All things Marvel Legends/Marvel Select/Marvel Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having to slog through all that HT Iron Man masturbatory BS to find this was tough.
Tony Stark is a drunk POS who cares about no one and I wish he'd just disappear from the MU altogether. Iron Man looks neat, but that's about it. Garbage character.

That said, I LOVE the Diamond Select line of Marvel characters. The sculpts are incredible, and the pieces I've picked up are fun and enjoyable. These are things I need more of.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa what exactly is wrong with being drunk?

Picked up the Marvel Select Winter Soldier today at the Disney Store. Great looking figure.

Hello, guys!
I've been looking for a thread like this because I wanted to ask for your advise. I'm interested to start collecting Marvel figures, specially the 90s show Jim Lee's X-men. I didn't have the money to collect anything back in the day when Legends came out (still in school and stuff) but now I want to catch up. I asked in my local stores and fellow collectors through Facebook and all of them say to start collecting Legends. Considering that they can say that because they already have a very nice mass collection on their own through the years, I believe that their suggestions were not objective, since, some of the figures are way too pricey because of the time it has been since their release. So I need to ask you, objectively, what line do you recommend me to collect based on my primary preference?
Select?
Legends?
Universe?
I've been wondering about his all week since I want to begin asap. But for instance, most of the Jim Lee's designs are in the Universe line, and Wolverine or Juggernaut of that designs are too expensive or too rare, but Magneto in Universe line is ugly in comparison to Select or the absence of Cyclops in the Legends line (excluding the Xmen Classics along with Storm in white costume) or Rogue. What do you believe is the perfect balance on both diversity and affordability (and accessibility, character-wise speaking)? Should I prefer Legends with hopes that Hasbro releases some of the old wave figures (like Colossus, or Juggernaut, or Mystique?).
I've seen some collectors that have mixed-up collections, mixing Legends with Select (like Select Sabretooth and Magneto along with Legends Mystique and Pyro for the Brotherhood). Is that a recommended path? I'm very lost and confused, most of Legends figures in my country in loose conditions/no base are over $50 (I'm from Chile, south america) and I think they are gettin a bit pricey, imo. What to do?! :C
Hoping to read your thoughts soon, thanks a lot in advanced

I'd say go for mixed collection. It's hard to stay in one line especially if a particular character was made better in a different line from the one you're collecting. While I can't say for certain about MU (so don't take this as if I'm necessarily discouraging the idea of collecting the line), mixing Select and Legends (or Toybiz/Hasbro Marvel figs in general) is a pretty good idea. Back then I used to only stick with Legends, but throughout the years Select has gotten better and better to the point that you can actually mix figures together, depending on how good they look when put beside each other. Be careful about the size though, Select tends to have a bigger scale and I can only recommend grabbing one if the character themselves lend well to getting a bit of that height boost among a group, if they can look decent enough if posed as if they're flying (thus eliminating the scale issue since it's hard to gauge their height) or if they're normally a giant (eg. Juggernaut).

I'd say go for mixed collection. It's hard to stay in one line especially if a particular character was made better in a different line from the one you're collecting. While I can't say for certain about MU (so don't take this as if I'm necessarily discouraging the idea of collecting the line), mixing Select and Legends (or Toybiz/Hasbro Marvel figs in general) is a pretty good idea. Back then I used to only stick with Legends, but throughout the years Select has gotten better and better to the point that you can actually mix figures together, depending on how good they look when put beside each other. Be careful about the size though, Select tends to have a bigger scale and I can only recommend grabbing one if the character themselves lend well to getting a bit of that height boost among a group, if they can look decent enough if posed as if they're flying (thus eliminating the scale issue since it's hard to gauge their height) or if they're normally a giant (eg. Juggernaut).

Thanks for your response, I really apreciate it.
I saw that Dr.Doom was re released by Hasbro in Legends, was that only random or they plan to rerelease old figures?

Hi guys, it's me again, well I was looking up through the web and reviewng from youtube to other site's databases and I made a list with the figures I "guess" will look good mixing up select with legends, please let me know your thoughts:
X-men Team:
Legends Hasbro Jim Lee Jean
Legends Red Hulk wave Wolverine
X-men Classics toy biz white costume Storm
X-men Classics toy biz Jim Lee Cyclops (or wait until Hasbro release a Legends one, I think he looks shorter than average)
Select Colossus
Legends series 4 Gambit
Legends series 4 Beast
Legends series 14 Psylocke (ugly) or X-Force 3 Pack (better, or wait 'til Hasbro re-release her in regular colour)

Evil Guys:
Legends Mystique (white costume)
Select Magneto
Select Sabretooth
Select Juggernaut
Legends Pyro
Legends Mr. Synyster
Legends Omega Red
Apocalypse BAF

Have Marvel Legends 2x Carnage, 1x Black Cat, 1x AIM Soldier, 1x Hydra Soldier for sale/trade. All MISB. Shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Hi guys, it's me again, well I was looking up through the web and reviewng from youtube to other site's databases and I made a list with the figures I "guess" will look good mixing up select with legends, please let me know your thoughts:
X-men Team:
X-men Classics toy biz Jim Lee Cyclops (or wait until Hasbro release a Legends one, I think he looks shorter than average)
Select Colossus
Legends series 4 Gambit
Legends series 4 Beast
Legends series 14 Psylocke (ugly) or X-Force 3 Pack (better, or wait 'til Hasbro re-release her in regular colour)

Evil Guys:
Select Magneto
Select Sabretooth
Select Juggernaut
Legends Pyro
Legends Mr. Synyster
Legends Omega Red
Apocalypse BAF

I sent you a pm

X-men Team:
Select Colossus
Legends series 4 Gambit
Legends series 4 Beast

Evil Guys:
Select Magneto
Select Sabretooth
Select Juggernaut
Legends Pyro
Legends Mr. Synyster
Legends Omega Red
Apocalypse BAF

Great list! Yeah I'd say go for Hasbro's X-Force Psylocke. Admittedly I don't doubt them re-releasing her in her regular colors either so it's not unrealistic to wait like what they did to Archangel. The old Jim Lee Cyclops wasn't too bad, but considering how Hasbro recently made Jean Grey in her Jim Lee costume I'm just wondering if Hasbro will do the same for Cyclops in this regard (though we can never be too sure). Also you could check the reviews on OAFE, they provide a decent enough insight on some (not all) of the figures you've listed: OAFE.net

Great list! Yeah I'd say go for Hasbro's X-Force Psylocke. Admittedly I don't doubt them re-releasing her in her regular colors either so it's not unrealistic to wait like what they did to Archangel. The old Jim Lee Cyclops wasn't too bad, but considering how Hasbro recently made Jean Grey in her Jim Lee costume I'm just wondering if Hasbro will do the same for Cyclops in this regard (though we can never be too sure). Also you could check the reviews on OAFE, they provide a decent enough insight on some (not all) of the figures you've listed: OAFE.net

Hehe thanks! At least now I have a list, but now I need to start to hunt down the figures. I apreciate a lot the feedback since Im not a ML savvy at all and Im just picking up these figures

Wow. Thats not offensive at all.:slap

Don't fret, I meant f-tard, which is totally acceptable now across the interwebz as a totally separate term, and is different and not at all like the other word. I have a burning hatred for Facebook. I guess that's where it could become offensive, if one is a member there.

Anyway, I wish I'd been into Selects before the Flash Thompson Venom came out, might've gotten one before they hit the bajillion dollar mark.

Marvel Select 'Stealth Suit' Captain America

ca1.jpg

Back