ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really impressed when I first saw MP36. Then noticed some flaws (in my eyes) that I just couldn't unsee. Once I realised it wasn't for me I picked up Mightron and have no regrets. I already had XT Apollyon and, while I like the alt-mode, I always knew it wouldn't be my final Megatron. Happy for those who're excited for MP36 though :)

MP 36 is pure perfection.

Not to start a war here, but it's Hard for me to truly understand how anyone could compare it with the other options TBH. Not even in the same league.
Oh well

Right?

I mean...I get where the others come from, but to bring it black to white:

One thing all 3rd party Megs have in common is bulk. They are bulky and what brings bulk? Inner space, thats why most don't look panelly, but I have NO PROBLEM with that. It is a toy of character that mass-shifts and transforms from robot to a gun, parts need to go somewhere and TT's does an amazing job of doing him truly G1 accurate, where the others, frankly, are only inspired.

MT's Despotron is a cool Dreamwave G1 Megs and would've been the one, if TT wouldn't have brought out theirs.
DX9's looks great...simple, except the legs and those lips. But, a great Megs.
XTB's Apollyon is the weakest. Kibble on the legs is horrible. Chinese face is a big WTF and the proportions and transformation is the last tipping point.
So all 3 are possibly the easiest pass...EVER!

Not to start a war here, but it's Hard for me to truly understand how anyone could compare it with the other options TBH. Not even in the same league.
Oh well

Ignoring the proportions and color/finish choices, which I think are very much a matter of tastes, for me it comes down to this. Both modes are very very messy. There's gaps and obvious panel lines everywhere. The upper torso, particularly the top and back, are a huge mess in regards to that. Other areas have issues as well but that section is the worst offender for me.

Both modes also have very broken silhouettes. This is difficult to explain but there's no clean lines to the form. If you took and outlined either mode that outline would look strange and confusing. There's often large steps between different areas. For example in bot mode where the waist transitions to the pelvis or in gun mode where the top of the gun suddenly has this higher shelf where the scope sits. There's other issues with that but those are the most egregious.

The things I can really applaud are the general shape and appearance of the legs, the face sculpt, and the neat accessories he comes with. Notably I really like the battle damaged option parts.

Oh well

It’s an easy answer… not everyone thinks like you or agrees with you. It’s actually a pretty simple concept! :wink1:

Not being rude or anything… just saying your take isn’t shared by everyone. Myself included. You may like the look or whatever of a certain figure, but there is no such thing as “pure perfection”. There’s always something that’s not perfect. In my opinion, none of them are perfect. Pluses and minuses to them all. It gets hard to describe perfection with these things that are based off of a cartoon character… a cartoon character that looks different in some way (size, colors, details, shapes) in every scene. They all try to replicate how it looked to them in their designs. It’s all about personal opinion and someone’s take on it when they design... and same thing when people buy.

I was really impressed when I first saw MP36. Then noticed some flaws (in my eyes) that I just couldn't unsee. Once I realised it wasn't for me I picked up Mightron and have no regrets. I already had XT Apollyon and, while I like the alt-mode, I always knew it wouldn't be my final Megatron. Happy for those who're excited for MP36 though :)

I have Apollyon and for me, there isn't enough to me personally to want to swap to the official... ESPECIALLY at the ridiculous price point! (excluding jumping on the japan pre order sites... talking retail)

the alt mode is a little cleaner than the official… but never display my stuff in alt mode as I don’t have space... so everyone needs to be standing to fit everything! Lol His bot mode looks good to me as well… not saying it’s the best as none of them are the best in my opinion… as I said, I think they all suffer. If I didn’t have Apollyon, I’m sure I’d look at the official as it looks pretty good. Not because of being one of those people who are tunnel vision HASTAK… but because it looks the closest so far of all the options.

Ignoring the proportions and color/finish choices, which I think are very much a matter of tastes, for me it comes down to this. Both modes are very very messy. There's gaps and obvious panel lines everywhere. The upper torso, particularly the top and back, are a huge mess in regards to that. Other areas have issues as well but that section is the worst offender for me.

Both modes also have very broken silhouettes. This is difficult to explain but there's no clean lines to the form. If you took and outlined either mode that outline would look strange and confusing. There's often large steps between different areas. For example in bot mode where the waist transitions to the pelvis or in gun mode where the top of the gun suddenly has this higher shelf where the scope sits. There's other issues with that but those are the most egregious.

The things I can really applaud are the general shape and appearance of the legs, the face sculpt, and the neat accessories he comes with. Notably I really like the battle damaged option parts.

The legs are def clean, but that dam big toe look that he shares w/ shockwave! Never been a fan. But agree the accessories are really nice and the battle damaged stuff to correspond to the movie was pretty slick!

even though this megatron looks fantastic my collection habits gravitate towards the more stylish renditions so I'm really waiting for the 3RD party companies to start dropping this version of megatron

tf-ongoing-15-cropped.jpg

that's the one I really want.

It’s an easy answer… not everyone thinks like you or agrees with you. It’s actually a pretty simple concept! :wink1:

Not being rude or anything… just saying your take isn’t shared by everyone. Myself included. You may like the look or whatever of a certain figure, but there is no such thing as “pure perfection”. There’s always something that’s not perfect. In my opinion, none of them are perfect. Pluses and minuses to them all. It gets hard to describe perfection with these things that are based off of a cartoon character… a cartoon character that looks different in some way (size, colors, details, shapes) in every scene. They all try to replicate how it looked to them in their designs. It’s all about personal opinion and someone’s take on it when they design... and same thing when people buy.

That's not being rude, you're good.

The way I see it though, is that based on the the latest releases, Takara is going for cartoon accuracy, and when it comes to that, this Megatron is the one to get. So yea, I might have said it wrong, I realize what I like is not going to be shared with everyone.

One has to stop and think though, a fully realized cartoon accurate Megatron that transform into an accurate pistol is not going to be an easy task. There's gotta be sacrifices. Some mention all the panels, lines, etc etc, and yeah, there's that. But I'd love to see another company do what TT has accomplished here. Is nothing sort of magnificent! Imagine what they'll be able to do 10 yrs from now.

Some might like Comic Megatron. Some might like an artistic interpretation, and that's all ok. But when most think of Megatron, they all remember the badly drawn, all over the place cartoon, and this here seals the deal on that nostalgia factor. It's everything!

Now we just need that new Optimus. MP 10 is really not doing it for me any longer.

This just looks glorious.

But like I did with MP Ultra Magnus and Inferno, I'm not watching anything until I get mine. I need to experience this transformation without any previous knowledge.

9 days!!!

That transformation is a complex as I expect it to be, and the design and engineering on it is pretty amazing. Can't wait to get mine as well.

You should replace that foil sticker with just a white outline one. I did that with mine and it blends in fantastically well. Same kind of effect as with the official MP.

MP Megatron looks spectacular. Not for me, but there is no doubt he captures the cartoon aesthetic 100%.

You should replace that foil sticker with just a white outline one. I did that with mine and it blends in fantastically well. Same kind of effect as with the official MP.

MP Megatron looks spectacular. Not for me, but there is no doubt he captures the cartoon aesthetic 100%.

I'm planning on replacing them, though not with white outline stickers. Never been a fan of those. I'm probably going to use the cartoon stickers, the non-outline type since he's already black. I like the black outline ones for most bots.

Edt:

Like so:

MMC Jaguar by James Seaman, on Flickr

Last edited:

Positives - Accessories, cartoon accuracy

Negatives- the plastic looks cheap nasty, cartoon accuracy p

I can't see past the cheap plasticy look sadly and whilst the cartoon aesthetic will appeal to a percentage and I see the nostalgic appeal, this isn't what I signed up for when the MP line first came around. I prefer 'modern take on the original toy line.'

Like has been mentioned, each of the Megs so far have their positives and negs and as such, I still don't see a definitive one yet that stands head and shoulders above the rest. That being said, my choice of Maketoys interpretation just about holds sway with me still and this Takara release hasn't changed that decision.; I'm actually a touch disappointed :(

Last edited:
This is probably one of the toughest Transformers to design to make Megatron accurate in robot and gun mode. The colors of it could be a little better, but it still looks good to me.

Back