese to at least direct the pilot and give the series a great launch. After all, he kicked off Boardwalk Empire off with a bang, and this could be just as exquisite.

Be nice if AMC stuck to more original fare, but if they need a show like this to help continue funding for your Mad Men and Breaking Bads of the world, then power to them.

WHY?! :dunno

If I wanna see Goodfellas, I'll just watch the movie again. :lol

Instead of just pouring money down the toilet on remake bull____ of untouchable properties, they should dump it into the great shows they already have instead of cockblocking full seasons with "mid-season finales."

If they want a show like this the only way it will work is if HBO picks it up, l don't really care for shows on AMC.

No kidding. Wtf does it need to be called Goodfellas for let alone based on the movie? This makes no sense.

Yeah, seeing as how the movie covers Henry from a kid through protective custody, I don't see how AMC could elaborate on that, let alone find anything more interesting than what we already saw in the flick. :lol

Though I agree that the story of Goodfellas has been told and doesn't need much elaboration, I'm sure that the writers AMC hires on will be able to produce a good mob show, irrespective of the constraints. The brand name seems only to be a means of bringing in cash due to name recognition. The thing that made Goodfellas special was the intersection of the right story, characters, and direction that all fell into place. AMC is not gonna be able to reproduce that, and so you've essentially got what could be a generic mob show that forces in this character or that because they were in the movie inspiring it.

Well played sir.
You are a smelly pirate hooker!

Yeah, seeing as how the movie covers Henry from a kid through protective custody, I don't see how AMC could elaborate on that, let alone find anything more interesting than what we already saw in the flick. :lol

Though I agree that the story of Goodfellas has been told and doesn't need much elaboration, I'm sure that the writers AMC hires on will be able to produce a good mob show, irrespective of the constraints. The brand name seems only to be a means of bringing in cash due to name recognition. The thing that made Goodfellas special was the intersection of the right story, characters, and direction that all fell into place. AMC is not gonna be able to reproduce that, and so you've essentially got what could be a generic mob show that forces in this character or that because they were in the movie inspiring it.

You are a smelly pirate hooker!

:lol

What they could do is focus more on characters like Paulie, Tuddy, Billy Batts and Jimmy (in great depth) Henry would be an reiteration.

If they want to do this they should just make up some characters and make a story in that area, start fresh. Even then l say this would be a fail on AMC, mob type shows need to be on HBO.

Because only the channel that was responsible for the Sopranos is capable of producing a good mob show?

AMC doesn't have enough swearing or violence that should be in a show like this, sorry but if Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Oz or Deadwood were AMC shows they wouldn't be half of what they are. Even the walking dead would be much better on HBO then AMC. I have never gotten into an AMC shows.

Any notoriety that Goodfellas received was from the cast. Trying to capitalize off of that with only the director is a big fail.

If they want to do this they should just make up some characters and make a story in that area, start fresh. Even then l say this would be a fail on AMC, mob type shows need to be on HBO.

F-bombs aside, why? :dunno

You need to educate yourself a bit on AMC's shows if you think it's violence. The Walking Dead is about the goriest thing I've seen produced by HBO, Showtime, etc., and AMC's producing it.

F-bombs aside, why? :dunno

You need to educate yourself a bit on AMC's shows if you think it's violence. The Walking Dead is about the goriest thing I've seen produced by HBO, Showtime, etc., and AMC's producing it.

Mob shows need swearing and violence, only way to do it or else it's like a toned down B movie version. if your are going to do a mob project make it accurate, that's why l love sopranos and Boardwalk Empire.

I have only watched the first season of "Walking Dead" and as l said in that thread last year is it should of been done George Romero style, more dark, more gore (yes there was gore, but still smaller scale then average zombie flicks) should of had more swearing (people would have mouths on them in situations like that), i think it would of been more epic if it was on HBO because they would of allowed more of those things listed. Again Walking Dead reminded me of a more toned down zombie movie.

You must not have seen much of Breaking Bad, then.

That's one l have never watched.

Back