All things Muppets!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea of the bait and switch, but there wasn't a single funny scene to me there, and they didn't show enough of the Muppets to indicate that they are any different from what we've seen over the last 10-15 years. The Fozzie comment at the end was kind of cool because it seemed to reference something from the beginning of the Great Muppet Caper (which was charming in the context of that movie). But even there, it's kind of a throw-away line and not the kind of thing you want to include in a trailer IMO.

i'm looking forward to the movie but that trailer really didn't do anything for me. didn't find anything funny. and am i the only who doesn't find jason segel funny at all? i don't get the love for this guy.

I thought he was great in Freaks and Geeks, but he never struck me as a leading man. He's better suited to being as a character actor in bit parts, IMO. Same with Seth Rogan, and Jack Black for that matter. Those guys aren't very good in large doses. I just hope he plays second fiddle to the Muppets in this one.

The trailer in detail:

https://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/05/breaking-down-green-with-envy-trailer.html

Love this shot!!

TheMuppetsTeaser12.jpg

The apparent focus on Henson-era Muppets and references is the best thing I can take away from the trailer. Cool to see Bobby Benson. Some of the freakier Muppet sketches, IMO:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0oJ-tkexgs"]YouTube - ‪The Muppet Show 14 - Bobby Bensons Baby Band‬‏[/ame]

The apparent focus on Henson-era Muppets and references is the best thing I can take away from the trailer.

Word.

Although I did miss seeing Rizzo....and *cough*Pepe*cough* in the Teaser though.

I hope at least Rizzo is in this since I like his and Gonzo's relationship. I've heard that Pepe is there, but in a VERY limited role.

I didn't mind it, could hav been better, but hey it is a teaser, really hope they don't emphasize too much on Segal and Adams (although I do find them likeable, it shouldn't be about them) Got me excited to see it though, been a long time since the last movie. Can't wait!

I think Frank Oz being absent will be quite noticeable when the film is released...

I could tell something was off when we heard that Fozzie line at the end of the trailer.

I am still super excited though!

I really don't think the majority of this footage is actually movie footage, i think it was specifically made for the bait & switch.

I sense it will be more more Muppety than we can almost handle... at least i hope so. :)

M.

Frank Oz hasn't done Fozzie since 1999 :dunno...

And Eric's Fozzie has come a loooong way. (still not big on the 'new' look of him though. The head/mouth shape seems to round....)

My fave look for Fozzie.
68832434221963349.jpeg

Current look for Fozzie.
fozzy-bear-whittaker.jpg

the differences are subtle, but it changes the look pretty drastically imo. :(

Last edited:
I love the Muppets and I cannot wait to see this film.

Having said that, the problem with all modern Muppet endeavors is that no matter how talented these Muppeteers are (and they are EXTREMELY talented) they are just imitating someone else's work. Eric's Fozzie will NEVER be Frank's Fozzie. Steve's Kermit is not Jim's.... Both characters lack the dynamic that made those characters grow and thrive... the one created by Jim and Frank. They are the most modern example of a Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello... the classic comic duo. The shadow cast is indeed formidable.

I recently watched Muppet Take Manhattan and I was struck on how subtle and nuanced the performance of Kermit was in that film. Jim stated in an interview once that since he wasn't directing that film, it allowed him to concentrate on his character and to push his perfomance. It is probably my favorite Muppet film to date.

Although I love the classic characters, I wonder what kinds of characters these talent performers would come up with if given the opportunity to create a whole new Muppet world.

If only we would let them.

They were in a sense given the opportunity when they launched Muppets Tonight... a VERY underrated show. But we know what happened there. Nobody watched.

Love him or hate him, Pepe is an original creation. And he is my favorite of the current Muppets. But what happened to Seymour?

The new nose-less character really creeps me out! But that's a funnier trailer... mostly because of Danny Trejo's cameo.

I love the Muppets and I cannot wait to see this film.

Having said that, the problem with all modern Muppet endeavors is that no matter how talented these Muppeteers are (and they are EXTREMELY talented) they are just imitating someone else's work. Eric's Fozzie will NEVER be Frank's Fozzie. Steve's Kermit is not Jim's.... Both characters lack the dynamic that made those characters grow and thrive... the one created by Jim and Frank. They are the most modern example of a Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello... the classic comic duo. The shadow cast is indeed formidable.

I recently watched Muppet Take Manhattan and I was struck on how subtle and nuanced the performance of Kermit was in that film. Jim stated in an interview once that since he wasn't directing that film, it allowed him to concentrate on his character and to push his perfomance. It is probably my favorite Muppet film to date.

Although I love the classic characters, I wonder what kinds of characters these talent performers would come up with if given the opportunity to create a whole new Muppet world.

If only we would let them.

They were in a sense given the opportunity when they launched Muppets Tonight... a VERY underrated show. But we know what happened there. Nobody watched.

Love him or hate him, Pepe is an original creation. And he is my favorite of the current Muppets. But what happened to Seymour?
You make some good points. And honestly, I did sort of enjoy Muppets Tonight when it first aired (though I haven't really watched it since). Maybe it is best to just leave the old Muppets in the past and not place unreasonable expectations on the newer guys taking over who have talent, but could never replicate the genius of the Muppet Show.

Muppet Blu-rays....?

https://www.toughpigs.com/fuzzy-and-blu-ray/

If there’s one thing the Muppets are seriously lacking these days, it’s proper DVD releases. We’ve been waiting for the fourth and fifth seasons of The Muppet Show, as well as quality versions of the Muppet movies. We now have a hint that things may be moving in a good direction starting with The Muppets Take Manhattan and Muppets From Space on Blu-Ray.

Now, take all of this with a grain of salt. We’ve found links on Amazon.com (here and here) saying that these two Blu-Rays are available for pre-order, due for release on August 16, 2011. But with no pictures or extra details, it’s easy to see why we’re dubious. Oh, and also because they list actor Lambert Wilson as being the star of the films. Wilson was not available for comment.

So while all of this may amount to nothing, it’s nice to think that Blu-Rays of the Muppet movies will be coming our way shortly. And with the new movie coming up this fall, it’s not a moment too soon.

Back