ALL THINGS TRANSFORMERS!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got around to play with Sunsurge (Sideswipe) today for a bit,

He's a great looking Sideswipe in both modes, really, really good looking. He looks great in hand, as compared to some pics that make him look weird and having duck feet. It's one of those figures that is hard to photograph.

But, I gotta say, i don't know what it is about this guy's transformation. What a trip to hell. It is not enjoyable at all, nowhere near the finesse that most TT MP's are know for for sure, and even other 3P's companies.

Another thing I read a lot about this guys is it's build quality. Some praise it, some think he feels cheap. I don't think he feels any better than any TT Carbot (probably better than Tracks) but for the price, I feel a bit ripped off TBH. Lots of (quality) plastic and zero diecast. Not that i care about diecast, but many peeps seem to state that as a defining quality issue when it comes to "official" vs "3p" none of that exists here.

Fake chest actually works quite cleverly here. Otherwise he would be an overweight bastard, lol.

I like it. Would i upgrade if someone releases a better version? Absolutely. Does he look kick ass in both modes? He looks dreamy.

But that transformation is HIDEOUS. And changing the Chrome wheels for the silver ones seem to be an impossible task.

Chip is a nice addition. But for $100 one would expect a better humanoid. Hes literally made out of ****.

He's a great looking Sideswipe in both modes, really, really good looking. He looks great in hand, as compared to some pics that make him look weird and having duck feet. It's one of those figures that is hard to photograph.

But, I gotta say, i don't know what it is about this guy's transformation. What a trip to hell. It is not enjoyable at all, nowhere near the finesse that most TT MP's are know for for sure, and even other 3P's companies.

Another thing I read a lot about this guys is it's build quality. Some praise it, some think he feels cheap. I don't think he feels any better than any TT Carbot (probably better than Tracks) but for the price, I feel a bit ripped off TBH. Lots of (quality) plastic and zero diecast. Not that i care about diecast, but many peeps seem to state that as a defining quality issue when it comes to "official" vs "3p" none of that exists here.

Fake chest actually works quite cleverly here. Otherwise he would be an overweight bastard, lol.

I like it. Would i upgrade if someone releases a better version? Absolutely. Does he look kick ass in both modes? He looks dreamy.

But that transformation is HIDEOUS. And changing the Chrome wheels for the silver ones seem to be an impossible task.

Chip is a nice addition. But for $100 one would expect a better humanoid. Hes literally made out of ****.

Lovely work by BC. I'm tempted to pick Warpath, but many videos state his trasformation to be even worse. I don't mind the challenge, but IMO, a MP styled TF should not feel like a puzzle while blinded.

Lovely work by BC. I'm tempted to pick Warpath, but many videos state his trasformation to be even worse. I don't mind the challenge, but IMO, a MP styled TF should not feel like a puzzle while blinded.

Glad you've enjoyed some things about Sunsurge.

I honestly didn't find the transformation any worse than the average figure, it took a bit longer than some, but that's all.

I think diecast is a nice addition if not overused, but it's by no means a must have.

I haven't changed the rims as chrome was my preferred choice.

The Chip figure is crappy, Badcube have even admitted as much on their FB page and have said they'll try to improve their future human figures. I never particularly wanted one in the first place and both mine stay in the box so it's no big deal.

In my experience Warpath had one section that threw me because the turret pieces were asymmetrical, once I realised that it was an easy enough process.

Listening to some of the hyperbole online you'd think that transforming the two figures was harder than open heart surgery but it really isn't the case, all you need is patience and some common sense.

Prices being what they are here in the UK means I always feel like I overpay for everything, if I think a figure is too much I just don't buy it.

Glad you've enjoyed some things about Sunsurge.

I honestly didn't find the transformation any worse than the average figure, it took a bit longer than some, but that's all.

I think diecast is a nice addition if not overused, but it's by no means a must have.

I haven't changed the rims as chrome was my preferred choice.

The Chip figure is crappy, Badcube have even admitted as much on their FB page and have said they'll try to improve their future human figures. I never particularly wanted one in the first place and both mine stay in the box so it's no big deal.

In my experience Warpath had one section that threw me because the turret pieces were asymmetrical, once I realised that it was an easy enough process.

Listening to some of the hyperbole online you'd think that transforming the two figures was harder than open heart surgery but it really isn't the case, all you need is patience and some common sense.

Prices being what they are here in the UK means I always feel like I overpay for everything, if I think a figure is too much I just don't buy it.

Oh, I know trasformation is not THAT bad, but one has come to expect something a bit different from a MP figure. I like taking pics of MP's in mid transformation, and I like how most of them look like they were doing it in the cartoon. Sunsurge looks like someone put a grenade inside him! lol.

But now that I've transformed it more times, the process becomes easier, and yes, I don't mind it all that much. I just think it could have been better, is all.

I get that pricing varies depending on where you live, but in my case (and many, really) a car-bot imported from a Japanese store sometimes tops at $65 shipped (Hot rod) $130-$140 for Ultra Magnus, and roughly $75 for Ironhide. When you factor that, and see that a 3P Carbot costs you $105 shipped, you can see how some complaints about the price are originated. He's definitely overpriced, more so in some parts of the world, but definitely overpriced. Yes, I get that 3P costs are different than TT's but still, it makes you think about it. Thankfully, I don't collect anything else at the moment, so it's no big deal.

As it is, I really like it. Now bring Hoist, Skids, and a second run of Brawn!

Oh, I know trasformation is not THAT bad, but one has come to expect something a bit different from a MP figure. I like taking pics of MP's in mid transformation, and I like how most of them look like they were doing it in the cartoon. Sunsurge looks like someone put a grenade inside him! lol.

But now that I've transformed it more times, the process becomes easier, and yes, I don't mind it all that much. I just think it could have been better, is all.

I get that pricing varies depending on where you live, but in my case (and many, really) a car-bot imported from a Japanese store sometimes tops at $65 shipped (Hot rod) $130-$140 for Ultra Magnus, and roughly $75 for Ironhide. When you factor that, and see that a 3P Carbot costs you $105 shipped, you can see how some complaints about the price are originated. He's definitely overpriced, more so in some parts of the world, but definitely overpriced. Yes, I get that 3P costs are different than TT's but still, it makes you think about it. Thankfully, I don't collect anything else at the moment, so it's no big deal.

As it is, I really like it. Now bring Hoist, Skids, and a second run of Brawn!

Were I living in the States I doubt I'd have any reason to complain much about pricing.

$65 shipped for Hot Rod is $10 cheaper than the best UK price.

$75 shipped for Ironhide is $25 cheaper than the best UK price.

$130-$140 for Ultra Magnus is $60-$70 cheaper than the best UK price.

I got my Sunsurges for the equivalent of about $80 each, which was a rare case of a 3rd party figure being priced more sensibly. There has been a slight improvement in 3rd party pricing of late, it's something Make Toys should take a look at because their figures are usually among the most expensive.

I think Badcube have said on their FB page they're doing another run of Brawn & Outback.

Compared to Sunsurge transforming that mold is an absolute breeze. There's one element to the transformation that'll have you wondering why they didn't add a tab to completely lock a part in but it doesn't have an adverse effect on the robot mode which is stable enough to make Brawn live up to his name,

Brawn also comes with the comedy drill attachment which makes him look like something from Wacky Races :lol

so, what's the general consensus when it comes to 3rd party dinobots? which are the best ones?

which are the favorites, and why?

If you want to buy the whole line at once, then Fans Toys is the only option. I own Fans Toys Soar and I love the feel of him, Transformation is clean and nice. Just take it slow because Fans Toys seem to make all the joints very tight, and in some cases they are so tight you hear plastic to plastic creek noise which is not good. You can use a little drop of liquid silicone to alleviate that.

For me I'm holding out for Gigapower to complete the rest of my collection. Gigapower Guttur is a larger scale than Fans Toys. The Chrome version is beautiful and has a wonderful solid transformation. It may take them 5 more years to release the rest of the team. Gigapower communicates very well on FB and listens to feedback from the community. My heart is with Gigapower :love

MP-scaled Dastardly and Mutt figures would be fantastic.

They could use the Seekers to try and stop the pigeon :lol

I wish Dr Wu would do more of their human figures as the ones they've done already are much better than anyone else's.

I'd be intrested in a better Chip and Raoul if they made them and think Dr Arkeville would be a nice addition as well.

I also got Ironhide some days ago. It is not that bad, but seems like designs have changed compared to earlier releases like Sideswipe, Prowl, Wheeljack etc. Tracks and Ironhide looks somewhat different if you put them next to those other guys. Not sure if that is such a horrible thing, but it bothers me a bit. Seems like this current designer have this kind of a "retro" look going on. Yeah, they are supposed to look G1, but that is not what I mean.

I also got Ironhide some days ago. It is not that bad, but seems like designs have changed compared to earlier releases like Sideswipe, Prowl, Wheeljack etc. Tracks and Ironhide looks somewhat different if you put them next to those other guys. Not sure if that is such a horrible thing, but it bothers me a bit. Seems like this current designer have this kind of a "retro" look going on. Yeah, they are supposed to look G1, but that is not what I mean.

The Designers have changed. The previous work was by Shogo Hasui.
All the new stuff like Tracks / Iron Hide are from Kobayashi

MP10 & 12-21 were designed with Shogo Hasui leading the team.

His philosophy was to use various sources of reference to form an idealised version of each character. In interviews he's mentioned that he didn't think using just the cartoon was a good idea and that he always looked at the original toys, comics and real world vehicles they had the licenses for as well.

Hironori Kobayashi did MP01, MP08, MP09 & MP11 and then took over as lead designer for MP22 onwards.

He's only using the animation models for reference on his current stint and he's being VERY slavish to them, right down to the minimalistic detailing and odd proportions.

MP10 & 12-21 were designed with Shogo Hasui leading the team.

His philosophy was to use various sources of reference to form an idealised version of each character. In interviews he's mentioned that he didn't think using just the cartoon was a good idea and that he always looked at the original toys, comics and real world vehicles they had the licenses for as well.

Hironori Kobayashi did MP01, MP08, MP09 & MP11 and then took over as lead designer for MP22 onwards.

He's only using the animation models for reference on his current stint and he's being VERY slavish to them, right down to the minimalistic detailing and odd proportions.

I think Hasui's desings are better. Hmph...well this does not mean I wouldn't buy those any more, but I do wish they would have kept Hasui.

I think Hasui's desings are better. Hmph...well this does not mean I wouldn't buy those any more, but I do wish they would have kept Hasui.

I prefer Hasui's style too.

I did try to see if I could be won over by Kobayashi's designs and bought Tracks but I thought it was a massive step backwards from previous carbots.

I won't be giving any other post MP21 figures a chance.

Received the Wei Jiang AOE Prime and the oversized trailer that works with both this figure and the oversize MP-10.

Every single one of these makes the official versions look like cheap knockoffs. The paint, plastic (and metal!!!) and detail are all superior. Not only are they larger, but they are available for less money as well. I'm loving these figures so much that I'm going to get rid of my Hasbro versions.

So far I have purchased (including shipping):
Oversize Grimlock (free or $125)
Oversize MP10 Prime ($99)
Oversize MP10 Prime Trailer ($49)
Oversize AOE Prime ($99)

All things transformers!!!!

Received the Wei Jiang AOE Prime and the oversized trailer that works with both this figure and the oversize MP-10.

Every single one of these makes the official versions look like cheap knockoffs. The paint, plastic (and metal!!!) and detail are all superior. Not only are they larger, but they are available for less money as well. I'm loving these figures so much that I'm going to get rid of my Hasbro versions.

So far I have purchased (including shipping):
Oversize Grimlock (free or $125)
Oversize MP10 Prime ($99)
Oversize MP10 Prime Trailer ($49)
Oversize AOE Prime ($99)

There was no engineering costs associated with those KO's. They didn't have to design a transformation, all they did was scan, and print a larger robot with some Diecast in it. I'm not a toy manufacturer, but it doesn't take that much to see how they can be cheaper. Even the 3P scene has great designers.

A KO? Of course it's going to be cheaper, even if it's bigger and has Diecast (which has absolutely zero effect on how toys are priced).

I'm not knocking them down or anything, but it's just a different manufacturing process.

Can Takara do better when it comes to more Diecast and probably "better" plastic? Maybe. But their strategy seems to be working just fine.

Disagree about the whole post Hasui downfall. It's a bit exaggerated (not here, but in general) The way I see it, we are getting figures we dreamed of as kids. I have no problem with his designs. But of course, to each It's own.

Last edited:
I dont exactly know where to put the Decepticon badges on my oversized Predacons by Jinbao, but here they are.
Not exactly as "awesome" as they were combined though.

Probably a new paint, new hands that could be rotated at the wrist, faceplates could make them better.

I hope I got all the names right for each robot.

IMG_20160315_125830.jpg

Razorclaw

IMG_20160315_130013.jpg

Divebomb

IMG_20160315_130503.jpg

Rampage

IMG_20160315_130554.jpg

Felisaber

IMG_20160315_131042.jpg

tantrum

IMG_20160315_131224.jpg

Headstrong

IMG_20160315_131513.jpg

Predacons by Jinbao group shot

IMG_20160315_132200.jpg

Predacons with MP Prowl and MP Tracks

IMG_20160315_133814.jpg

Divebomb and MP Starscream , was not able to capture how big the wingspan is on this pix

Really helps to highlight how off the MP Ironhide is :D

Really digging that FansToys Hound. Hopefully they'll do the toy-accurate colors, as well. As I've had him in-hand awhile now, Gun-Dog has lost a bit of his luster, and I think I would prefer to just have two versions of the FansToys mold.

Back